kill bill: the whole bloody affair

Started by Alethia, June 05, 2004, 12:03:13 AM

The Red Vine

http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/06/tarantino-dvd-avalanche-and-weinstein.html

Whole Bloody Affair is finally due for release later this year. Quite soon, in fact: September 18th. It's going direct to DVD as a 4-disc set. The film will be split across two discs which, to some at least, will strongly dilute the promised 'single film' nature of the enterprise (there are already arguments that this effectively renders it two films, that the changing of the discs is going to cause a break in the flow, no matter that the cut is designed to work best for a single sitting). The other 2-discs are to be stuffed to the gills with behind the scenes materials, of course, but we can apparently also expect material on the film's many predecessors, including a selection of trailers for half-forgotten 'classics'.

Interestingly, September 18th seems to be the release date for Death Proof on DVD also. There's to be two discs - the original double feature edit on one, the extended cut on the other (though, apparently, not exactly the same as the Cannes version). That these two dates are the same either means a big Tarantino push is coming from the Weinsteins or, simply, somebody got confused somewhere along the line and some of this just isn't true. The rumour has come at me from more than one direction, however... so we'll see...
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

MacGuffin

Quote from: filmick on June 11, 2007, 11:52:51 AMThe film will be split across two discs which, to some at least, will strongly dilute the promised 'single film' nature of the enterprise (there are already arguments that this effectively renders it two films, that the changing of the discs is going to cause a break in the flow, no matter that the cut is designed to work best for a single sitting).

I dunno 'bout that. It depends on how quick you can switch discs. QT had planned an intermission anyway:

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 03, 2006, 08:57:49 PMHe says: "I want to cut the whole movie together like one big epic with an intermission in the middle like a 60s film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: MacGuffin on June 11, 2007, 01:16:47 PM
I dunno 'bout that. It depends on how quick you can switch discs. QT had planned an intermission anyway:

If you have to stand up, it's a break in the flow.

However, the alternate reality is to have a five-hour movie all on one disc (can anybody say "compromised image quality"?).
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

compromised image qualiteurrrrrrgh.

under the paving stones.

polkablues

I'll never understand Australian accents.
My house, my rules, my coffee

The Sheriff

id fuck ayn rand

B.C. Long

hedwig

nope.

you, mac, silias, and QT are the only people who care.

cine

he's just wants his mom autograph it for him.  :yabbse-undecided:

hedwig

MacGuffin

Hope we can believe in - Tarantino talks Kill Bill redux
Source: The QT Archives

Not all hope is lost my friends. After Quentin Tarantino revealed his top 20 favorites both in the Spaghetti Western and in the grindhouse genre ("That grindhouse list made me start coming up with mine! But it's a good list...there's a lot of films that ... are on here."  he said), I started asking some long nagging questions. I felt as the ambassador of the fan community, I should ask what is going on with that long-overdue "integral" edition of Kill Bill, be it theatrically or on DVD. Let me take that back, actually I asked where that Kill Bill script on paperback was and Quentin assured me that it will come out in a longer version, he's just been putting the whole movie aside for a while. As you might know, the integral version of Kill Bill that was shown once in Cannes, is no longer what you'll eventually see, at least not completely.

"We've actually added some things to it. We did a whole little chapter that I wrote and designed for the animated sequence, that we never did, because we figured, back when it was gonna be one big movie, it was going to be too long, so we didn't do it. So when we were talking about re-releasing it, they asked is there anything you can put in, and I said no I put everything in there, but... there's one sequence that we wouldn't even have to shoot! So we got together with Production IG and did it, and it's really cool. So it's this little seven minute sequence, it's really cool, it's in the O-Ren chapter." - Quentin Tarantino

The version in Cannes was the way it will be, recut to be one movie, with an intermission, as supposed to two seperate ones with the cliffhanger and the tags. "It's more like a big 60s movie with the intermission. Oh, you'll just have to see it!" he laughs. Of course DVD release plans and all that stuff on the business end is potentially outside the influence of a director, but knowing that it's on the way is definitely better than speculating. The Quentin Tarantino Archives will keep you posted on the development. We've seen conceptual artwork of the DVD case a year ago at the ComiCon, we know what Quentin has to say about it, so with some more patience we'll have this WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR in our hands at some point. Stay tuned for more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

jigzaw

Good lord, does anyone even care about this anymore?  I was interested in seeing the Whole Bloody Affair, like, 5 years ago, but have moved on.  I've actually become pretty disenchanted with Tarantino and hope that his movie-universe-within-the-movie-universe (i.e. the movies the characters in his movies would go see) era is over for Tarantino as I find Kill Bill and Death Proof to be damn near unwatchable compared to his early work.  I'm hoping Inglorious Basterds brings us something interesting and new rather than yet another homage to some old forsaken "trash movie style".

