Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

jenkins

partially i was like "why ARE you just hearing of this" cause qt even named his boutique label after the movie, plus bonnie prince "blood embrace" of course, but fact is it's been a hard movie to see. this release is good news. glad i didn't buy the burn on demand version.

wilder

March 2013 TBD

Hell's Half Acre (1954) from Olive Films

A woman who believes her missing husband is in prison in Hawaii on a murder charge travels there to see if it actually is him. However, he escapes before she sees him, when he hears that his current girlfriend has been murdered. The wife searches the slum area of Honolulu known as Hell's Half Acre for him, he searches for his girlfriend's killer, and his gangland associates are looking for the two of them.

Edward G. Ulmer's Ruthless (1948) from Olive Films

Director Edward G. Ulmer's complex psycho-melodrama Ruthless (1948) is undoubtedly worthy of rediscovery. A flashback-structured tale of a sociopath's remorseless drive for station and wealth, Ruthless (often referred to as Ulmer's Citizen Kane) employs a relentless undercurrent of emotional violence. As relayed in an interview with Peter Bogdanovich, Ulmer envisioned his feature as "a Jesuitic morality play... a very bad indictment against 100 percent Americanism—as Upton Sinclair saw it." The film's chilling, malevolent tone is personified in a starkly muted performance by lead—and frequent screen cad—Zachary Scott.

jenkins

ruthless has been streaming on netflix for like a while. keep thinking about watching it. seems like quite a few olive releases stream. thinking about space children, run for cover. that might be it actually. not really a lot, i exaggerated. wilderesque you wanna watch ruthless

wilder

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on January 16, 2013, 06:33:22 PM
wilderesque you wanna watch ruthless

I canceled Netflix a while ago -- gonna wait for the blu. There's also a if anyone wants to preview it.

February 20, 2013

The next wave of Maurice Pialat releases from Gaumont are available for pre-order.

Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble (1972)

Nous ne vieillirons pas ensemble (1972) - Amazon France

Police (1985)

Police (1985) - Amazon France

Under the Sun of Satan (1987)

Under the Sun of Satan (1987) - Amazon France

Reel

wilder

April 23, 2013

Jean Rolin's Grapes of Death (1978) and Night of the Hunted  (1980) on blu-ray from Kino/Redemption

Grapes of Death (1978) - Amazon

Night of the Hunted (1980) - Amazon

wilder

May 7, 2013

Heaven (2002) on blu-ray from Miramax/Echo Bridge. Directed by Tom Tykwer. Made from an original script by Krzysztof Kieslowski and Krzysztof Piesiewiczi.

Heaven (2002) - Amazon

She's So Lovely (1997) on blu-ray from Miramax/Echo Bridge. Directed by Nick Cassavetes. Made from an original script by John Cassavetes.

She's So Lovely (1997) - Amazon

jenkins

didn't realize she's so lovely was from one of dad's scripts. then like i remember how much further dad took scripts, how much life he found in them and the work he did with actors, etc.

but i wanna see it!

wilder

They're both uneven movies, but it's interesting to see what they do with another director's material. There's a book called After Kieslowski: The Legacy of Krzysztof Kieślowski, which is a regular book but available as a free PDF download at that link that discusses Kieslowski's projects taken on by other directors after his death (Hell (2005) and Purgatory (2007) being another two) and his influence in general.

Pubrick

Quote from: wilderesque on January 26, 2013, 02:38:45 PM
available as a free PDF download at that link

how do i access the PDF? when i click it asks for login details.
under the paving stones.

wilder

May 13, 2013

Hal Hartley's Amateur (1994) on blu-ray from Artificial Eye

Amateur (1994) - Amazon UK

May 27, 2013

Hal Hartley's The Unbelievable Truth (1989) on blu-ray from Artificial Eye

The Unbelievable Truth (1989) - Amazon UK

June 10, 2013

Hal Hartley's Simple Men (1992) on blu-ray from Artificial Eye

wilder

May 21, 2013