The Incredible Hulk

Started by ©brad, January 27, 2003, 12:09:10 PM

modage

just got my tix for thursday at midnite, i am pumped.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi think it will be pretty good...the cgi hulk is CHEESY though(imo)

So does the CGI in general look cheesey or just the way he looks in CGI looks cheesey? Im not a fan of CGI, but I am pretty impressed, better than a bodybuilder, but they still shoulda waited a bit longer

The idea of making the hulk character "fake" is cheesy to me.  Why not just make the whole film animated?!  It looks really bad also that  he is the size of godzilla :roll:-.  imo it would have been better to make it w/o a cgi hulk.  i am a fan of lee(i.e. The Ice Storm)  so...i think he can pull this off effectively(pretty good film) also you are right they should have waited.

Derek

Quote from: NEON MERCURY
Quote from: Duck Sauce
Quote from: NEON MERCURYi think it will be pretty good...the cgi hulk is CHEESY though(imo)

So does the CGI in general look cheesey or just the way he looks in CGI looks cheesey? Im not a fan of CGI, but I am pretty impressed, better than a bodybuilder, but they still shoulda waited a bit longer

The idea of making the hulk character "fake" is cheesy to me.  Why not just make the whole film animated?!  It looks really bad also that  he is the size of godzilla :roll:-.  imo it would have been better to make it w/o a cgi hulk.  i am a fan of lee(i.e. The Ice Storm)  so...i think he can pull this off effectively(pretty good film) also you are right they should have waited.

No way. Don't judge what you see on tv. The big screen tends to be very forgiving to cgi. BTW, I think the Hulk looks fantastic.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Derek

I just wanted to bring this thread back into the mix.

Anybody have anything they'd like to say about it?

Anybody?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Banky

I heard there was an anal sex scene between CG Hulk and Nick Nolte.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: BankyEdwardsI heard there was an anal sex scene between CG Hulk and Nick Nolte.

that would explain nolte being on roofies when he was busted in malbu

©brad

Quote from: BankyEdwardsI heard there was an anal sex scene between CG Hulk and Nick Nolte.

u wish. if ur avatar wasn't so hot i'd cut u.

Ghostboy

I just got back from seeing it! It was good but not great, but I'd still very highly recommend it, because the style Ang Lee uses here is pretty awesome. First of all, the script isn't anything deep or grand...it's a comic book movie. There's a little bit of that Greek Tragedy element, but not much (and it ends up being the lamest part of the movie, honestly). Blade 2 did the whole Greek Tragedy thing a million times better than this. The actors all do good work, but only because they don't second guess the material.

Now, what makes the movie is the style. Because of the way Lee's approached the story, the shallowness of the script actually works. If you've read any of the original Hulk comics...that's what this is. It's a 1960s horror/sci-fi comic come to life, literally (and I wish they'd have gone all the way and set it in the sixties, too). The best part of the movie is the way it's edited...you really have no idea how well the 'panelling' editing style works. It's fantastic, and it immediately gets you in the right mood (it also helps the hour or so of exposition at the beginning of the movie whip by). Furthermore, the special effects are great. They really don't look any different than what you've already seen on your TV screen, but in the context of the movie, its clear that Lee made a definite stylistic choice in his representation of this character, and it works incredibly well. The close-ups of the Hulk's face are all very good, and surprisingly, he looks the most realistic in the desert scenes. That desert chase...man, it's a blast. The sound design in that sequence is terrific.

There's a point where it seems certain that the movie will end, complete with a perfect 'To Be Continued' moment. Unfortunately, it does continue, and from that point on the movie is just dumb and awkward. But aside from that, I'd say you'll get your money's worth.

Cecil

Quote from: GhostboyI just got back from seeing it!

stickin it!!

Sal

Quote from: GhostboyI just got back from seeing it! It was good but not great, but I'd still very highly recommend it, because the style Ang Lee uses here is pretty awesome. First of all, the script isn't anything deep or grand...it's a comic book movie. There's a little bit of that Greek Tragedy element, but not much (and it ends up being the lamest part of the movie, honestly). Blade 2 did the whole Greek Tragedy thing a million times better than this. The actors all do good work, but only because they don't second guess the material.

Now, what makes the movie is the style. Because of the way Lee's approached the story, the shallowness of the script actually works. If you've read any of the original Hulk comics...that's what this is. It's a 1960s horror/sci-fi comic come to life, literally (and I wish they'd have gone all the way and set it in the sixties, too). The best part of the movie is the way it's edited...you really have no idea how well the 'panelling' editing style works. It's fantastic, and it immediately gets you in the right mood (it also helps the hour or so of exposition at the beginning of the movie whip by). Furthermore, the special effects are great. They really don't look any different than what you've already seen on your TV screen, but in the context of the movie, its clear that Lee made a definite stylistic choice in his representation of this character, and it works incredibly well. The close-ups of the Hulk's face are all very good, and surprisingly, he looks the most realistic in the desert scenes. That desert chase...man, it's a blast. The sound design in that sequence is terrific.

There's a point where it seems certain that the movie will end, complete with a perfect 'To Be Continued' moment. Unfortunately, it does continue, and from that point on the movie is just dumb and awkward. But aside from that, I'd say you'll get your money's worth.

Largely, I felt the same way about the script.  If it werent for the stylistic choices on the parts of Lee and his designers, it would have made for a much less compelling movie.  It was barely compelling on its own; the aural and visual aesthetics are what really kept things going.  That and the constant undertone of anger really kept things alive.  

*BIG FAT SPOILER THAT RUINED MACGUFFIN'S NOT WANTING TO KNOW ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE ENDING*

Id have to disagree about the ending though.  I thought it was the most interesting thing done.  When Nolte goes nuts-- from that point on I thought the movie pushed above and beyond the call of duty, and it really hit the tragedy of it home.  I also liked the visual allusion to Atlas when Hulk was in the lab, lifting that thing onto his shoulders.

Banky

Quote from: ©brad

u wish. if ur avatar wasn't so hot i'd cut u.

What the fuck does that id cut you shit mean?  Dosent anyone have a sense of humor anymore.  But thanks i know my avatar is the shit.  Hey, you know the writing above the avatar that says things like extra, screenwriter......, how can you write personalized things?

sphinx

titles are changed by admins if you are preferrable to us or you're an admin.

Sleuth

You have to earn yours just like I did
I like to hug dogs

Banky

RegularKarate

It just happens.

I was close to giving you one for those fucking AVs.  My god, they're distracting.