Friday Night Lights

Started by RegularKarate, October 10, 2006, 07:57:24 PM

abuck1220

Quote from: RegularKarate on February 25, 2007, 12:35:11 AM
Complaining about the football scenes in Friday Night Lights kind of makes you sound like Nelson after seeing Naked Lunch.

actually, it's not like that at all.

Quote from: Pubrick on February 25, 2007, 12:18:52 AM

now we need a real drug dealer, or drug dealer fan, to discredit Weeds. and a real mad cunt to discredit The Wire.

or like that.

i'm not saying it destroys the show (the kid playing the tailback does his best to do that), but the football scenes can be embarrassingly bad. i'm not looking for spot on, perfect authenticity, but something resembling reality would at least not distract from the show. thankfully, the games aren't the focus of the show.

MacGuffin

NBC orders 6 more 'Lights' scripts
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NBC's "Friday Night Lights" are shining brighter.

A day before the freshman series' season finale, the network ordered six additional scripts of the critically praised but low rated series.

While this is short of the early second-season order NBC recently bestowed on another acclaimed but ratings-challenged freshman series, comedy "30 Rock," the additional script order strengthens "Friday'"s chances for a return next season.

"Friday" is the second NBC series on the bubble to receive a six-script order this week, following a similar pickup for veteran "Medium" Monday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

NBC renews 'Friday Night Lights'
Low-rated football drama gets 2nd season

"Friday Night Lights" has scored a second season from NBC.

Also Thursday, the Peacock firmed up its drama plans for next season, giving the go-ahead to four new hourlongs: "The Bionic Woman," "Chuck," Journeyman" and "Life."

The "Friday Night Lights" touchdown came in the fourth quarter with just seconds left on the clock. News ends weeks of speculation over whether the critically acclaimed but low-rated show would pull off a last-minute Hail Mary.

The stats weren't stellar for the primetime pigskin player after all. Season to date, "Friday Night Lights" has averaged only a 2.3 rating/6 share and 6.1 million viewers overall. With those low numbers, an order for "Friday Night Lights" wasn't guaranteed.

But NBC Entertainment prexy Kevin Reilly has championed the show as part of NBC's "first be best, then be first" mantra -- and the net already renewed another highly praised but low-rated skein, the Tina Fey laffer "30 Rock."

Net wasn't ready to officially confirm the order Thursday -- preferring to make the grand reveal during its New York upfront presentation Monday -- but is expected to order a full 22 episodes of the drama. Move is sure to spur a spate of high-fives among the nation's TV critics.

NBC Universal TV Studio and Imagine TV are behind "Friday Night Lights," which comes from exec producer Peter Berg (who wrote and directed the feature on which the show was based), as well as Jason Katims, Brian Grazer, David Nevins and Sarah Aubrey. Kyle Chandler stars as coach Eric Taylor in the show set in the world of small-town Texas high school football.

"We were confident but all experienced enough to know that anything can happen," Berg said of the show's prospects. "It was never a sure thing. All I can say is that Kevin Reilly and Jeff Zucker are men of their word."

Berg said he was told that "Lights" will most likely air later than its current 8 p.m. slot -- a move the producers have been advocating.

"Lights" already received a six script order last month, giving the show's writers an early jump.

NBC "hasn't asked for any changes," Berg said. "They've embraced the personality of the show. Hopefully, we can continue to grow."

"Friday Night Lights" also stars Connie Britton, Scott Porter, Gaius Charles, Taylor Kitsch, Zach Gifford, Minka Kelly, Aimee Teegarden, Adrianne Palicki and Jesse Plemons.

As for the new pickups, "The Bionic Woman," from exec producers David Eick, Glen Morgan, Jason Smilovic and Michael Dinner, stars Michelle Ryan as a woman remade into a techno wonder (on a show itself remade from a 1970s hit). NBC Universal TV Studio produces.

Josh Schwartz is behind "Chuck," a spy comedy/drama that stars Zachary Levi as a regular guy who accidentally learns government secrets. Warner Bros. TV produces; Schwartz and McG exec produce.

"Journeyman," from 20th Century Fox TV, centers on a man (Kevin McKidd) who travels through time to right wrongs. Kevin Falls and Alex Graves exec produce.

"Life" stars Damian Lewis as a wrongly imprisoned cop who decides to take his old job after he's released from prison. NBC Universal TV Studio is behind the show, exec produced by Rand Ravich and Far Shariat.

Comedy pilot producers were still waiting by the phone Thursday, but sure shots appeared to include "The I.T. Crowd." Other laffers said to still be in contention included "Lipshitz Saves the World."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Best news I'll hear all month.  To celebrate, here's one of the funniest parody shorts of all time: Friday Night Nights.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on May 11, 2007, 12:13:16 AM
one of the funniest parody shorts of all time: Friday Night Nights.

no kidding. i haven't even seen the show and that was pretty hilarious.

why is SNL still on the air again?
under the paving stones.

