Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

April 2013 TBD

Hal Hartley's Flirt (1995) from Olive Films

Hal Hartley's Meanwhile (2011) from Olive Films

William A. Wellman's Magic Town (1947) from Olive Films

Reed Rothchild

unfortunately i have lost another copy of hard eight. anyone know if it will be released again soon?
You know, people tell me I kind of look like Han Solo.

DVD Collection

wilder

April 2013 TBD

Cloak and Dagger (1946) from Olive Films

The Enforcer (1951) from Olive Flms

Hoodlum Empire (1952) from Olive Films

wilder

March 26, 2013

Robert Rossen's Lilith (1964) from Mill Creek

Lilith (1964) - Amazon

Noah Baumbach's The Squid and The Whale (2005) from Mill Creek

The Squid and the Whale (2005) - Amazon

wilder

April 2013 TBD

The Men (1950) from Olive Films

Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth (1989) from Olive Films

jenkins

made it a mission to write about kino's bird of paradise before watching the movie. for various reasons this piece is kind of bonkers and i have a strange attraction to it

wilder

May 21, 2013

Ultimate Gangsters Collection from Warner Bros. on blu-ray

-Little Caesar (1931)
-The Petrified Forest (1936)
-The Public Enemy (1931)
-White Heat (1949)

Ultimate Gangsters Collection - TCM Shop

wilder

May 7, 2013

Sidney Lumet's The Verdict (1982) on blu-ray from 20th Century Fox

The Verdict (1982) - Amazon

jenkins

wilderesque can you rank the jean rollin movies you've seen? plz

wilder

The Iron Rose is my favorite, I'm still working my way through the rest. I really like the opening of Requiem for a Vampire...  Jean Rollin is def an acquired taste, try to think of his stuff as "Antonioni Horror", they're all atmosphere...maybe look at some screencaps on blu-ray.com (note: those aren't all Rollin titles, but all of the Redemption releases) and if you like the visual style based on them you might like the movie...

Start with The Iron Rose if you haven't seen that yet.

I love that bit in the trailer after the 2:15 mark with her dancing.

Excerpts from an extended post Jeremy Richey made over at The Moon in the Gutter:

"Perhaps no other major production in Jean Rollin's career has divided fans more than 1973's La Rose de fer. The film, known alternately as The Iron Rose and as The Crystal Rose, is seen by some as one of Rollin's greatest achievements, a haunting poetic production that shows the director at his minimal best, while others, turned off by Rollin's abandoning of his usual Vampiric elements, find the film a failure, and at best a bore. Regardless of one's opinion of the work, two things are for certain, The Iron Rose is one of Jean Rollin's most personal projects, and its failure in 1973 changed the direction of his career drastically.

[...]

The Iron Rose is among the most minimal modern films one could possibly imagine. Outside of an opening party sequence and a few scattered one scene appearances throughout the work, the film only features two characters. The storyline, centering on two young lovers finding themselves lost in a huge expansive old cemetery, is so spare that it is nearly non-existent. In his introduction to the film in Virgins and Vampires Rollin admitted that what interested him about the film was the notion of, "a woman's dramatic self-destruction", and that ultimately it was, "a dark and desperate film." Less a successful modern narrative film and more of a poignant tragic poetic work more akin to silent cinema, The Iron Rose is a remarkable work that grows more and more resonate with each passing year. Like Lou Reed's Berlin, that also came out in 1973, The Iron Rose is a work made by an artist not looking to satisfy the time it is in, but is instead looking to transcend it."

Images from The Iron Rose:

jenkins

wilder

Demoniacs

Fascination

Requiem for a Vampire

jenkins

Quote from: wilderesque on January 25, 2013, 10:44:41 PM
She's So Lovely (1997) on blu-ray from Miramax/Echo Bridge. Directed by Nick Cassavetes. Made from an original script by John Cassavetes.

available now and for $5 at best buy

also:
Hoax
Bounty Hunters 2: Hardball
Full Frontal
Fresh
Committed
Nameless
Hellraiser VII: Deader
The Grifters
Heaven
Dragon Lord