Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees Announced

Started by freakerdude, November 21, 2003, 05:33:29 PM

freakerdude

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2004 Inductees Announced

CEREMONY WILL BE HELD MONDAY, MARCH 15, 2004 IN NEW YORK

November 20, 2003 -The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation is proud to announce the 2004 Inductees in the “Performer” category. The announcement was made today by Suzan Evans, Executive Director of the Foundation.

The following artists will be inducted at the Nineteenth Annual Induction Ceremony, which will be held Monday, March 15th in New York at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel:

Jackson Browne -- For more than three decades, Jackson Browne has been one of rock’s consummate singer-songwriters. Writing intricately crafted, deeply personal songs, he made his mark as a master chronicler of the affairs of the heart.

The Dells -- The Dells began recording in 1953 and still perform today with virtually all original members. They have performed and charted in every decade since the Fifties, making them one of the most influential vocal groups of all time.

George Harrison -- Post-Beatles, George Harrison’s career spanned three decades during which he not only furthered his artistry as a musician, songwriter, and producer (of music and numerous films), but as a humanitarian on the world stage.

Prince – Self-produced since his debut at age 20, Prince is one of the most unpredictable as well as one of the most magnificently charismatic figures in the entire pop landscape. His fusion of rock, funk, soul, metal and punk has defied all stereotypes.

Bob Seger – Detroit’s standard-bearer of rock and soul began his multi-platinum streak in 1975, followed by a decade of nearly 20 consecutive top 40 singles, all of which celebrated Bob Seger’s allegiance to and love affair with the music that provided his escape from an impoverished childhood.

Traffic -- Nurtured in the communal flush of the British Invasion, Traffic outgrew its
psychedelic pop roots to become a true fusion group – melding a folk-inspired simplicity with bluesy jazz improv that was given plenty of space on its extended compositions.

ZZ Top -- With the Texas soul, outlaw boogie, and souped-up hot rod funk served up by the durable power trio of Billy Gibbons, Dusty Hill and Frank Beard – ZZ Top – is literally the last word in rock. Three-plus decades on, these Funky Kings might just go on forever.

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria considered includes the influence and significance of the artist's contribution to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation's nominating committee, composed of rock and roll historians, selects nominees each year in the "artist" category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of about 700 rock experts.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation was formed in 1983 and the first induction ceremony was held in 1986. All inductees are represented in the "Hall of Fame", a permanent exhibit at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum, in Cleveland Ohio.
MC Pee Pants

aclockworkjj

Quote from: freakerdude
Traffic -- Nurtured in the communal flush of the British Invasion, Traffic outgrew its
psychedelic pop roots to become a true fusion group – melding a folk-inspired simplicity with bluesy jazz improv that was given plenty of space on its extended compositions.
excellent band...back when steve winwood was actually cool.  I own a gang of their stuff and still always listen to it.  

"You Can All Join In"...that's my recommended song for those who don't know this band.

SHAFTR

Prince – Self-produced since his debut at age 20, Prince is one of the most unpredictable as well as one of the most magnificently charismatic figures in the entire pop landscape. His fusion of rock, funk, soul, metal and punk has defied all stereotypes.

This makes me extremely happy.  I think he is the most talented musician of the 20th century.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SHAFTR
Prince ? Self-produced since his debut at age 20, Prince is one of the most unpredictable as well as one of the most magnificently charismatic figures in the entire pop landscape. His fusion of rock, funk, soul, metal and punk has defied all stereotypes.

This makes me extremely happy.  I think he is the most talented musician of the 20th century.

i agree but i think he is ONE of the most talented...

Pedro

JAckson Browne....mmm

"late for the sky" is one killer album

phil marlowe

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Prince ? Self-produced since his debut at age 20, Prince is one of the most unpredictable as well as one of the most magnificently charismatic figures in the entire pop landscape. His fusion of rock, funk, soul, metal and punk has defied all stereotypes.
prince is a genius musician, he plays something like 14 instruments on an music academy level.

Pubrick

Quote from: phil is so sexy
prince is a genius musician, he plays something like 14 instruments on an music academy level.
and he has a large penis.
under the paving stones.

Pas

Quote from: P
Quote from: phil is so sexy
and he has a large penis.

Oh man this placed missed you so

I hear next year Britney Spears will be inducted, to promote her new album.

Find Your Magali

Oh, how it makes me feel old to think that it's 25 years since Prince's first record.... :(

freakerdude

Oh yeah? I may be as old as you are......or older. I remember his break through very well.
MC Pee Pants

MacGuffin

Prince, Seger, Harrison lead inductees into rock hall

NEW YORK (AP) -- With nimble dance steps, blistering guitar and a trio of 1980s-era hits, Prince extended his purple reign to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Monday.

Detroit rocker Bob Seger, California singer-songwriter Jackson Browne and ex-Beatle George Harrison also joined the hall at its annual induction ceremony, along with ZZ Top, Traffic and the Dells.

Dressed in a white suit Prince brought the normally staid crowd to its feet with some vintage funk-rock. He played three of his hits: "Let's Go Crazy," "Sign O' the Times" and "Kiss."

A restless perfectionist, the Minneapolis-based singer often played every instrument on his discs. He said he was preoccupied early in his career with maintaining his freedom.

