Batman Begins

Started by ©brad, February 19, 2003, 01:10:29 PM

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinKatie Holmes Frontrunner for Batman!
Source: Variety

Say it isn't so!

If this does happen, I will still give her a chance.  I'm too big of a Batman fan to pass up a movie just because of the casting. Who knows, she may change my opinion by giving an impressive performance. I can only hope.

MacGuffin

While promoting his latest film - the political thriller ‘The Statement’, Caine talked briefly to Chud.com about his upcoming work in Batman where he is reported to play Alfred - Bruce Wayne's (aka Batman) Butler:

Naturally, the question came up about him taking on Batman next (which Caine quoted as the budget at being "$135 million. It's so nice to be in something like that. I'm usually going around with the guys who say, 'Can you share a car?') and what the appeal was for Caine to step into Michael Gough's shoes as Bruce Wayne's butler. "Batman is being made in England, but it's also being made quite differently," Caine reported. "I had a long conversation with Christopher Nolan before I accepted the part. I only knew him from Memento and I didn't know him personally. Funny enough, he lived near me, so he came around to the house and we had lunch, cups of tea and stuff and he explained to me what he was going to do and what his outlook on Batman was and why he wanted me in it. The short answer was, he wants it to be more natural. He regards - as I did anyway quite coincidentally - I find a lot of these comic book heroes boring because they are invincible. If you're bulletproof, where's the jeopardy for the hero? You can't gas him, you can't kill him, what's the point? And he is making a very, very natural Batman. I remember one phrase he said to me, I said, 'Well, he's very powerful and strong.' And he said, 'Yes, he is Michael, but not because of Kryptonite, it's because he does push-up's." As for whether Caine had known Bale before, Caine replied, "No, I've never met Christian Bale!"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mortensen Up For Batman?

Michael Caine, who will play Alfred the butler in the upcoming new Batman film, told SCI FI Wire that director Christopher Nolan is eyeing Lord of the Rings star Viggo Mortensen to play the villain in the film, which is slated to begin production in April 2004. In an interview, Caine wouldn't specify which villain role Mortensen (Rings' Aragorn) is up for.

Sources told The Hollywood Reporter, meanwhile, that Katie Holmes is close to being cast opposite star Christian Bale as Rachel, the love interest, contingent on a screen test.

Caine said Nolan's Batman script creates a deeper role for Alfred than previous films. "We start when Batman is a baby, so I'm more like a father," Caine said in an interview. "I'm a father who knows how to lay a table with the knives and forks in the right places."

Caine said he spoke with Nolan for three hours about his vision for the film, which included some similarities with and some variations on the previously established Batman canon. "[Nolan] said, 'We're going to have a human hero in Batman. He's powerful because he does pushups. Where does he get all his weapons? Because he's a multibillionaire, and he's in the arms business, so he gets the secret weapons instantly. Why does he wear the bloody suit? To scare the s--t out of people, because he doesn't really want to fight.'"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffin'We're going to have a human hero in Batman. He's powerful because he does pushups. Where does he get all his weapons? Because he's a multibillionaire, and he's in the arms business, so he gets the secret weapons instantly. Why does he wear the bloody suit? To scare the s--t out of people, because he doesn't really want to fight.'"

Right on!  Thats the Batman that has been lacking.

MacGuffin

Cillian Murphy is a Villain in Batman!
Source: Variety

Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later; Girl with a Pearl Earring) has landed the role of one of the Caped Crusader's villains in Warner Bros.' new Batman film. Which villain he would play was not yet announced. The young Irish actor would become the fourth to be cast in the Christopher Nolan-helmed project that stars Christian Bale. He first came to the attention of Nolan after he tested for the role of Batman.

Michael Caine has also joined the cast to play Alfred and the producers are now zeroing in on Katie Holmes to play the female lead subject to a screen test with Nolan.

The film's plot, scripted by David Goyer, is being kept tightly under wraps, but the studio and Nolan are gearing up for a 2004 start date and 2005 release.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

I don't think they are going to use the villians and plot we all think they are going to use.

Gloria

Quote from: Gamblor du JourRockin.

Agreed.  I'm glad they didn't pick an A-list celebrity. This is gonna be cool.

modage

what a weird cast. (if its going to be all non-americans, why bother with katie holmes?)  this had better be a great script for warners letting nolan make all these wild decisions with their precious franchise.  i wonder if cillian will be playing the scarecrow if that rumored cameo/opening is true.  hes skinny and tall.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Raikus

Quote from: themodernage02this had better be a great script for warners letting nolan make all these wild decisions with their precious franchise.
Methinks Batman and Robyn took their Rolls-Royce of a franchise and turned it into a Kia Sophia.

Basically all Nolan has to due is develop it into a gritty SUV to succeed.

Too many automobile analogies?
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Pubrick

without waiting for the trailer/tool-of-the-devil, i just know this is gonna rockkkk.
under the paving stones.

The Idiot

I'm pretty pleased so far with the developments of this film. Do you think its possible it wille be rated R? I hope so. I would like to see a gritty, violent, and very "real" film.
It is said that evil men have no songs. Why is it, then, that the Russians sing songs?

-Friederich Nietchze

MacGuffin

Exclusive Batman: Intimidation Scoop!!
Source: SuperheroHype!

Batman fans, are you ready? We hope you are, because Christopher Nolan's new Batman film is sounding better and better every day.

A Superhero Hype! source has confirmed that filming will take place in Iceland. The Warner Bros. production will shoot there for two weeks. We've got the exclusive scoop for you, but it's definitely spoiler material, so cover your eyes now if you'd rather not know...

Still here? Of course you are. In the scene, Batman, played by Christian Bale, will be fighting on ice with Ra's Al Ghul's #1 pupil (who that is, you'll have to figure out). They won't be fighting for real, however, as it is more of a training exercise.

We're also told by our source that Batman: Intimidation is a cross between Year One and Year Two and that it's interwoven very creatively. So start thinking about which characters appeared in each and you might get an idea. The film is also said to be very story-driven.

Of course you want to hear about the costume. Let's just say that the costume concept the production is using is awesome! Just wait and see...

Skeleton FilmWorks

nix

This all sounds really cool, but let me get one thing straight...

It's called Batman: Intimidation???????
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Pwaybloe

Nah, it's called "Batman: Infinity + 1"

Gloria

Quote from: MacGuffinhimselfoWe're also told by our source that Batman: Intimidation is a cross between Year One and Year Two and that it's interwoven very creatively. So start thinking about which characters appeared in each and you might get an idea. The film is also said to be very story-driven.

I am sooooo excited for this.  It's like they were listening to my prayers......Year One was awesome and I can't wait to see what they do with it.