Brett Ratner

Started by Spike, June 13, 2003, 04:09:31 PM

pete

Jackie Chan was good when he directed his own films, then he lost it after he gave his films to pushovers much younger than him who would comply with all his demands but turn in shitty movies.  He had 6 directors in three units for some of his more recent films, 'cause he just wanted to rush to make the opening weekends.  Same thing with the American market, except they keep him on a tight leash with American studio politics.  Ratner set the tone for it; he showed the studios how much Jackie was willing to give up for the American market, then after that, Jackie got comfortable and settled for less and less.  I hope he goes back to filmmaking 'cause I really do love his films.

these two scenes are to serve how brilliant he used to be:
short fight from crime story
http://youtube.com/watch?v=l2Jsvh4UaSI

long fight from Heart of the Dragon (directed by his bro Sammo)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XPasXFOmiM8
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pumba

That's hilarious. Is this a hoax?

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

diggler

i got down to the bottom and realized... shit, there's seven pages of this!?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

john

Quote from: ddiggler on December 12, 2007, 10:14:05 PM
i got down to the bottom and realized... shit, there's seven pages of this!?

That's the exact response I had... and probably everyone else, right?

What the fuck is in this article that constitutes seven fucking pages? A list of actresses Ratner has conned into blowing him? Because THAT... I probably still wouldn't read.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

squints

the guy over at filmdrunk.com posted this today and it had me laughing out loud:

The Grand - Looks like Poker's getting the Best in Show treatment. I'm offended. First, they tried to pass it off as a Christopher Guest movie when it's not.  Next, they tried to sneak a Brett Ratner cameo past me.  Not gonna happen, fellas. I can smell him.  He smells not unlike microwave Chimichangas.

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

MacGuffin

Ratner eyes Valiant's 'Harbinger'
Paramount adapting comicbook series into film
Source: Variety

Paramount Pictures has acquired rights to turn the Valiant Comics series "Harbinger" into a live-action feature that will be developed as a potential directing vehicle for Brett Ratner.

Alexandra Milchan will produce with Ratner and Jay Stern. The project may be branded under the MTV Films banner.

Created by Jim Shooter, the "Harbinger" comicbook series became a hit when published in the 1990s. Harbingers are humans with powers that can be unlocked by "omega" harbingers. Teenager Pete Stanchek finds himself on a collision course with an older "omega" who used his gifts to become an evil industrialist.

"The movie is in the vein of a young 'Blade Runner,' as this 17-year- old gifted kid helps other kids tap into these parts of their brains," Milchan said.

Ratner, who directed "X-Men: The Last Stand," was looking for an opportunity to start a superhero franchise from scratch. Project will be scripted while Ratner continues work on other directing projects, including "Playboy," the Brian Grazer-produced film about Playboy magazine founder Hugh Hefner for Universal.

Valiant Comics is being relaunched by Valiant Entertainment Group, a privately financed company headed by CEO Jason Kothari and chief creative officer Dinesh Shamdasani, both of whom will be co-producers on the film.

Valiant Comics developed a strong following by launching hero franchises that had interconnected storylines (much like DC and Marvel titles). Company, which sold 80 million comicbooks and 8 million videogames, was sold to vidgame company Acclaim Entertainment in 1994 for $65 million but had done little recently as that company hit the financial rocks.

Kothari's group bought the Valiant library last year after Acclaim filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Its plan is to republish its best titles and begin generating new issues by year's end. Valiant signed with WMA to make movie deals for the franchises.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner in talks for 'Shrinking Man'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Brett Ratner is in negotiations to direct Universal Pictures and Imagine Entertainment's remake of "The Incredible Shrinking Man." Brian Grazer is producing the project, which has Eddie Murphy attached to star.

An updated version of the best-selling novel and 1957 sci-fi classic starring Grant Williams, "Man" is taking the comedic approach to the fantastical material, telling the story of a famous Las Vegas magician who is put under a spell that causes him to shrink. He must find a way to reverse the spell before he gets so small that he "disappears."

Thomas Lennon and Robert Ben Garant penned the most recent draft of the screenplay for the project, which had previously seen Pete Segal and Keenen Ivory Wayans in the director's chair.

Universal president of production Donna Langley and executive vp production Peter Cramer will oversee for the studio.

Ratner, one of the town's most commercial directors, is currently helming one of the short subjects in the "New York, I Love You" anthology film. At Universal, he is also attached to direct "Playboy," Grazer's project about Hugh Hefner.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Eddie Murphy back in 'Beverly Hills'
Brett Ratner negotiating to direct 4th 'Cop' film
Source: Variety

On the heels of the successful revival of the "Indiana Jones" franchise, Paramount has set in motion a fourth installment of "Beverly Hills Cop."

Eddie Murphy is attached to reprise his role as Detroit detective Axel Foley, and Brett Ratner is negotiating to direct.

Studio is aiming for a 2009 production start and a summer 2010 release.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura will produce. Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the original "Beverly Hills Cop" trilogy with late partner Don Simpson, won't be actively involved in the new film.

Murphy approached the studio about reviving the franchise that cemented his status as a B.O. mega-star. Par brass were eager to land another picture with Murphy after he finished the Karey Kirkpatrick-directed "NowhereLand," which Paramount releases in June 2009.

That film was also produced by Di Bonaventura, who is working on the summer 2009 releases "G.I. Joe" and "Transformers 2."

The studio canvassed a number of directors before choosing Ratner. A writer will be hired shortly.

Released in 1984, the original "Beverly Hills Cop" grossed $316 million worldwide and spawned two sequels. All told, the three pics grossed $712.9 million worldwide. The last was released in 1994.

