The Brown Bunny

Started by meatwad, May 09, 2003, 07:49:32 PM

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan

by the way, if all you remember is the corpse scene does that not say something about you

Yes. It says that nudity of any sort does not constitute a "key moment" for me, but a character becoming a corpse does.  :roll:

This sequeways nicely (lest I commit another digression...) into my sincere doubt that this supposedly scandalous oral sex in Brown Bunny is really going to be the most memorable bit.

WHAT ???????????????? are you saying that the blowjob scene in brown bunny is not going to be the most well known scene in that movie

i will go so far as to say that is the only thing people will say about this movie

thats the only thing people so far have said about it, and mind you these  are people in canne

and by the way katie holmes sexulaity is key to the gift, and the tease scene with greg kinear is very important to the plot, thats why he kills her

SoNowThen

Yeah, I certainly hope you're right. It's like when people came out of Magnolia and all they wanted to do was talk about whether or not they hated the frogs. I guess they missed the other 3 hours of the film. It's a shame that one shocking thing can make dolts overlook absolutely everything else about a movie. Sigh.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: SoNowThenYeah, I certainly hope you're right. It's like when people came out of Magnolia and all they wanted to do was talk about whether or not they hated the frogs. I guess they missed the other 3 hours of the film. It's a shame that one shocking thing can make dolts overlook absolutely everything else about a movie. Sigh.

the reason why the frogs is not the key issue to magnolia is that it has three hours to back it up

this film may have nothing to back it up

and well pta is a film maker and not just some guy who is trying ti inflate his image by telling us how cool he is

which is what gallo is

he is not trying to contribute to cinema

all he wants to do is tell us how cool he is and how un cool everyone else is

i do that shit all the time, because i fucking rock

but i have the goods to back it up

say have you ever seen me Mambo ?????

EL__SCORCHO

Here's what Ebert recently posted on his site, apparently even Gallo thinks it sucks:

May 25, 2003

Advertisement

CANNES, France--The Affair of the Brown Bunny, one of the most astonishing episodes in the history of the Cannes Film Festival, took another turn Friday when director Vincent Gallo apologized for his film and said, "It is a disaster and a waste of time."

Gallo's "Brown Bunny," which screened as one of three American entries in the official competition, was the lowest-rated film in the history of Screen International, the British trade paper that tabulates votes of a panel of critics. It was booed and laughed at during its screenings, there were countless walkouts, and its inclusion as an official selection called into question the judgment, even the sanity, of the programmers. That several French critics liked it was, Gallo said, "almost like salt in the wound."

The film consists of an unendurable 90 minutes of uneventful banality, as Gallo's character travels cross-country toward a motorcycle race in California, followed by a hard-core sex scene in which he imagines he receives fellatio from his lost love, played by Chloe Sevigny. Let it be said that Sevigny, who reportedly cried during the screening, is heroic in the way she finds conviction and truth in her character, in the midst of the general catastrophe. Many minutes of the earlier scenes consist of such shots as a windshield gradually accumulating dead bugs.

Gallo is talented as an actor, and his first film as a director, "Buffalo 66" (1998), was so quirky and free-spirited you not only forgave its eccentricities but cherished them. Nothing in his previous career would predict the disaster of "Brown Bunny."

"I accept what the critics say," Gallo told Screen International, whose panel gave the bunny its record low rating. "If no one wants to see it, they are right. I apologize to the financiers of the film, but I must assure you it was never my intention to make a pretentious film, a self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging film."

"L'Affaire Brown Bunny" has generated so much publicity, as the low point of a dismal year at Cannes, that it may actually find French distribution; there may be a cachet attached to seeing such a universally derided film. Some French critics specialize in defending the indefensible, to show that they alone can understand a rejected work; their explications of "Brown Bunny" may be--indeed, must inevitably be--more entertaining than the film.

Gallo might be expected to leave town quickly after the bunny debacle, but he is also an actor in Peter Greenaway's "The Tulse Luper Suitcases: The Moab Story," which plays in the official competition here over the weekend. That means he will be expected to march once again up the red carpet and into the Palais--where, he said, the "Brown Bunny" screening was "the worst feeling I ever had in my life."

