PDL OSCAR CHANCES

Started by Tommy Both, January 13, 2003, 04:11:15 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XixaxAm I the only one that was not so blinded by the fact that this movie was done by PTA that I could still see that PDL was, by and large, completely mediocre?

I guess it's true that I may never know what I might have thought of Punch-Drunk Love had I not seen PTA's other movies. Maybe I was "brainwashed," maybe I was "prepared"... it's hard to tell.

I loved the movie, but it took two or three viewings to be comfortable with it... to let all the pressure of the anticipation and massive expectations wash away... and then I completely loved it and embraced it. I'm sure I don't fully understand it right now, and it will probably take some time and some more viewings to dig up PDL's essence. The first time I saw PDL I had a reaction similar to yours, and I hope you've seen it more than once.

Quote from: Xixaxbut not the masterpiece that Boogie Nights or Magnolia were.

I agree... Magnolia and Boogie Nights are above PDL in my mind, but who knows if that will change. Although I loved Magnolia instantly, Boogie Nights was kind of an acquired taste.

budgie

I am amazed but PDL has snuck right up behind Magnolia for me, and I think its far more visionary than Boogie Nights in filmmaking terms. When I see it again, perhaps I'll be disappointed, but what I loved was that it defies the digging of its essence. Please don't do that, Jeremy, just embrace, just embrace like you would a bird brushing you with its feet.

Jeremy Blackman

Quotewhat I loved was that it defies the digging of its essence. Please don't do that, Jeremy, just embrace, just embrace like you would a bird brushing you with its feet.

I generally like essence, but I think you're right that it's impossible with PDL. I tried with Mulholland Drive, and that didn't really work. Theories are good, though. Theories are always good. I like the bird thing, though... embrace... I'll try...

Xixax

There's a definite love thing going on in here right now. I hope you all feel it and enjoy its warmth.

And don't forget to mop up when you're all finished.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]