The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

Brando

If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Brando

Spoilers

Enjoyed the season finale. Although I still completely hate Lori. Lori who knew she was pregnant but crashed a car going after Rick which I still don't understand why she did that.  Lori who has no idea where her son is have the time.  Lori who is pregnant but still threatens to jump out of a moving truck to go back to a overrun farm.  Lori who once hears how Shane tries to kill Rick turns on Rick when only a few episodes ago she was the one warning Rick how Shane had lost it. Forgetting Lori. I had always thought that Rick and Shane were two extremes.  The best leader for the group was the leader being somewhere in the middle. It seems that Rick killing Shane has gotten him closer to the leader he needs to be or the group needs although right now he seems uncomfortable in the situation. I liked what they set up for the next season meaning both the base or what ever the last shot was and the hooded figure that saved Andrea.  The hooded figure seemed well adapted to the situation.
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

polkablues

Based on how everything is shaping up for next season, if you want to avoid spoilers for the TV show and you haven't read the comics yet, now would not be the time to start.  Season 2 veered pretty far from the version of the story in the books, but the end of this season makes it look like they're veering right back toward it.  I have to say, though, if they're going to be stuck in one location all season again, the prison should be a little more dynamic than Herschel's farm was.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: polkablues on March 19, 2012, 06:51:33 PMBased on how everything is shaping up for next season, if you want to avoid spoilers for the TV show and you haven't read the comics yet, now would not be the time to start.  Season 2 veered pretty far from the version of the story in the books, but the end of this season makes it look like they're veering right back toward it.  I have to say, though, if they're going to be stuck in one location all season again, the prison should be a little more dynamic than Herschel's farm was.

Thanks for the warning. I will stay away for now.

Don't answer this, because I'm sure it's dealt with in the comics, but... How would they expect to get into the prison? Wouldn't it be crawling with walkers? Or is this a disused prison? And isn't it unlikely that the prison is unclaimed by any of the various roaming bands of Others, especially given the ridiculous amount of time they spent on the farm?

Quote from: Brando on March 19, 2012, 02:36:03 AM
Spoilers

Enjoyed the season finale. Although I still completely hate Lori. Lori who knew she was pregnant but crashed a car going after Rick which I still don't understand why she did that.  Lori who has no idea where her son is have the time.  Lori who is pregnant but still threatens to jump out of a moving truck to go back to a overrun farm.  Lori who once hears how Shane tries to kill Rick turns on Rick when only a few episodes ago she was the one warning Rick how Shane had lost it. Forgetting Lori. I had always thought that Rick and Shane were two extremes.  The best leader for the group was the leader being somewhere in the middle. It seems that Rick killing Shane has gotten him closer to the leader he needs to be or the group needs although right now he seems uncomfortable in the situation. I liked what they set up for the next season meaning both the base or what ever the last shot was and the hooded figure that saved Andrea.  The hooded figure seemed well adapted to the situation.

Even though it was kind of a weirdly structured transition episode, I also enjoyed it.

I'm really annoyed by Lori's completely unreasonable response to Rick's revelation. Even (or especially?) after his explanation, she's somehow horrified by him? I seriously expected her to give him a hug or something, for what he just went through, having to kill his best friend, but no. I'm sorry... Rick acted mostly in self defense against a psychopath (with rapey tendencies, Lori should be reminded) who wanted to murder him. Did he not shed a sufficient volume of tears atop Shane's corpse?

Other thoughts...

Even when I agree with Carl, he's still a little twerp that needs to keep his mouth shut and not do anything. They could keep him in the trunk.

One of Hershel's ambiguous blonde daughters was eliminated, so that's helpful. (The walkers got the non-suicidal one.)

I almost booed when Carol was saved. I hate myself.

I see the "bicker over anything and everything" directive is still in effect. It's as if the writers don't believe a scene is complete until there's a disagreement between two or more characters.

Oh and I have some nitpicking to do. At the end of the previous episode, there were two gunshots. The first was Shane's, as Rick knifed him. And yet the zombie POV opener showed only one gunshot, which was supposedly Carl's. Shouldn't we blame Shane for that first gunshot?

Brando

Jeremy Blackman

Some of those are really funny. Is that last one actually from the comic?

Brando

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on March 20, 2012, 05:01:49 PM
Some of those are really funny. Is that last one actually from the comic?

These kinds of meme things are popular now and usually dumb but saw those and actually made me laugh.  The one with Rick and Glenn talking about how you have to be a moron to crash a car in the apocalypse then a pick of Lori right before she crashed is my favorite.

polkablues

Brando

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-robert-kirkman-thief-of-thieves-amc-development-310260

AMC is developing a television series out of The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman's other comic book theif of thieves.  I don't know anything about the comic book except it's pretty new.

Brando

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

The Walking Dead can't ever fix all its problems, otherwise what would the internet have to bitch about?

The biggest issue with the Darabont era was that the stakes never felt as high as they should.  4 out every 5 episodes felt too safe, and on those few episodes where they fucked with that, the show just clicks.  I have every reason to believe this season won't have that problem.

polkablues

The new season is so good, you guys.

diggler

That felt like a season finale to me. Both this show and Dexter are in my "once promising shows bounce back" category this season.

It was nice that they replaced their token black guy so quickly.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

Neil

The only thing this show needed to do right was further itself from the garbage pile that Frank Darabont built.  They did that.

This shit is working if you ask me.  There's plenty of problems in there that are still being worked out, but boy o' boy do they have to take a back seat to a physical apocalypse. Maybe this actually means some things will never be worked out, but I'm very interested to see what it is they do.

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.