Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!

Started by matt35mm, November 24, 2017, 07:59:23 PM

csage97

Quote from: Tictacbk on December 14, 2017, 03:55:54 AM
We were very specifically asked not to reveal anything about crossfades at our screening. Sorry, you'll just have to wait and see.

By whom? The staff? PTA? You don't have to answer. I don't know if you're wholly serious, but I'll buy it. That's interesting that they were specific about it. Your response kind of confirms it, anyway .... :P

modage

He's totally kidding. And I can't remember anything specifically about cross fades except maybe in a couple instances.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

csage97

Quote from: modage on December 14, 2017, 11:04:00 AM
He's totally kidding. And I can't remember anything specifically about cross fades except maybe in a couple instances.

I've been had. I pictured PTA standing up there, saying, "and don't mention anything about all those cross fades throughout the film."  :yabbse-grin:

wilberfan

Tictacbk

csage97

Quote from: Tictacbk on December 14, 2017, 02:09:17 PM
Haha sorry, dumb joke.

Heh, no problem at all. I am a just a gullible goose!  :yabbse-grin:

jenkins

Molly Haskell's Film Comment quote from the Best Films list. is this comment a spoiler? i'd actually place it in the non-spoiler thread after the current post, but the guy is sending messages about preserving his virginity as well so it's like, do i touch him or not

there couldn't be a movie that made anything near lick a sense if not for Vicky Krieps, i think, i agree with Molly Haskell

QuoteOpposite Daniel Day-Lewis as Reynolds Woodcock, Vicky Krieps's Alma emerges as the perfect figure for Woodcock's purposes (and designs)—embodying the freshness of youth, while stolid enough to withstand his frenzies. Intriguingly, and for the first time in Anderson's career, the woman becomes the real protagonist.

maybe everyone said that, i don't actually read the critics. i looked at year-end lists this year, as sort of like a summary about how the critics felt this year.

wilberfan

Quote from: jenkins on December 16, 2017, 10:39:35 PM
Molly Haskell's Film Comment quote from the Best Films list.

Today I learned Molly Haskell is still alive and still reviewing films.

wilberfan

[Rolling my eyes]

P.T. Anderson's Phantom Thread Couldn't Come At A Worse Time

QuotePhantom Thread, which pushes the narrative that geniuses are on some level allowed to be abusive. If your work is beautiful enough, your soul can be made of scabs and darkness. The world excuses so much if you're talented and male.

wilder

Quote from: modage on October 23, 2017, 10:11:46 AM
don't be surprised when PTA gets run through the 2017 Woke Filter.

Punch Drunk Hate

Many skeptics I know of is due to the film relationship between the dominant older male-younger female relationship. As screwed up as Hollywood films are on these ridiculous pairings, there's something more deeper beneath the surface that isn't all glamour and romantic, with PTA at the helm. I won't discussed further until I see the film for myself, so make of that what you will.

wilder

Quote from: eward on December 18, 2017, 09:30:25 AM
Glenn Kenny at rogerebert.com with a 4-star review:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/phantom-thread-2017

Quote from: Glenn KennyBut this is not a film that has a conventional climax; the war of wills between the two characters does not have a tidy resolution. We don't even know just what it is that Alma wants, let alone what she gets. Her background is shrouded. Beautifully portrayed by Vicky Krieps, she speaks with a slight German accent. There's a scene set at a press conference, where a vulgar dowager for whom Woodcock has made a wedding dress is discussing her impending wedding to a Dominican politician. A journalist asks the man about whether he "sold visas to Jews during the war" and Anderson cuts to a close-up of Alma, her face neutral. This is a movie of confrontations, of dreamlike moments dissolving into micro nightmares, but it is hardly a conventional "battle of the sexes" story.

Edit - From this interview with Krieps:

QuoteHer focus always returns to the work and its effect on her — even if some of it was left on the cutting-room floor. "It's not in the movie anymore, but there's a scene that was very strong where Alma goes and wanders off on her own in the country house and finds the wedding dress of their mother," she said. "She takes it out and actually tries it on; she's discovered by Cyril [Manville]. And that was a scene that was just unlike anything I've ever done — it was like there was a ghost in the room the whole time. It really was."

Tictacbk

I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing. It's just so great. I'm immediately welcomed back into this world that I never even knew existed, but I love it. The score, the richness of the images, everything just draws you right in. I'm weirdly reminded of PDL in how quickly it works. It feels like between PDL and this, I grew up with PTA.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations of classic films to pair with this? I'm not so familiar with gothic romance stories. I'd love to dive in.

wilberfan

Quote from: Tictacbk on December 20, 2017, 01:41:05 AM
I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing.

Today I learned they're actually sending out screeners of this gem.  Wonder if we'll get one...?

Robyn

Quote from: wilberfan on December 20, 2017, 04:00:50 PM
Quote from: Tictacbk on December 20, 2017, 01:41:05 AM
I just came home to my screener of this (finally) and immediately had to put it on for a second viewing.

Today I learned they're actually sending out screeners of this gem.  Wonder if we'll get one...?

Well, I met Paul at a grocery store and...eh, nevermind, I'm just gonna leave this thread for now because I haven't seen it yet. Bye bye, spoilers.