TWBB DVD

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2008, 02:28:24 PM

MacGuffin

QuoteOn a side note, this picture confuses me from Amazon.com

The first two pics are the outer sleeve. The bible is the inner case that holds the DVDs.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: edison on March 19, 2008, 08:43:17 PM

"Winner Golden Globe Award Best Actor"? Fucking hell. I mean, isn't it better, from a comercial point of view, to highlight the fact that it won TWO Oscars instead of one Golden Globe? I mean, I'm not big on marketing, but I'm just saying because if you're gonna make an ugly cover, you'd better take our eyes away from it somehow...
Si

©brad

i think the reason for that would be they started producing these bastards before the oscars.

brockly

ddl was such a sure-fired lock for the oscar that that's not really an excuse.

Ravi

cine

looks like he's ordering a weeping DDL to go sit in the corner.

tpfkabi

Quote from: Cinephile on March 21, 2008, 01:48:20 PM
looks like he's ordering a weeping DDL to go sit in the corner.

DDL: It is finished.
PTA: No no no, it's 'I'm finished,' man. How hard is that?
   *beat*
PTA: Ok. Take 57...
    *beat*
PTA: and action!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

IGN DVD's review:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/861/861597p1.html

Extras and Packaging

If asked why the two-disc collector's edition is, indeed, two discs, one might reasonably assume that P. T. Anderson's response would likely involve the potential over-crowding of a single disc and the lessening of overall transfer quality. And that, most certainly, is an argument which would hold up as both responsible and admirable had the second disc contained even a modicum of worthwhile material. As it stands, the bonus materials here are as follows:

15 Minutes – Research, Etc.
Trailers
Fishing Sequence
Haircut / Interrupted Hymn
Dailies Gone Wild
The Story of Petroleum

All told, there is roughly 50 minutes of additional material on this disc – of which perhaps 30 holds any real value. The 15 minutes of research is simply a montage to music of oil-related photographs from the era – basically, the stuff of a high-school student's report on the subject, were it that the report required a visual aid. The "Story of Petroluem" is a silent film from 1923 produced by the government to educate citizens about the oil business. It's interesting from an historical perspective, but certainly not from a content angle.

The theatrical and teaser trailers flank two fairly substance-less deleted scenes and a lengthy, slightly humorous shot in which Anderson allows the camera to run over-long while Daniel Day-Lewis attempts to remain composed and in character.

The issue here is not whether the material shouldn't have been included – nothing here, in itself, is entirely useless – but whether such little material really required the two-disc treatment. As it stands, the release smacks of price-gouging – brandishing its legitimately gorgeous packaging and a disc full of second-grade extras to rile the wallets of enthusiastic cinephiles. Unfortunately, for anybody except the hardcore collector, the recommendation would ultimately be that there's not enough here to sustain the presentation.

Score: 6 out of 10
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Something Spanish

I got the DVD on Monday and still didn't insert the second disc...first one has been on rotation since, though. The reviewer also forgot to mention the shitty cardboard packaging of DVD and the shitty inside sleeves. It looks especially shitty compared to the PDL DVD...both in content and packaging. Transfer is nice, can't wait for the goddamn bluray

Redlum

Quote from: Shaun Digi on March 26, 2008, 12:46:16 PM
I got the DVD on Monday and still didn't insert the second disc...first one has been on rotation since, though. The reviewer also forgot to mention the shitty cardboard packaging of DVD and the shitty inside sleeves. It looks especially shitty compared to the PDL DVD...both in content and packaging. Transfer is nice, can't wait for the goddamn bluray

I'm wondering if it isn't recycled cardboard to pay for the environmental sins of the derrick fire.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

cine

fulty

So...Blu-ray is June 12...
...sigh
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

john

Quote from: fulty on April 04, 2008, 08:46:56 PM
So...Blu-ray is June 12...
...sigh

That's actually not too long for me to wait and just Netflix the film until then.

did I miss something in the DVDbeaver review, though? Where'd you find out this bit of news?
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

picolas

exclusive gut-review of disc 2 by me

- research (oddly labeled "15 minutes"...seems like a mistake) is pretty much what you'd expect from footage and pictures with score. and has a brief, fun alternate version of future markets. and a few neat discarded shots.. it seems to copy a lot from "the story of petroleum".
- it's nice to see the teaser in non-tube quality. like seeing it for the first time.. i wish the theatrical trailer (not "domestic") was included. i'll never see a high-quality version of that again i guess. there were also a few awesome tv spots that should've been included.
- deleted scenes are more visual wonderfulness but it's understandable they're deleted. odd that the campfire scene is gone.
- dailies gone wild is kind of interesting. i expected more than one daily going wild, though. it's the closest we will ever get to a blooper reel. interesting how loose the take is. it's basically improv. i won't spoil it any more..
- ..i pretty much skipped the story of petroleum for now. research seems like the better, condensed version of it and it pretty much just serves to show how accurate the film was only without cutting back to the film.

overall this feels like a step down from punch-drunk love. but if it had been on one disc, it wouldn't have felt as disappointing.

fulty

Quote from: john on April 04, 2008, 11:22:36 PM
did I miss something in the DVDbeaver review, though? Where'd you find out this bit of news?

That's where I saw it...DVDbeaver.
I think I clicked a Blu-ray tab and then near the end it mentioned upcoming reviews.

Just hoping I made a mistake...and that it will really be out next week.
I mean...I got the Blu-ray player especially for this movie...so come on..!!

Until then, I'll be replaying NCFOM and the Stanley's...they look great.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.