The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou

Started by lamas, March 18, 2003, 11:03:05 PM

Ernie

Quote from: P
Quote from: ebeaman69Kidman or no Kidman I already can't wait for this fucking movie. I'm so glad to see Schwartzman back...and Owen Wilson too, he can finally be funny again after all those fucking lame action movies.
u don't hav to swear just cos u can.

Sorry mom...I just get excited. I don't do it to be cool. See, this is the only place that I hear about this exclusive stuff...it's where I hear about everything, it's where I heard about PDL for the first time...so the reactions of mine (such as this one) that you read is my first and most honest reaction. I don't think about it and edit it a million times.

sphinx

owen wilson confirmed wes is shooting in rome with nicole kidman

Ernie

Quote from: sphinxowen wilson confirmed wes is shooting in rome with nicole kidman

Right now? Awesome. I just hope she can be funny, Kidman that is. Or is this even a comedy? I sure hope it's got some of that Wes Anderson humor in it.

I hope they put "from the creator of The Royal Tenenbaums" in the trailer. I love when they do that stuff. It always gives me chills.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

The Silver Bullet

QuoteI just hope she can be funny, Kidman that is.

See To Die For.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

cine

Lets just hope Kidman proves herself as an overall good actor in the film. This is sort of an irrelevent topic but Kidman did NOT deserve the Best Actress Oscar for the Hours. Anybody who saw it would've chosen Streep for Best Actress on any day of the week: More screen time.. more development of the character.. MUCH more emotion.. Kidman was not deserving.. she got it because everyone said it was "her time".. where the fuck was everybody when Julianne Moore was pulling off dynamic performances in "Short Cuts", "Safe", "Boogie Nights", "Magnolia", "Cookie's Fortune", etc.. and Kidman made "To Die For", "Moulin Rouge!" and "The Others"... Uh huh. Who has the stronger acting resume when looking at a PURE actress? I think the only great performance out of Kidman was Kubrick's complex "Eyes Wide Shut"

Ghostboy

Well, I saw The Hours and I thought Kidman was better than Streep overall. I would have been happy with any of the nominess in that category this year, though. All top notch.

cine

Oh yeah.. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ultimately knocking Kidman as an actress.. but I just think she's been overly hyped. As if Kidman overshadows everybody when that most definitely is not the case with all the strong performances. I think more people should've seen "Far From Heaven" but.. such is the life of an indie.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: CinephileOh yeah.. I don't want to make it seem like I'm ultimately knocking Kidman as an actress.. but I just think she's been overly hyped. As if Kidman overshadows everybody when that most definitely is not the case with all the strong performances. I think more people should've seen "Far From Heaven" but.. such is the life of an indie.

I saw it, I think Julianne Moore deserves and Oscar, but not for that.

cine

I don't want to seem like "the more screen time, the more deserving for an oscar" because thats not true. I was moved a lot more by Moore's excellent performance than Kidman's performance. This year was just an unfortunate one for the Best Actress category.

©brad

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: CinephileI think more people should've seen "Far From Heaven" but.. such is the life of an indie.

I saw it, I think Julianne Moore deserves and Oscar, but not for that.

wh...wha...whaat?????!!!!!!

Gold Trumpet

I never understood the hype to Julianne Moore's performance in Far From Heaven either. The role of wholesome cliched 1950s mother coming to terms with a horrible situation in a repressed fashion is a typical role already. Moore has very little to do with the role but act the character that has been shown a billion times over. The real discovery of great acting in Far From Heaven is with Dennis Quaid and his complete breakdown that is present on screen.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetThe role of wholesome cliched 1950s mother coming to terms with a horrible situation in a repressed fashion is a typical role already.

Any examples?

Gold Trumpet

Off the top of my head, there is Joan Allen in Pleasantville and Laura Linney in The Truman Show but this argument seems misplaced because I am certain everyone who has been watching tv and movies for the past 10 years knows that common motif of how the typical cliche 1950s house wife acted as represented on tv and has been re-used over and over again through tv and movies in different areas. This is all based off old tv shows, from Leave it to Beaver and other such shows that for the time period, was trying to suggest the example of what every family should be like. There it became the cliche and in the two examples I named, was re used to address that.

~rougerum

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOff the top of my head, there is Joan Allen in Pleasantville and Laura Linney in The Truman Show

The Joan Allen example is a good one, but doesn't that represent a broader eye-opening in Pleasantville? And it was less discovering something horrible than it was discovering something wonderful. Laura Linney in the Truman Show doesn't really fit, though... that's more like.. an actress trying to fake the typical 50s cliche housewife, or at leasted one adapted for the 90's.. and that's more about Truman anyway (but I guess the whole thing is similar to Pleasantville). Obviously there is a cliche of the 50s American housewife, but I'm not seeing the cliche of playing off that cliche.