The Fountain

Started by DavTMcGowan, April 28, 2003, 10:48:01 PM

Sleuth

I thought he was already in it (another character)
I like to hug dogs

Ghostboy

I think IMDB had him on there for a while, but it was just a rumor that was later debunked. He would be cool, but I'd actually prefer to see Bale, Brody or Farrell in the role (hopefully, Colin will take Brad Pitt's cue and at least try to take on risky material).

DavTMcGowan

am i the only one who hasn't jumped on the colin bandwagon here?  what has this guy done that's so amazing?  maybe i missed that movie.

but i thought we were told that this will not be his next movie, so why are we discussing the casting.

that being said:
pitt would've been amazing...now he's an ass.
depp is amazing...when this pic is revived, get johnny depp.

btw...anybody see the inside the actors studio w/ depp, this guys just awesome, and he ended the show by saying that he would be excited to play a woman...not a transvestite or a transexual or anything, just a woman.  anybody else find that a little odd.  i'm trying to write it off as odd in a johnny-depp-is-the-coolest-guy-in-the-world kinda way, but it's a bit hard.

Recce

Well, I mean, I'm not gay or anything, but he is a handsome man. That seems to be enough these days. He was pretty good in Minority report and stuff, although he doesn't vary his characters much.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Ghostboy

That would be so awesome if Depp did that! He's had a little practice I guess, moreso in Before Night Falls than Ed Wood, but I bet he could pass for a hot chick.

Anyway, Colin Farrell has yet to appear in a really good movie (although some people would argue that Minority Report is really good, and I'm almost inclined to agree with them). But I think he's pretty damn talented.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: GhostboyThat would be so awesome if Depp did that! He's had a little practice I guess, moreso in Before Night Falls than Ed Wood, but I bet he could pass for a hot chick.

Anyway, Colin Farrell has yet to appear in a really good movie (although some people would argue that Minority Report is really good, and I'm almost inclined to agree with them). But I think he's pretty damn talented.

Yeah, I dont really like Farrell, I liked Minority Report but didnt think he was that great in it. Id vote for Depp or Adrian... Aronofsky told a story about how he wanted to cast him as Harry, and then he saw him right after he won an oscar and told him "could have been your second" so maybe there is a relationship there and with his new oscar power maybe the movie could get made,.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: GhostboyAnyway, Colin Farrell has yet to appear in a really good movie (although some people would argue that Minority Report is really good, and I'm almost inclined to agree with them)

Did you not like "Tigerland?"

polkablues

Quote from: Pawbloe
Quote from: GhostboyAnyway, Colin Farrell has yet to appear in a really good movie (although some people would argue that Minority Report is really good, and I'm almost inclined to agree with them)

Did you not like "Tigerland?"

Thank you for posting that so I didn't have to.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleuth

Thank you for posting so that I thought there was some news on The Fountain only to be crushed when there was not
I like to hug dogs

modage

Brad Pitt backs out of another movie...

Brad Pitt Says Goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Tuesday, August 5, 2003

After losing leading lady Nicole Kidman a month ago because of scheduling conflicts, Brad Pitt is close to leaving Regency Enterprises' Mr. and Mrs. Smith as well.

Pitt is in Mexico filming Warner Bros. Pictures' Troy until next month. Following that, he would have done "Smith" before segueing to Ocean's Twelve in February, but none of the actresses he had approved of for "Smith" - including Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Angelina Jolie - was available in Pitt's window between projects.

The project isn't dead, however, as other names are being bandied about to replace Pitt, including Will Smith and Johnny Depp. The story centers on a bored married couple who discover that they are enemy assassins hired to kill each other.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

Oh, I thought there was news on the greatest movie that never was.  Thanks, bitch

Christ, twice in a row
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: tremoloslothOh, I thought there was news on the greatest movie that never was.  Thanks, bitch

Christ, twice in a row

i'm starting to see what macguffin was talking about.  posting the news is a thankless job.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jensen Briggs

::throb::

Someone steal the script.  STEAL IT!
fat people use more soap

MacGuffin

Fountain Set and Props Going on the Auction Block
Source: NineMSN

NineMSN reports that a set and props for what would have been writer/director Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain are being auctioned off this week. Brad Pitt dropped out of the project last year to go film Troy instead. Here's a taste of the article:

A 10-story-high Aztec temple built for Brad Pitt and Inca costumes that should have been worn by Cate Blanchett will be auctioned on the Gold Coast this week, ending any hope of resurrecting one of the biggest films ever planned for Australia.

Darren Aronofsky's $US100 million ($A153 million) science fiction adventure The Fountain had begun pre-production on the Gold Coast when Pitt suddenly withdrew from the project a year ago.

However, before The Fountain's collapse producers had spent an estimated $A18 million, some of it building elaborate sets and creating amazing costumes.

Any hope The Fountain could be revived at a later date will be dealt a final blow on Tuesday with the auction.

The centrepiece of the film - a high-rise Aztec temple - is included in 800 movie set lots that will go under the auctioneer's hammer.

Senior auctioneer Andrew Webber said there had been strong interest in the steel and foam temple, which will be sold in pieces but could be rebuilt as a theme park attraction.

"A lot of people who have worked on the set have rung and they want bits and pieces to say this would have been the biggest production movie they were ever going to work on that never got off the ground," Mr Webber said. "A piece of memorabilia that never was."

Other items to be auctioned include 200-year-old Bibles, conquistador saddles, horse armour, animal skeletons and set sketches.

Before its cancellation last year, The Fountain gained national headlines after a report that Pitt had refused to work on the Gold Coast, prompting a tug of war for the film between NSW Premier Bob Carr and Queensland's Peter Beattie.

Cate Blanchett was also to star in the movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

:( .that is the most depressing thing i have read in a while...So i guess The Fountain dried up completely.....damn this sucks all that stuff sounded like the makings of a classic (aronofsky+big budget=masterpiece of unprecedented levels.IMO....but still, having that production stuff being auctioned like that reminds of someone selling everything they own for crack .utterly depressing and sad.....But i am glad to hear of this.. at least so i can finally let go and REALIZE that this(however badass it was/would have been) will not get made.....Now i can concentrate on hoping FLICKER will get made....i read somewhere the premise of the film and it sounded like the perfect project for Aronofsky......