Roger Ebert

I think Gallo's acting like a pussy putting his own film down like this. Had the movie been given a warm reception, he wouldnt have said these things. Seems pretty chickenshit to me.

MrBurgerKing

Maybe he knew it was horrible all along and wanted people to suffer through it. Kinda Kaufmanesque.

Gold Trumpet

Hah, if Kaufman was in this situation, he would be touting the film as the greatest since Citizen Kane and calling all people who hated the film some crude things. To make things even more grandstanding, he would invite the few french critics who liked it to lunch and televise it as his next comedic special.

~rougerum

MrBurgerKing

That's true, good point! It's kind of weird that he would completely turn on the film all because other people didn't like it.

If everyone in the world turned on Burger King and said it is terrible, I'd stick by it. I know some prick who saw Punch-Drunk Love and hated it, but then when he got home and read the positive reviews, he completely changed his opinion.

RegularKarate

My Prediction is that now that it's been labeled the worst film in the History of Cannes, there will be people who decide everyone was missing something and go on to talk about how wonderful it is, just making shit up.

It's pretty rare that a film that is panned hard-core by almost every critic, including the filmmaker is ever really good.

I may rent the dvd and fast forward through a lot of the shit... some people will go and say "it's important to watch it all, to soak in the mood of the banality... it really capture the everyday dullness" to which I will reply "I can be bored on my own, thank you, I don't need to be told what that's like".

children with angels

I still really want to watch it though, even if it is the biggest follow-up disappointment ever after the wonderfulness of Buffalo (the highest ranking for me so far is Panic Room). I have a sneaky suspicion though that what people are calling boring I will think is fucking hilarious... Kind of Beckett-like... Could be wrong - I don't want to sound like one of those people RK so rightly predicts will come out of the woodwork. I just have a suspicion I'm gonna like it...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

EL__SCORCHO

Damn, the guy who just won the Camera de Or at Cannes said, "Vincent Gallo, dont give up".

Are people pitying him now?

I just wanna see Chloe Sevigny giving a blowjob. Hope they dont cut that out on dvd.

Ghostboy

I don't know if it's pity. I bet a lot of people just really root for him.

I wonder if The Brown Bunny is REALLY that bad. From what I've read (AICN had a pretty detailed review), I think I know exactly what the movie will be like. It won't be great, but it doesn't sound like the worst film of Cannes ever. I think a lot of critics are just disgruntled because the selection isn't as good as past years.

Pozer

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackManwell you do like the taste of men ass

and that much we can agree on.

I frequently visit a board that has posts like these?

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI don't know if it's pity. I bet a lot of people just really root for him.

I wonder if The Brown Bunny is REALLY that bad. From what I've read (AICN had a pretty detailed review), I think I know exactly what the movie will be like. It won't be great, but it doesn't sound like the worst film of Cannes ever. I think a lot of critics are just disgruntled because the selection isn't as good as past years.

It's just possible that the film community worldwide hates Gallo as much as the domestic one does, and that could have a lot to do with its horrible reception.

It's too bad that now it seems none of us can see it with our own eyes given the debacle at Cannes... but I'm still going to try.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sal

I think there's a very good chance of seeing The Brown Bunny.  It's garnered great attention, and if a film grabs a lot of attention, there will be a demand.  Doesn't matter if it's good or bad.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThen*SPOILER*

You don't see her naked until it's already "too late," if you know what I mean.
That's not entirely true.  There's also the confrontation between her and Greg Kinnear's character where she's topless.  Yes.  But *ahem* The Gift was a good movie despite Katie Holmes' toplessness.  That was just a pleasant bonus.  ;)

As for The Brown Bunny, it's one of those trainwreck things, that people will want to see to say they've seen it.  I haven't seen Pink Flamingos myself, but I've heard descriptions, and read Ebert's review, saying how the trailer was just of people's reactions to the movie itself, and I'm sure there are more movies along those same lines.  Could name some, but you get the idea.

I'd just recently heard of Gallo, and want to see Buffalo '66, but I've gotta say I feel bad for the guy, him making a misstep like that, and hope he isn't serious about that "stopping making movies" thing, although I can understand how being booed would be a blow -- that is, if he was serious.