Lost in Translation

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, September 07, 2003, 11:51:23 PM

Sleuth

I had a reply but it spoiled another movie possibly, and that would be awkward to talk about that movie here
I like to hug dogs

coffeebeetle

I just got back from this film.  
I'm nearly speechless.  My eyes welled up on this one...the last time I remember doing this was Apollo 13 (but out of joy...this was infinitely sadder...)
Every single fucking thing in this film worked in perfect harmony.  The cinematography complimented the actors and the acting was out of this world.  This film should win an Oscar.  There, I said it.  This could quite possibly be the best film of the year.  I loved the silences in this movie...the dialogue was sparse and that was wonderful.  I think we could all learn alot from Sofia Coppola's writing/directing style, IMHO of course.
I want to write so much more about this, but I have to go see it again.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

EL__SCORCHO

I saw the film and thought it was good, but I was a bit dissapointed because I heard too many people tell me how amazing it was. Ok it was more than good but I think people have gotten carried away with all the compliments. The acting, directing, music, cinematography, all good but thats as far as it goes. Nothing amazing about any of it.

ono

Spoilers possible.

I just got back from a double feature of Lost in Translation and Kill Bill.  So it was a good day overall, even though I have mixed feelings LIT.  The opening shot was one of the most beautiful I've seen in a film in a long time.  Scarlett Johanssen is one of the most beautiful women I've seen in a film in a long time.  I can't believe I have four years on her.  She just radiates maturity.

But anyway, that's beside the point.  As much as I loved the mood and tone of the film, and thought the cinematography was great, I felt it only grazed the surface of what could've been a much more compelling drama.  There is something to be said for the lack of dialogue and letting the pictures tell the story, but also, there is something to be said for really letting your characters talk to each other.  Because there was a lack of this, I felt that Bob and Charlotte really got to know each other well, but we didn't get to know them; like we were on the outside looking in.  It was rather unfortunate, too, because I haven't cared about two characters in a film in a long time.  Still, though, it is one of the best films of the year, even though I was a bit disappointed.  And yeah, I got teary-eyed at the end, though the fact that I couldn't hear what Bob whispered to Charlotte annoyed me.  A hesitant **** (9/10).

Gold Trumpet

Sad to say, I didn't like this film. It seemed to be three types of scenes just repeated continually: 1.) Characters indifferent to loved ones and feeling the isolation of it. 2.) Isolation of being in another country and noticing differences and absurdities in that culture in relation to their own. 3.) Characters exploring a light friendship/care for each other. This all could be good if it the scenes were exploring something, but it really isn't that much. The third example is a kinda. The first two examples really don't at all. They are set up like plot points to show the situation of the character. Thing is, they are more set up as introductions to the situations of the characters. After the situation is introduced, the story is to move along. This film doesn't. It consistently introduces the ideas as if new and very quickly makes the movie not only lame, but very boring. I was waiting for the movie to end and thinking of how good Kill Bill was going to be.

Also, on the actors, Scarlett Johannsson seems the only one right for the role. She has a normal beauty for her young self that is interesting. Bill Murray, though, is wrong. Everything in the storyline suggests an aging actor of action movies and roles typical Hollywood leading man. Murray's own presence suggests nothing of that. Even in his youth, he looked like an everyman. The only thing that connects him to the role is his dry sense of humor.

~rougerum

Cecil

this film made me feel like i was in love. then i felt depressed for 3 minutes, then i felt in love again

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Cecilthis film made me feel like i was in love. then i felt depressed for 3 minutes, then i felt in love again

Have you talked to a doctor about this?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeiathe fact that I couldn't hear what Bob whispered to Charlotte annoyed me.  

Funny... that sticks out as maybe the finest moment in the entire fine film for me... Something along the lines of the sound at the end of Magnolia, with Jim Kurring just barely audible, but taking it even further- acknowleding that for us to know the actual word-by-word exchance is less powerful than knowing what it is he's saying to her. It put it on a more purely emotional level, I think.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetSad to say, I didn't like this film.

so what does it feel like to hate everything?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

I wouldn't know. I don't hate everything.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Silly mod-age, GT doesn't hate "Die Hard".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

coffeebeetle

:lol:

Seriously though Trumpet, how could you say Murray was wrong for his role?  Who would you rather see up there?!?

EDIT: Wait, wait, don't tell me: Bruce Willis...?
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Gold Trumpet

Willis isnt far gone enough yet. His looks are still in place, but if seeing him at a more elder age, he'd fit because he has the range to play this role and the wit and humor requiring of the role.

Murray just isn't believable as the aging Hollywood leading man type at all. Adjust the role to fit his suit and maybe. Its just that he is playing elder suave and doesn't come off as that at all. Guys that get those kind of commercials are Robert Redford, Harrison Ford and even Brad Pitt. Ford could have done it if he worked hard to actually act. His humor suggests non interest in everything anyways. Redford just doesn't have the humor.

~rougerum

Teen Wolf

You're right, Golden Trumpet, in that Bill Murray, in real life, would never be offered that kind of commercial, as he is not debonaire. Watching him trying to be suave is funny, though, is it not?

You say that everything in the movie suggests that Bill Murray's character is an aging leading man and that is just not believable. That's fine, but I urge you to explore the possibility that maybe this, like everything else in the movie, is 'lost in translation.' Think of how the French idolized Jerry Lewis.