"I embarked on a journey more fascinating than I could ever imagine, but a word to the wise to the young artists -- without spiritual guidance too much freedom can lead to spiritual decline," he said.

He also warned youthful musicians, "A real friend and mentor is not on your payroll."

Prince was inducted by outrageous rappers OutKast and soulful singer Alicia Keys, who said Prince influenced them as they grew up.

"There are many kings," Keys said. "King Henry VIII, King Solomon, King Tut, King James, King Kong and the three kings. But there is only one Prince."

Browne co-wrote "Take it Easy" for the Eagles, then was successful on his own with "Doctor My Eyes," "The Pretender" and "Running on Empty."

The "No Nukes" concert organizer has mixed the political with the personal throughout his career.

"I want to thank you for allowing me to put my personal politics in my songs," he said. "Music is a very empowering thing. I'm thankful for having had a lifetime doing it. Thank you for this job."

Bruce Springsteen inducted Brown, noting with some jealousy that while he and his E Street Band usually drew an audience filled with men, Browne was a magnet for women. Springsteen called Browne a "bona fide rock 'n' roll sex star."

"Jackson was drawing more women than an Indigo Girls show," Springsteen said.

Browne performed "The Pretender," paused to thank his manager, then sang "Running on Empty."

Seger, who still lives in the Detroit area, burst from regional to national fame with the hits "Night Moves," "Old Time Rock & Roll" and "Like a Rock," the latter a longtime Chevy commercial theme.

Fellow Michigan singer Kid Rock inducted Seger, calling him one of music's most overlooked performers. "In the Detroit area, Seger is God," Rock said.

"Bob Seger's music not only influenced me, it taught me to be proud of where I come from. I still am," he said. "He set the bar for all of us who came from the Midwest."

Seger brought up his Silver Bullet Band for their first public performance in nine years. They sang "Turn the Page" and the wedding staple, "Old Time Rock 'n' Roll."

Michigan's governor declared Monday "Bob Seger Day" in the state.

Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne, two fellow members of the Traveling Wilburys, were on hand to salute Harrison. The guitarist joins John Lennon and Paul McCartney as Beatles also honored by the Rock Hall as solo artists.

Harrison's biggest hit, "My Sweet Lord," came in a burst of pent-up creativity following the Beatles' breakup. He recorded infrequently in the decade before his November 2001 cancer death, but a well-received posthumous disc came out in 2002.

Hirsute blues-rockers ZZ Top were an early MTV staple with the boogie hits, "Legs" and "Sharp-Dressed Man," helped by the presence of little-dressed women in their videos.

And they were a ready-made trivia question: the one member of the trio who didn't wear a beard down to his chest was named (Frank) Beard.

Traffic featured teen prodigy organist Steve Winwood, who later went on to solo success. The pastoral, jazzy Traffic had hits with "Glad" and "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys."

The Dells, a vocal harmony quintet that hit with "Oh What a Night" in 1955, were the inspiration for the film "The Five Heartbeats." With only one personnel change, a group formed in high school is still performing together more than 50 years later.

Rolling Stone magazine founder Jann Wenner was to receive a lifetime achievement award.

Highlights of the awards ceremony will be shown on VH1 on Sunday.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Thrindle

Looks like I'm the only Bob Seger fan among us...
We've Got Tonight - classic love song.
Against the Wind - Forrest ran to it for years...
Turn the Page - just fucking good.

AND FOR THE FINALE...  "NIGHT MOVES".  That song just makes me want to do it in the back of a chevy.   :twisted:
Classic.

SoNowThen

Have you seen American Pop, where the guy plays Night Moves on the piano at the end? Best use of that song ever.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

Rock hall noms to Grandmaster Flash, Newman

(AP) NEW YORK -- Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five are among the nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame -- the first rap artists to get that distinction -- joining U2, Randy Newman and the O'Jays on the ballot.

Other nominees include blues guitarist Buddy Guy, rockabilly pioneer Wanda Jackson, rock band the Pretenders, soul singer Percy Sledge, "Centerfold" singers the J. Geils Band and the late country singer Conway Twitty.

Previous nominees on the ballot: the Sex Pistols, Patti Smith, the Stooges, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Gram Parsons.

Getting his start as a DJ at Bronx parties in the late 1970s, Grandmaster Flash later joined with the Furious Five for the social commentary of "The Message" and "White Lines (Don't Don't Do It").

Singers of "Back Stabbers" and a string of other soulful hits, the O'Jays had their chart heyday in the 1970s.

A singer of satirical songs like "Short People," Newman is now one of the Hollywood's most successful composers of movie music.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote, and results of the 20th annual election will likely be announced in December. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Rock Hall of Fame Announces Inductees

NEW YORK - Black Sabbath, Miles Davis and the Sex Pistols are among five musical legends to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will hold its induction ceremony March 13 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in Manhattan, the organization announced Monday.

Also to be inducted into the class of 2006: 1980s New Wave band Blondie and Southern rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss, who founded A&M records in 1962, will receive a lifetime achievement award in the non-performer category.

Inductees into the side-men category will be announced at a later date.

Musicians, industry professionals and journalists vote on the nominations. Artists are eligible to be inducted into the Rock Hall after at least 25 years have passed since their first record was released.

Skeleton FilmWorks