I Love a Magician

looks like david gordon green directed that

MacGuffin

'Friday Night Lights' gets a welcome reception
Source: Los Angeles Times

Been jonesing for some "Friday Night Lights"? Here's a little second-season scoop picked up this afternoon at the NBC panel for the low-rated critical darling:

We will encounter our favorite Dillon high schoolers eight months after we left them. Coach Taylor (Kyle Chandler) will be in Austin, Texas, coaching college football. His wife, Tami (Connie Britton), is about to give birth in Dillon. Their 16-year-old daughter, Julie (Aimee Teegarden), is raising some serious teenage hell. Jason Street (Scott Porter) has graduated but is coaching for the Dillon Panthers. Something will happen with Tyra (Adrianne Palicki) and Landry (Jesse Plemons) that will tie them more "intimately" together after the man who tried to rape her reappears. Everyone else is still in high school, playing football and hooking up.

Even though NBC has vowed not to promote the show as a "football drama" anymore — even NBC sports honcho Dick Ebersol complained at a session Monday that this is a disservice to the show — the writers will not keep football out of the fold, assured show-runner Jason Katims.

"The show itself as a show — the network has been so supportive of the show since the beginning ...we're not really trying to change the show," Katims said. "We're not saying it's not a show about football. We think it's a show for everybody. It's been a challenge for women to know that they would also like the show."

If you've never seen it, the DVD hits stores on Aug. 28. And a soundtrack is coming soon. The second season begins at 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 5.

Go Panthers!

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 18, 2007, 01:15:13 AM
"The show itself as a show — the network has been so supportive of the show since the beginning ...we're not really trying to change the show," Katims said. "We're not saying it's not a show about football. We think it's a show for everybody. It's been a challenge for women to know that they would also like the show."

this much is clear: it's definitely a show.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

haha.. reminds me of this:

Quote from: pozer on January 21, 2007, 02:44:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Sophistication on January 11, 2007, 01:55:58 AM
I feel that the confusion of who directed the film hurt Reed's career in the long run when most people think of The Third Man they think of Orsen Welles and it being more of a Welles film than anyone else's. But Reed was an amazing director and he proved that with Odd Man Out and The Fallen Idol. But with the fame of The Third Man mostly going to Welles it makes it harder for Reed to be recognized today as the genius that he was... For Reed, The Third Man was his Citizen Kane.

And I heard that Criterion is Reissuing The Third Man and I hope "Shadowing the Third Man" will be on the disc.
thank you, mr. s.  i completely forgot what thread i was in.

Kal

I just got this... 22 bucks in Circuit City for the First Season... it had so great reviews all year so I wanna watch.

I have to take a 12 hour flight this week so not bad!

tpfkabi

i enjoyed this show as well.

the females don't hurt it either:

you got blonde/busty and brunette/athletic and then some...
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

john

I'm looking forward to this show.

I purchased the DVD based on multiple sources of praise, but specifically Patton Oswalt's - for some reason.

I've watched one episode... it's a pleasurably sneaky little show. Everyone seemed a little too "television pretty" to be taken serious at first. The cinematography seemed good, but a little too aware of itself. Like it knew what "art" was supposed to look like and was attempting to recreate it.

Then the show actually progressed and people interacted. Sometimes even the best network shows seem to have moments of soap-opera cliche, but I think that's more due to the medium and network executives impatience. Plus, all those little moments were outweighed by other moments that were much, much more involving and interesting. Then, even the cinematograohy that I criticized too early displayed a wonderfully intuitive quality for a television show.

Plus, it kind of reminds me of The Last icture Show, which is never a bad thing.

This is only based on one episode, of course, but I do look forward to watching the rest.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Fernando

Quote from: pozer on July 18, 2007, 12:25:44 PM
haha.. reminds me of this:

Quote from: pozer on January 21, 2007, 02:44:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Sophistication on January 11, 2007, 01:55:58 AM
I feel that the confusion of who directed the film hurt Reed's career in the long run when most people think of The Third Man they think of Orsen Welles and it being more of a Welles film than anyone else's. But Reed was an amazing director and he proved that with Odd Man Out and The Fallen Idol. But with the fame of The Third Man mostly going to Welles it makes it harder for Reed to be recognized today as the genius that he was... For Reed, The Third Man was his Citizen Kane.

And I heard that Criterion is Reissuing The Third Man and I hope "Shadowing the Third Man" will be on the disc.
thank you, mr. s.  i completely forgot what thread i was in.

Pretty late on this but then it also reminded me of:

Homer: Ooh, gummi bears!  Gummi calves' heads...gummi jaw breakers! [sees a gummi figure on a red pillow in a glass case] Ohh...What's that?
Man: That is the rarest gummi of them all, the gummi Venus de Milo, carved by gummi artisans who were exclusively in the medium of gummi.
Marge: Will you two stop saying "gummi" so much?

Raikus

You can see the season 2 premiere here: http://tv.yahoo.com/falltv2007/friday-night-lights/show/38958/videos

They definitely set it up to be an interesting season. Also, Wilco is everywhere.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Kal

I'm hooked on this... Kyle Chandler is amazing... wish I had a coach like that in High School!

Its really good. I knew it was, but not that I was going to be so into it. I understand now why people were pissed that it got snubbed for the Emmys. I still have more than half a season to go but I'm excited. Watched like 6 episodes on the plane :)