Phantom Thread - SPOILERS!

Started by matt35mm, November 24, 2017, 07:59:23 PM

matt35mm

It's a very lovely and weird film, just as we've come to expect. Gorgeous. Full on indulgence in film looking like film, the opposite of digital. A bit of a sister film to THE MASTER, I feel, without being quite as intense. But there are many parallels. The score is indeed very good and front and center. Don't want to say too much more at the moment, and am still processing, but I am pleased and feeling that cinema high. PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Lesley Manville were there for a Q&A, which was wonderful, although most of it covered info that we all already know.

Vicko99

Quote from: matt35mm on November 24, 2017, 07:59:23 PM
It's a very lovely and weird film, just as we've come to expect. Gorgeous. Full on indulgence in film looking like film, the opposite of digital. A bit of a sister film to THE MASTER, I feel, without being quite as intense. But there are many parallels. The score is indeed very good and front and center. Don't want to say too much more at the moment, and am still processing, but I am pleased and feeling that cinema high. PTA, Vicky Krieps, and Lesley Manville were there for a Q&A, which was wonderful, although most of it covered info that we all already know.
Does it have any "outrageous" moment?

Robyn

i'm getting confused by the running time. the guy in the reddit thread says it's 2 and a hour, despite the previously report that it's very short.

wilberfan

I saw the film today, too, and just posted my fairly spoiler-free thoughts here.  I'm willing to answer any questions, as well, I guess.  Like Matt35mm, I'm still kind of vibrating (only got home about 30 minutes ago) from the experience.  As with most PTA films, a second viewing would make a tremendous difference in helping to process our thoughts and feelings about it.   

[edit] fixed bad link.  Sorry 'bout that.

wilberfan

Quote from: KJ on November 24, 2017, 08:51:39 PM
i'm getting confused by the running time. the guy in the reddit thread says it's 2 and a hour, despite the previously report that it's very short.

I informally clocked the version we saw today at 125 minutes, with another 5 minutes of credits.

Yes

Quote from: wilberfan on November 24, 2017, 08:51:50 PM
I saw the film today, too, and just posted my fairly spoiler-free thoughts here.  I'm willing to answer any questions, as well, I guess.  Like Matt35mm, I'm still kind of vibrating (only got home about 30 minutes ago) from the experience.  As with most PTA films, a second viewing would make a tremendous difference in helping to process our thoughts and feelings about it.

Link doesnt work

And there are massive spoilers out there, so beware

wilberfan

Quote from: BigSock on November 24, 2017, 09:07:17 PM

Link doesn't work

Fixed it.  Should work now. And I tried to be as spoiler-free as possible at that link.

FilmCell

Post the audio you recorded from the discussion.

wilberfan

Quote from: FilmCell on November 24, 2017, 10:00:12 PM
Post the audio you recorded from the discussion.

I'll take a listen in the next couple of days, see if I can boost some levels, etc.  In the meantime, here's a good recounting of some of it:  https://theplaylist.net/paul-thomas-anderson-says-phantom-thread-script-real-collaboration-daniel-day-lewis-20171124

FilmCell

Wait, so you "HATED" inherent Vice?

WorldForgot

Quote from: FilmCell on November 25, 2017, 02:08:59 AM
Quote from: wilburfan on redditwill probably never be able to get thru Inherent Vice a second time.

wilberfan

Quote from: FilmCell on November 25, 2017, 02:08:59 AM

Sadly, yes.  I was as surprised as you are.  (Or Doc, in the previous post.)  How could it have not worked for me on almost every level?  (Performances were excellent, I'll concede.)  I'm the only one in most PTA-flavored environments.  [shrug]  It's my burden, I guess. 

Tdog

I really wish the orchestral music was mixed louder in IV. It might make things truck along a bit smoother.

Vicko99

Quote from: wilberfan on November 24, 2017, 08:52:53 PM
Quote from: KJ on November 24, 2017, 08:51:39 PM

I informally clocked the version we saw today at 125 minutes, with another 5 minutes of credits.
Does the flick qualify as "dark and twisted"?? (Details, pleaase)