QT on Conan O'Brien

Started by ono, October 30, 2003, 11:40:02 PM

lamas

Quote from: FernandoDoes anyone remember that he mentioned he wanted to have the KB premiere like a ghetto grindhouse movie, then mentioned something like taking it to the Carson Twins level, are these the guys who are always riding bikes? The two bearded fat guys? If so, what is the deal of them, actually I've always been curious about them, what is the thing they do that make them so famous? Is it because they're just twins?

I don't know if you're serious or not, but he was talking about a theatre in Carson, CA.

Fernando

Quote from: lamas
Quote from: FernandoDoes anyone remember that he mentioned he wanted to have the KB premiere like a ghetto grindhouse movie, then mentioned something like taking it to the Carson Twins level, are these the guys who are always riding bikes? The two bearded fat guys? If so, what is the deal of them, actually I've always been curious about them, what is the thing they do that make them so famous? Is it because they're just twins?

I don't know if you're serious or not, but he was talking about a theatre in Carson, CA.

I was, and when he said that those twins were what poped in my mind.

Thanks for clarifying this.

bonanzataz

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaColor me dense, but why would telling a girl you had mono get you anywhere with her?

b/c it's a joke. they freak out and you say, haha, just kidding!

hey, it worked last night... BOO YA!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Gloria

Does anyone have a transcript or link from this interview?  I missed it  :(

Sleuth

Quote from: GloriaDoes anyone have a transcript or link from this interview?  I missed it  :(

Your life is forfeit
I like to hug dogs

pinkerton310

I caught the repeat of Quentin on Conan on Friday night.  I had no idea he was on the previous night.  His idea for a "ghetto" premiere of Kill Bill was hilarious. For him to actually think that would be cool...He is one crazy dude.
They say we all lose 21 grams at the exact moment of our death... everyone. The weight of a stack of nickels. The weight of a chocolate bar. The weight of a hummingbird...

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaDoes anyone have a transcript or link from this interview?  I missed it  :(

I taped it. What you got in trade for transcription?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffin

I taped it. What you got in trade for transcription?

A trade? hmmm.......

You give me a transcript, and I'll thank you in my Academy Awards acceptance speech :wink:

But if that never happens, I'll promise you a grateful Gloria.  :)

MacGuffin

Quote from: GloriaYou give me a transcript, and I'll thank you in my Academy Awards acceptance speech :wink:

But if that never happens, I'll promise you a grateful Gloria.  :)

I dunno. It's a lot of typing. I say, in addition to above, first born child named after me is about "even. Even Steven."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

I dunno. It's a lot of typing. I say, in addition to above, first born child named after me is about "even. Even Steven."

Nooo....hows about I pay for your carpal tunnel surgery from the extensive typing  :roll:

To seal the deal, I will name the hamster in my avatar after you  :wink:

"Even Steven"?

©brad

Quote from: Gloria

Nooo....hows about I pay for your carpal tunnel surgery from the extensive typing  :roll:

To seal the deal, I will name the hamster in my avatar after you  :wink:

"Even Steven"?

i think i can speak on behalf of macman when i say 'u got a deal my friend!!"

MacGuffin

Make sure you say my name at the podium correctly, Gloria:

Conan: My first guest tonight is an Academy Award winner, who has directed such films as “Reservoir Dogs,” “Pulp Fiction” and “Jackie Brown.” Currently you can see his new film “Kill Bill Volume 1” in theaters everywhere. Please welcome, Quentin Tarantino.

Applause. QT comes out as Max and the band play Link Wray‘s “Rumble”.