MacGuffin

What Tarantino will add to a Kill Bill Blu-ray release
Source: SciFi Wire

Given the time and thought Quentin Tarantino devotes to developing each of his films, it's surprising how much their subsequent DVD releases seem like an afterthought. But the writer-director says that he plans to revisit—and expand—several long-gestating releases once he's finished with the promotion of his latest movie, Inglourious Basterds.

"When I'm through with this, I can actually finish the final Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair," Tarantino told reporters Sunday in a group interview in Beverly Hills, Calif.

"I need to do one thing with it, though," Tarantino said. "I'm not going to monkey around with the movie itself, but we've actually done a whole new section for the anime as the last thing [we added]. I actually wrote a much longer script for the anime section during O-Ren's revenge chapter. Remember the guy with the long hair that kills her father? It's like, what happened to that dude? Well, I wrote it and it was the biggest, most elaborate thing I wrote—her taking him down."

Tarantino said this material wasn't a separate story, but something always intended for the film—until other narratives took over, anyway. "This was when I thought Kill Bill was going to be one movie," he revealed. "So already I thought a 20-minute anime scene may be not the wisest move. So we didn't have them do it, so they were relieved they didn't have to do it because it was so big. [But] I actually showed it to Harvey Weinstein; I had the whole script written out shot for shot what it would be, so [I said], 'Harvey, this literally would make it complete. This is everything I came up with and wrote when I wrote it.' So Production IG just did it, and I just need to work with them a little bit and go over it with them—and I'll do that once this is officially behind me."

As for that long-awaited theatrical cut of Grindhouse? Tarantino admitted he's been delinquent getting that put together on DVD and Blu-ray, but said he was happy to see there was so much demand around the world for it, even without a proper home-video release.

"We've just been lazy getting around to Grindhouse, the full edition," Tarantino said. "One of the things that has been cool about that, though, is that the Grindhouse cut has actually been playing all over the world. It's becoming this thing that theaters or revival houses would have midnight shows, like in Australia or Ireland or Scotland."

"They don't want Death Proof, [and] they don't want Planet Terror," he said. "They want Grindhouse. It's one of those things that, like, in two months it's showing again [wherever] their local midnight Friday-Saturday screening is."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Quentin Tarantino Wishes He'd Seen 'Avatar' Before Making 'Kill Bill'
Source: MTV

Quentin Tarantino did not direct his two-part revenge thriller "Kill Bill" as well as he would have liked. And according to a statement made during a "Directors on Directing" panel held in Santa Barbara yesterday, it wasn't until the Oscar-nominated filmmaker saw "Avatar" that he realized, or at least recalled, what was missing.

No, he doesn't wish he'd included giant blue-skinned CG characters or done the movie with a lot of blue-screen work. Nor would he have made "Kill Bill" in 3-D. Rather, after watching fellow Oscar-nominee James Cameron's sci-fi blockbuster, Tarantino was reminded of his intended goal.

"One of the things I was thinking when I was watching 'Avatar,' he said, "was when I did 'Kill Bill' I had these grandiose visions in my head of the experience of watching the movie. And I actually wanted it to be more like a ride."

Tarantino was responding to a question regarding whether or not "Avatar" is a game changer for his own career, basically asking if the "Inglourious Basterds" director would ever shoot in 3-D. At first, he laughed the query away, acknowledging that "House of Wax" (the 1953 version) director Andre de Toth had already gone there.

More seriously, he went on to clarify that he had not wanted "Kill Bill" to be the kind of movie you watch at a multiplex and then go home and have pie and forget about it. Unfortunately, he admitted, he doesn't think he achieved his vision of having the film(s) immerse the audience into this world in that way.

"I think the closest may be the House of Blue Leaves sequence," he said. "Or maybe the coffin sequence."

Despite his confession of slight disappointment, however, Tarantino explained that he does think "Kill Bill" is "good" and possibly the work he's most proud of. It just wasn't the complete, "most" vision that he had in his head for the story.

"That's the ride I was trying to do," he said of "Avatar."

Skeleton FilmWorks