Top Living American Filmmakers

Started by New Feeling, August 03, 2008, 02:32:28 AM

El Duderino

McG
Brett Ratner
F. Gary Gray

End of discussion.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

jtm

did you just decide to see if you could list every director you could think of? cuz that's what i think from reading this.

i wipe my ass with this list.

and you owe me money.

my laptop is now covered with shit because of you, new feeing.

El Duderino

New Feeling

yeah that's almost exactly what I did, except I excluded everyone who I thought hadn't ever made a particularly good movie and hadn't distinguished themselves in any real way, but anyone who had went on the list.  I like all those guys for at last one reason.  I posted it here hoping I might be reminded of or turned on to a few other interesting filmmakers, and that maybe it would introduce a few to some fellow xixaxers, or just get people thinking.  Sorry simple things bother you so much.  Must be a bitch.     

Quote from: jtm on August 14, 2008, 07:17:33 AM
did you just decide to see if you could list every director you could think of? cuz that's what i think from reading this.

i wipe my ass with this list.

and you owe me money.

my laptop is now covered with shit because of you, new feeing.

Alexandro

Yeah, that JTM comment has been buggin me for a while now. It's not even that funny.

I'm sorry but really, what a huge waste of time is to read through a thread about american directors. What a pain in the ass. Since we are all here patiently and seriously discussing in such sophisticated ways the work of filmmakers all over the world. How dare someone bring around here, to this sacred cinematic corner of our lives, something as trivial as a list? Ugh... that's for the kids, right? We don't do that shit. We don't have xixax awards and dekantpicon or whatever. We're so above that crap. We're so hip and smart.

jtm

yeah, like i'm the first person to bitch about quality control. hell, i'm not even the first one in this thread!

Alexandro

what about saying something remotely interesting for quality control?

El Duderino

I only have 9 fingers. My right middle finger and the finger thats not my middle one are still conjoined.

I think that's pretty interesting.

jtm

Quote from: Alexandro on August 18, 2008, 11:30:57 PM
what about saying something remotely interesting for quality control?

exactly! what about it?

Alexandro

i meant instead of acting like an asshole towards some new guy from the safety of our homes and computers. the guy starts a thread with some potential to be at least entertaining and fun and some people act as if this is such a pain in the ass...

when i came to xixax a few years ago i was already 23 and a lot of the opinions i read here sounded like ones made by clueless teenagers just discovering shit. that doesn't mean i had to be an asshole and act all fucking indignated about it. this bully hipster attitude is the one and only thing i truly dislike about this place.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Alexandro on August 19, 2008, 12:27:08 PM
when i came to xixax a few years ago i was already 23 and a lot of the opinions i read here sounded like ones made by clueless teenagers just discovering shit. that doesn't mean i had to be an asshole and act all fucking indignated about it. this bully hipster attitude is the one and only thing i truly dislike about this place.

Thank God someone said it.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

jtm

i meant instead of acting like an asshole towards some new guy from the safety of our homes and computers. the guy starts a thread with some potential to be at least entertaining and fun and some people act as if this is such a pain in the ass...

don't give me this "hipster attitude" shit... about 20% of my posts were greeted with the same stuff you speak of, so save it...  i like this place for the same reason you do. it's fun to come here and talk about things "most" of our friends don't give a damn about. that's why i come here.

yeah, sure, sometimes i lash out at people for certain reasons. but considering this place's past towards treating members, is that anything unexpected? i've even made posts here in the (recent) past that people here treat other people like shit. was it noticed? no. but what i did get was "what's this fags problem?" or "this fags just got sand in his vagina" or "this fags a fag!" you get the point... has anything changed? no. of course not. and i don't expect it to anymore..... all that's just pushed me further to not give a shit.

New Feeling

so...Having watched Vicky Christina Barcelona and Cassandra's Dream and thinking about Woody a lot in the past couple weeks, I decided to put him in my #1 spot.  I can honestly say that I'm as excited about his next one as any of these guys (especially with the LD factor).  And he might put out more movies in the rest of his life than PTA and QT combined at this rate.  He's got as strong a voice as Lynch and an even more varied body of work than Scorsese or PTA.  So I guess it's Woody all the way>

I would still appreciate it if anyone added someone actually good to the list..I'm sure I must've missed a couple of notables..

okay I'm actually way more excited about Inglorious Bastards than anything, I can't lie. 

Alexandro

Quote from: jtm on August 21, 2008, 03:21:13 AM

don't give me this "hipster attitude" shit... about 20% of my posts were greeted with the same stuff you speak of, so save it...  i like this place for the same reason you do. it's fun to come here and talk about things "most" of our friends don't give a damn about. that's why i come here.

yeah, sure, sometimes i lash out at people for certain reasons. but considering this place's past towards treating members, is that anything unexpected? i've even made posts here in the (recent) past that people here treat other people like shit. was it noticed? no. but what i did get was "what's this fags problem?" or "this fags just got sand in his vagina" or "this fags a fag!" you get the point... has anything changed? no. of course not. and i don't expect it to anymore..... all that's just pushed me further to not give a shit.

nothing personal against you. im sorry if it sounds as if i'm going after you alone or something. i know a lot of people around here do exactly that and it always bothers me. i don't see the point of being an asshole to strangers who do me no harm. by your logic, since everyone else does it, why should you not? are we in fucking kindergarden or something? and is not like new feeling or whatever his name is called you a fag or an idiot or told you that he wipes his ass with your last post...anyway if that's the way it's gonna be, we'll just let it be...

New Feeling

someone mentioned HAL HARTLEY to me yesterday and he seemed like a good candidate for this list.  I've only seen one of his films and barely remember it.  Anyone have anything to say about this guy, or care to rank him between two other filmmakers?  Where is the best place to start?  I heard his first two were the best.