Anyone bought BN script?

Started by Convael, May 27, 2009, 02:56:28 PM

Convael

I've been rekindling my love affair with Boogie Nights and decided to buy the script off Amazon since it was really cheap, but what I ended up getting was a tiny little book with tiny text and a couple photos from the movie.  The book looks official and everything and it's not like I got ripped off... but the reason why I wanted it in the first place was because I read this: http://www.cigarettesandredvines.com/articles/display.php?id=B03 where PT Anderson talks about the pink pages and the stuff that he had to change and says that this is the script they went to shoot with every day.  I'm wondering if anyone has that script?  Maybe from buying it years ago... The one I have is fine, it's just exactly what you'd find on imsdb.com except in some crappy small paperback.  I'm looking for the script, if it exists, which has that foreword and everything else that he talks about.  Thanks.

Pozer

i have the exact same little book w/little print you're talking about but w/that introduction. no pink pages. the script you got is the shooting one.

jigzaw

I have it too.  At least he made faber actually print a facsimile of the script (even if you need a magnifying glass to reads it) rather than their usual transcript-looking books.  I do wish the Boogie Nights script had been published by The Shooting Script which really does screenplays justice.

MacGuffin

Even if you buy the paper script at a store, it won't have all the color revised pages. It'll still be printed on white paper.

But, if you go through the book it still tells you where all the revisions are, as noted by asterisks on the right side of the page (*). They also tell you what day and color that particular revision was done. For example, the scene where Dirk and his mom fight in bedroom over his "stuff" (scene 28), it says at the top of the page "PINK PAGES REVISED 6/26/96".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Convael

Quote from: MacGuffin on May 28, 2009, 12:31:27 AM
Even if you buy the paper script at a store, it won't have all the color revised pages. It'll still be printed on white paper.

But, if you go through the book it still tells you where all the revisions are, as noted by asterisks on the right side of the page (*). They also tell you what day and color that particular revision was done. For example, the scene where Dirk and his mom fight in bedroom over his "stuff" (scene 28), it says at the top of the page "PINK PAGES REVISED 6/26/96".
Oh cool.  I just flipped through the book, went "this is bullshit" and tossed it to the side.  I'll pay more attention to it now...  I was hoping that there would be a script out there like the PDL one which shows different drafts and changes that were made to the script over time but I guess this is the best I can get.  I wonder if his 300 page version of the script is still out there.  Thanks everyone.

depooter

Quote from: Convael on May 28, 2009, 11:40:03 PM
Oh cool.  I just flipped through the book, went "this is bullshit" and tossed it to the side.  I'll pay more attention to it now...  I was hoping that there would be a script out there like the PDL one which shows different drafts and changes that were made to the script over time but I guess this is the best I can get.  I wonder if his 300 page version of the script is still out there.  Thanks everyone.

Yeah. i have a few different early versions of the script (along with Punch Drunk Knuckle Love)...I'm sure you still track these down...

thanks
Greg
www.pixartalk.com

theyarelegion

depooter

I have original hard copies of two early boogie nights scripts, hard eight and knuckle sandwich (not to be confused with Punch Drunk Love although pieces of dialogue have been taken from knuckle sandwich and used in PDL and Magnolia)....

Thanks
Greg
www.pixartalk.com

Convael

Would you be able to make copies of those and sell them?

Pozer

i've always wanted to read Knuckle Sandwich & Rule of the Bone.

depooter

oh yeah.. I have Rule of the Bone too :)

If you're interested, Hit me with a PM and we can discuss $$

Convael

Is Rule of the Bone the book that PTA was asked to write an adaptation of?  The screenplay of it actually exists?

Also could someone possibly clarify for me what the difference between PDL and Knuckle Sandwich is...

Stefen

I'd be curious to read both, too.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

depooter

Quote from: Convael on July 16, 2009, 10:29:42 PM
Is Rule of the Bone the book that PTA was asked to write an adaptation of?  The screenplay of it actually exists?

Also could someone possibly clarify for me what the difference between PDL and Knuckle Sandwich is...

Yes. Rule of the Bone is the adaption of the Russell Bank's book. Was supposed to be directed by Carl Franklin I believe..

Knuckle Sandwich is an early script by PTA...very Tarantino/True Romance ish....only a few lines of dialogue and character names were used in his other films (Magnolia and PDL)....otherwise it's a completely original story..

Greg
www.pixartalk.com

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.