Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

Pubrick

i don't know why the smith casting is suprising to anyone, especially to fans of his films, this is the same thing he's done throughout his career only slightly different.

all of his films have been concerned with "rescuing" or "liberating" actors who were otherwise lost in oblivion: Tierney, Travolta, Foster/Grier, Carradine and then Waltz (the less said about death proof the better). with waltz i think he tried something different, the oblivion was not lack of success or being a stalwart of a bygone era, he was lost in the oblivion of foreign markets.. he needed to be liberated from obscure foreign films that no american would ever see and be reintroduced to the loving arms of the hollywood elite where he would go on to receive critical acclaim and mass audience acceptance.

QT was obviously vindicated, having achieved a new kind of mass manipulation of audience perceptions. i don't even like his films anymore and i can see that these things are his primary concerns. he calls himself a lover of cinema and for better or worse that is truly all he cares about.. and feet. the subtext of his last few films which have only been marginally mentioned in these parts, that they are about television versus cinema, and this genre versus that genre, are all quite accurate and key to understanding his motivation. i don't care enough about his movies to go any further, but whatever his next movie is really about will reveal what kind of liberation he is attempting with Will Smith.

i mean the parallels are written right there in the title. let him do whatever film he wants.. he's FREE isn't he? slavery as a metaphor for something.. something. is he going to achieve it? probably not as well as he thinks, cos his movies are crap now. but that's what he's trying.
under the paving stones.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

It's like if my grandma (rip) threw me a surprise party, and my feelings were that it was sweet of her, I know all about her surprise parties and how they come when you turn 13, 16, and 18, and grandma can't keep a secret anyway so I've known about this for weeks, and I'll appreciate it because she's expressing her type of love, but what's strange is that she decorated the party in a crocodile theme, and crocodiles are nowhere near my favorite animal nor are they animals cherished by anyone at the party in particular, so everyone's asking me "what's the deal with the crocodiles?" and I'm like "dunno" and they ask her but she's drunk on vodka punch and only wants to dance.  Most people just think "oh, grandma!" and that's the best answer, it's like the time she gave everyone life-size wooden man-with-cigar silhouettes and no one knew what the fuck to do with them.

Because you know there's going to be a surprise doesn't mean you can't be curious about the particular form the surprise takes, some of its idiosyncratic flavor and unexpectedness.  It's painfully clear to me that only a few of us are reading this thread anyway (who wants to read multiple pages of past posts?  it's not that I don't understand), and certain opinions are becoming repetitive (I too had a very repetitive instance only a page or so ago).  Although I've learned the attenuating phrase for this is approximately, "Not that I even care about this movie anyway..."  Which is like showing up at my grandma's party without caring whose birthday it is.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," BolaƱo says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pas

sundown, you are becoming a top tier poster here. Where the fuck where you the last 6 years you've been registered?! Excellent post.

Reel

i hope this news about Will Smith's ginormous trailer in SoHo just goes to show he's a prima donna who will NEVER be satisfied enough with what a QT movie could pay him and the role will go to a better suited, much blacker actor.

Will Smith's movie trailer is bigger than your apartment

The city of New York typically has a pretty high threshold for the inconveniences that come with movies that are filmed here, but Will Smith has discovered the breaking point.
In NYC to film "Men in Black III," Smith had parked a massive, double-decker, 1,150-square foot trailer smack in the middle of the Soho neighborhood. Adding insult to injury for the people inconvenienced by the behemoth, Smith is renting an apartment less than a mile away.
The trailer, nicknamed "The Heat," as the New York Post reports, "includes a lounge, a movie room with a 100-inch screen, marble floors throughout, offices for his assistants and writing staff, a large bedroom and all-granite bathroom. It measures about 53 feet long, has 22 wheels and weighs in at around 30 tons."
"It looks bigger than my apartment!" Brigette Moreno, who lives in the building next to where the trailer was docked Tuesday, told the Post.
"The smell that comes along with it is disgusting. It's like living in a gas station. I really like Will Smith, but I would be embarrassed if that was my trailer. A little modesty goes a long way."

Source: The Scoop

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Reel

by black, I simply mean skin tone.

Fernando

haha

Will Smith's trailer booted from NYC

(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - There'll be no on-street parking in New York for actor Will Smith, the mayor's office has decided.

Smith's tricked-out trailer was sent packing Wednesday after complaints from residents in the SoHo neighborhood, where his new film is being shot.

Bigger than most city apartments, the 1,100-square-foot double decker boasts a lounge, a movie room with a 100-inch screen, staff offices and large bedroom and bathroom.

It has been among the two dozen "Men in Black III" trucks and trailers that have taken over SoHo for several days. But its size has locals up in arms about parking, noise and fumes.

"I love Will Smith, but this is about survival,'' said Anessa Rahman, co-owner of an antiques store a few steps from the curbside spot where the actor's trailer had been parked.

The trailer, along with the rest of the crowded Hollywood convoy, was putting a dent in her business, she said.

Wednesday afternoon, the megatrailer was removed by Columbia Pictures.

"This trailer has been used many times in this city by different studios on various movies over the years, and while its use has never been an issue before, we regret any inconvenience it may have caused,'' Columbia Pictures spokesman Steve Elzer said.

The film, the third installment in the sci-fi comedy series about agents who monitor alien activity, is scheduled to continue shooting in the area through Friday.

Directed by Barry Sonnenfeld, it also stars Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Emma Thompson, Nicole Scherzinger and Rip Torn. It is scheduled for release in May of 2012.

No word on where Smith will be cooling his heels now between scenes, though the New York Post reports that the actor also rents a $25,000-a-month apartment less than a mile away from the set.

Jeremy Blackman

So much for carefully managing his image.

socketlevel

he should have just paid the store owner 500 a day for any loss of business she'd endure.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Will Smith might be the whitest black dude ever.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Whatever happened to the Will Smith that would flip his prep school jacket inside out so that he could be all funky fresh? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO KEEPIN' IT REAL??

P Heat

that trailer is bigger than some homes here in Florida! lol

what a show off.

Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

pete

reading the script
it's Drivin Miss Daisy with guns and gore
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

In that case, never mind.  Will Smith will be perfect for it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

72teeth

seeing all those naughtseeies get torn to ribbons at the end of IG was one of the more overwhelming moment of my film watching career and now im 20 pages away from the ending of DU... should i stop?

pleases answer asap... as im drunk and bored

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza