The 25th Hour

Started by ©brad, January 09, 2003, 07:09:49 PM

©brad

Gotten really good reviews, I am siked, big Spike Lee fan.

Anyone seen it yet?

xerxes

haven't seen it yet, but i really want to... its only playing at like one place here... the arclight and that's like $11... soon though.

budgie

Yes, very psyched. What with Ed and Phil and what sounds like a new area for Lee, I am overjoyed that it's getting a special premiere right here in Southampton in a couple of weeks!

MacGuffin

One word: Powerful.

There are scenes that are just mezmerizing (the 'fuck you' scene; teacher and student inside the club). Norton is brilliant, as are all the members of the cast. Although some loose ends aren't wrapped up, the great script/dialogue holds your attention riveted. Lee does at times let some scenes run on a bit longer than they should, but his filmmaking skills shine in this film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Satcho9

WOW. This was (as stated above) powerful. Very well done. I cant get Phillip Seymour Hoffman's expression when he comes out of the bathroom out of my head. The "Fuck You" mirror scene is a classic. I reccomend you see this right away.

Rudie Obias

i liked this movie, it was very entertaining but spike lee hasn't been spike lee since 1992.  the "fuck you" scene was an extention of the "fuck you" scene in DO THE RIGHT THING.  i liked the use of sound in the club scene.  i liked the david fincher style camera moves in the fight scene towards the end.  i loved anna paquin, i wish she would play the lead in a movie soon.  i would love to see her as the star in a film.  i have a major crush on her.  :)

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

xerxes

the 'fuck you' scene was in the original novel... and what's with this spike lee hasn't been spike lee since 1992... '4 little girls'... 'get on the bus'... and thats all i will say

MacGuffin

"Bamboozled" needs mentioning. Always overlooked, but I think is one of Spike's best.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Rudie Obias

yeah i have to agree, BAMBOOZLED is really good.  my favorite spike lee films are DO THE RIGHT THING, MALCOLM X and BAMBOOZLED.  i like how it's shot on DV before anyone really started using it to do feture length films.  all three of these films i mentioned are the most profound from spike lee.

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

RegularKarate

Quote from: MacGuffin"Bamboozled" needs mentioning. Always overlooked, but I think is one of Spike's best.

I really didn't like Bamboozled.  I especially didn't  like his use of DV.  It seemed like he was jumping on the "indie look" bandwagon, there was no need to shoot it on DV because he shot it like he was using film.

And while I understand how the performance was supposed to be over the top, it really bugged me.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: RegularKarateI really didn't like Bamboozled.  I especially didn't  like his use of DV.  It seemed like he was jumping on the "indie look" bandwagon, there was no need to shoot it on DV because he shot it like he was using film.

And while I understand how the performance was supposed to be over the top, it really bugged me.

I liked Bamboozled a lot, but Damon Wayans = nails on chalkboard.

GodDamnImDaMan

Damon Wayans?!?!

We are talking about the same Damon Wayans who was nominated for, "Best schmuck co starring with Dan Akrod" in Celtic pride right?

Wait a minute...

::Creams pants thinking about the 1980's Celtics/Lakers rivalry::
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

xerxes

although i admire 'bamboozled,' i didn't like it too much. it  could have been so much better... and i gotta agree with regularkarate here, i couldn't stand damon wayans in that part.

life_boy

One Spike Lee film I love which hasn't been mentioned here yet is 'Jungle Fever'.  Great film!