Murphy is currently toplining the Brian Robbins-directed "A Thousand Words" for DreamWorks.

Ratner has been developing the Hugh Hefner biopic "Playboy" for Universal and Imagine.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner: Miley's Madonna Vibe Was "Just Unbelievable"

Working with Miley Cyrus reminded Brett Ratner of a "Beautiful Stranger" he once knew.

"She turns it on," the filmmaker, who last month directed the video for Cyrus' new single "7 Things," exclusively tells E! News. "A lot like Madonna."

Ratner, who also helmed the pop icon's "Beautiful Stranger" video for Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, says he sees many similarities between Miley and Madonna, besides the whole first-initial thing.

"Where a lot of other artists are nervous or they're primping, you know, Madonna walks on and is casual; cameras are on her and then all of the sudden, wow!" Ratner says.

"Same thing with Miley. She's hanging out, she's telling the jokes, she's laughing, she's signing an autograph.

"Camera goes on her and she was just unbelievable."

And it takes a lot to impress the X-Men: The Last Stand director, who in addition to ordering around Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry has collaborated multiple times with seasoned divas such as Mariah Carey and Jessica Simpson.

"She's just a hard worker," Ratner says of Cyrus. "She knows what her job is; she came and gave me 200 percent."

Ratner also says that he was shocked that, of all the stars he has worked with in the past, he got the most personal requests from friends and friends-of-friends to scope out the "7 Things" shoot.

"Like I said, I've shot for Madonna, Mariah Carey—some of the biggest artist in the world—and I've never had more calls," Ratner says.

"I had at least a thousand calls. 'Can I just come by the set and watch Miley?' and I'm like, 'But you're 40 years old!' "

"7 Things" was the first single off of Cyrus' upcoming album Breakout, the 15-year-old's first effort not involving her Disney Channel alter ego, Hannah Montana (who will surely be there in spirit).

The album is out July 22.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ratner Pitching Guitar Hero Film
"I would love to do a Guitar Hero Movie."
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

Fanboy favourite Brett Ratner recently told MTV News he would be up for directing a Guitar Hero movie.

He explained: "I love Guitar Hero and I think it's a part of pop culture. I would love to do a Guitar Hero movie, if Activision would ever let me. I'm trying to convince them, but why would you have a movie screw up such a huge franchise? Not that I would make a bad movie. So that would be cool, to do a Guitar Hero movie."

Ratner even had an idea for a story: "It could be about a kid from a small town who dreams of being a rock star and he wins the Guitar Hero competition. One of these dreams-[come-true] kind of concepts."

Ratner has been heavily involved in the Guitar Hero franchise, with his 'Brett Ratner Brands' consultancy having worked with Activision on the videogame series.

Ratner is already involved in one videogame adaptation, with the helmer currently signed up to direct God of War.

Skeleton FilmWorks

hedwig

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 02, 2008, 12:44:02 AM
"I love Guitar Hero and I think it's a part of pop culture. I would love to do a Guitar Hero movie, if Activision would ever let me. I'm trying to convince them, but why would you have a movie screw up such a huge franchise? Not that I would make a bad movie. So that would be cool, to do a Guitar Hero movie."
:shock: :shock: :shock:

this is the fucking quote of the century. it encapsulates so much about the essence of ratner. amazing..

MacGuffin

The Gospel of Brett Ratner
Director on Beverly Hills Cop 4, Guitar Hero movie.

Director Brett Ratner has gone on the record about two projects that he's been associated with, Beverly Hills Cop IV and the game-to-film Guitar Hero.

Ratner told E! Online that Beverly Hills Cop IV will offer "a whole new interpretation" of the classic theme song, adding, "Why change that song?" Wisecracking cop Axel Foley will once again be played by Eddie Murphy.

Beverly Hills Cop IV will go before cameras next year for a 2010 release.

Meanwhile, Ratner informed Entertainment Weekly's Hollywood Insider Blog that the recent chatter that he might direct the big screen version of the videogame sensation Guitar Hero is just that -- talk.

"I'd really like to do it, but they're not letting me," Ratner said. "I expressed my interest, but because it's such a success, it's like now there's no reason to make a movie about it."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

If it wasn't a success it would make them more money then?

Or now it IS a success wouldn't it make MORE money now?

Or, thanks Brett, but we're not sure you're really what we're looking for...
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner On The J.J. Abrams' Superman That Might Have Been

Once upon a time, Bryan Singer and Brett Ratner swapped movies – Brett got the third "X-Men" and Bryan got "Superman," which in his hands was "Superman Returns" starring Brandon Routh. We all know how that turned out.

But what would have happened if Ratner had continued along his merry way and done the "Superman" he wanted? What would it have been about? Brendan Fraser, who saw the script written by J.J. Abrams, was impressed. So was Ratner, who filled us in on the storyline and casting plans.

"The original movie I was going to be a part of," Ratner said, "took place on Krypton for about half of the movie. So it was much more otherworldly, and much darker, because there was a civil war on Krypton. You'd get more of the history."

"The Death of Superman" and the art of Alex Ross.

"That wasn't just darker, but cooler, in my mind," Ratner said. "That was what we were going to model the visuals after. When you have to translate it to a cinematic world, it's a whole different animal, and he's one of the best Superman artists I've ever seen."

If it's as dark as Warner Bros. wants for their reboot of Superman , Ratner still has a shot at making it: "Maybe we can go back to it one day," he said.

But sorry, Brendan Fraser, that's not a shot for you, too. "I definitely agreed with Bryan Singer that you need an unknown actor," Ratner said. "I was going to surround Superman with known actors, but it's important to get an unknown. I love Tom Cruise, but to have someone like him who you see as Tom Cruise would be a mistake."

Skeleton FilmWorks