C: Man, there’s a lot to talk about here. First of all, I loved “Kill Bill.” I really enjoyed it...
QT: Thanks.
C: They make me go to a lot of screenings of movies that I don’t like (crowd begins to applaud)...
QT (to audience): Thank you too.
C: I was in it from the beginning, and I’m waiting for Part 2. But I understand that the “Kill Bill” premiere, ‘cause this movie’s been very successful, lot of people like this movie, you had a big premiere, everybody came, but you were not happy. You were dissatisfied with the premiere.
QT: Yeah, I was a little dissatisfied with the premiere, yeah. Well the reason is because this is a Grindhouse Movie, alright. It was inspired by drive-ins and the all ghetto theaters that I went to see all the Kung-Fu films, the Blaxplotation movies, the Spaghetti Westerns when I was growing up. And so we had the premiere, and it was a beautiful theater, I think one of the best theaters in the world; the Grauman’s Chinese Theater...
C: Which is in Los Angeles.
QT: In Los Angeles, and it’s the landmark, it’s the legend in it’s own time, alright. But it is rather high class, alright. And, uh, it’s the same thing with a premiere, you know, the celebrities show up, and they gotta go through the whole red carpet. And everything kinda takes it away from the Grindhouse experience. So I had an idea, I had a thought. How can I get this premiere to get real ghetto, alright? How can we bring it down to the ghetto level?
C: And that’s when you can to Conan. (audience and QT laugh) ‘Cause I am ‘street’. Nothing says ‘street cred’ like this guy right here. No, go ahead, what did you do?
QT: So, I was having different thoughts of how can I bring this down to the Carson Twin level, alright, where I grew up going to see movies. And I thought, well wait a minute, one of the things I can do is, I can let loose a bunch of rats in the theater, alright. So as people are watching it, just like what happens in a ghetto theater when I was watching old Kung-Fu movies in the 70’s, all of a sudden something runs across your shoe, alright. All of a sudden you have a little friend, you know, behind your chair, alright. That’d make it ghetto. That’d make it the ghetto experience.
C: But big celebrities are sitting in the audience of this premiere. You some of the most...
QT: But you gotta get that red carpet out of their system, alright. I want them to enjoy the movie, alright. But then I came up with a great idea. If we’re really get it ghetto up in there, the way to really do it, really do it, alright, is you take about a hundred tickets, say there’s about five hundred seats in the theater, okay. And four hundred are filled with celebrities, alright. You take a hundred tickets, go down to Compton, alright. (laughter) You give fifty tickets out to all the Crips, alright. “Hey, free movie. Quentin Tarantino’s new movie. Here come see it. Come, come, come, see it. Come to the premiere tonight. You got it, man, alright. Free 40’s. You got it, alright.” Then you go across the street to the Bloods, alright.
C: Funny that they live across the street from each other. (laughter) They should get a little distance.
QT: Well, that’s why it’s a turf war, alright. You go across the street, you fifty tickets to the Bloods., alright. So now, all the celebrities show up at the premiere, alright. So what you do, they don’t know this is gonna happen, but what you do is print up two jackets will “Kill Bill” on it; one is red, one is blue. So when, uh, uh, Alec Baldwin, and Jack Nicholson...
C: And Billy Baldwin...
QT: Lara Flynn Boyle, okay, when they all show up to see the movie...
C: Steven Baldwin.
QT: Steven Baldwin, alright. James Baldwin, alright. (laughter) When they show up to see, you can’t get in unless you pick either a red jacket or blue jacket, alright. So all the celebrities have got either red or blue, okay, and they’re all out in the theater there, alright. Alright. Then, after all the celebrities have sat down, then you let in, through the front doors, alright, you let in the fifty Crips, alright. And they all come Gangta-ing in there (swishing like a tough guy) “Huh, huh, huh.” Alright. And all the...
C: Wait, that Popeye you just did. (laughter, Conan imitates QT)
QT: “Blow me down!”
They both do the Popeye laugh.
QT: So, fifty blue, fifty Crips wearing blue come bursting in, alright, all the celebrities (with goofy face) “Huh?” Look up at that, alright.
C: (laughs) Who are these celebrities? (with goofy face) “Huhhh?”
QT imitates Shaggy.
C: Scooby’s there, yeah.
QT: Alright. Then you have by, so they’re over here (behind himself), alright. Then you have, like most theaters you have the screen and the two exits signs right over here (opposite sides), alright. Then you let in fifty Bloods, alright. “Whum!” They come in. Alright. The Bloods see The Crips. The Crips see The Bloods. The celebrities see everybody else...
C: And where are the rats in all this?
QT: The rats are running around. The rats are seeing everybody, alright.
C: The rats are like, (with goofy face) “Huh? Huh? Huh?”
QT: And as everybody just looks at everybody else, shut the lights off and start the movie!
C: I love that idea. That’s an idea.
(applause and laughter)
QT: That’s a ghetto, Grindhouse experience.
C: Because I think you’re a director, you can pitch an idea so well. I think, I would love to see you go in and like pitch a very standard for a “Gilligan’s Island” plot. Because I think you would add a lot excitement to it. (imitating QT) “Here’s the thing. Gilligan and the monkey have to get to the volcano” and it’d be just like “Wow.”
QT: Ya see, I would always do it a little bit differently. I would always do what you’ve never seen before, alright. Like, Mary Ann and Ginger would get pregnant on my “Gillian’s Island,” alright. And Skipper and Little Bitty Buddy, alright, up there in the two hammocks with each other all the time. We know what that’s about. (laughter)
C: This is a new “Gilligan’s Island” that I would watch.
QT: Just the Skipper up there looking at Little Bitty Buddy’s butt, just swinging every day.
C: And they’re sailors.
QT: They’re sailors. There you go. Say no more, say no more.
C: We have to show, we’ve talked about...there’s no time to talk about all these cool things. We have a clip here from “Kill Bill” and I wanna make sure we set this up properly.
QT: I think this a Go-Go clip, isn’t it?
C: I love Go-Go.
QT: She almost steals the damn movie, she’s so cool. The thing is, in the movie, Uma Thuman has to fight a whole army of people to get to Lucy Lui’s character, O-Ren. So what ends up happening is her number one bodyguard is a 16 year-old girl in a Japanese  school girl uniform with quite a wacky weapon.
C: It’s a cool weapon, yeah.
QT: The thing is, she literally is a Japanese anime come to life. So this is, Uma Thuman’s character, The Bride, facing down the teenage bodyguard, Go-Go Yobody.
C: Alright, let’s take a look at this clip from “Kill Bill.”
(Shows clip of Go-Go’s intro)
C: I will not fight that woman. “Kill Bill Volume 1” is in theaters now. And “Volume 2” is coming...
QT: Coming out, hopefully if I get it done in time, Feburary.
C: Please come back and talk about that. Love talking to you.
QT: Please invite me.
(Applause)
C: Quentin Tarantino everyone. Molly Simms coming up. We’re gonna take a break. Be right back.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

QT 'Alright' Count: 38.
If the segment was approximately 10 minutes, that's an "Alright" about every 15 seconds.

Gloria

modage

both of their voices are so engrained into my head that while i was reading that i could actually hear them talking it just like i was watching it on tv.  (which i missed, ) so thanks mac.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.