Paterson

Started by jenkins, February 03, 2016, 02:04:30 PM

jenkins

QuoteCredit for the photo goes to still photographer Mary Cybulski, who's previously worked on The Wolf of Wall Street, Trainwreck, The Knick, and more.

US distributor: Amazon, w/theatrical release

source

writer/director: Jim Jarmusch
dp: Frederick Elmes (Synecdoche, Storytelling, The Ice Storm, Wild at Heart, River's Edge, Blue Velvet, Eraserhead)

synopsis:

QuotePaterson is a bus driver in the city of Paterson, New Jersey – they share the name.

Every day, Paterson adheres to a simple routine: he drives his daily route, observing the city as it drifts across his windshield and overhearing fragments of conversation swirling around him; he writes poetry into a notebook; he walks his dog; he stops in a bar and drinks exactly one beer; he goes home to his wife, Laura. By contrast, Laura´s world is ever changing. New dreams come to her almost daily.

Paterson loves Laura and she loves him. He supports her newfound ambitions; she champions his gift for poetry.

The film quietly observes the triumphs and defeats of daily life, along with the poetry evident in its smallest details.

looking forward to this so much i'm close to falling over. whatever happened to The Sea of Trees? that's unrelated to this conversation.

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on February 03, 2016, 02:04:30 PMwhatever happened to The Sea of Trees? that's unrelated to this conversation.

It bombed hard at Cannes and now nobody cares.

jenkins

samsong

film of the year.  jarmusch's lifelong pursuit of eschewing cinematic convention and genuinely warm, affectionate outlook reach an apex here to such delightful heights.  it's as much a film about the way it feels to wake up every day next to the person you love as it is about poetry and finding poetry in everyday life.  it's a film to experience, to get lost in, to be uplifted by, enlightened by the feasibility of contentment within our own lives.  in a year that we lost abbas kiarostami, i'm especially grateful for this movie as it's reminiscent of his ineffable ability for cinematic poetry.  it's the perfect antidote to the shitstorm of a year 2016 has been. 

it also has the funniest moment i've seen in a film since, well, i guess since i saw toni erdmann a few days ago.  and i'm hopelessly in love with golshifteh farahani.  a ha.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Whether or not these movies are great or "just okay", I'm glad you guys are seeing and reviewing them because I would've never heard of this and completely written off "La La Land" as just another muscial.

jenkins