Movies set during Christmas (that aren't Christmas movies)

Started by Gamblour., December 03, 2004, 10:05:53 PM

ono

modage

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.
Quote from: BethieWhy does it matter?

Oh good lord. Why do list compilations matter? Why does the regular Christmas Movies thread matter? These are films that I would rather watch than Christmas movies. They eschew the cheesiness and still put me in the holiday mood. It's a movie thread on xixax, get over it.

And these are great movies we've got so far, keep em coming.
i guess this explanation helps to explain why we are thinking of movie set at christmas that arent christmas movies.  in your original post "COMPILE A LIST" doesnt explain for what purpose we would be doing so and thus seems odd and pointless.  but if we are helping compile a list of stuff for you to watch, the thread is given a reason to exist.  the christmas movies thread matters because i say it does.  

Reindeer Games
Gremlins
Die Hard II
The Apartment
The Ref
While You Were Sleeping
Reindeer Games
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

GoneSavage

Jack Frost (the comedy/horror)
Black Christmas
Silent Night, Deadly Night

Ravi

Didn't part of Boogie Nights take place at Christmastime?  It's been a while since I've seen it.  True Lies also, IIRC.

ono

Quote from: RaviDidn't part of Boogie Nights take place at Christmastime?
The donuts were for the Christmas, yes.

Also, there's this movie from a couple years back... starred that guy from Gigli, another guy from Forrest Gump, and some chick who made herself ugly to win an Oscar.  Can't seem to remember her name, or what the hell the movie was called.  Any ideas?

Myxo

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: wantautopia?
Also, there's this movie from a couple years back... starred that guy from Gigli, another guy from Forrest Gump, and some chick who made herself ugly to win an Oscar.  Can't seem to remember her name, or what the hell the movie was called.  Any ideas?

You idiot, Magnolia wasn't set during Christmas.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

ono

But the frogs were green and red!  ...after they hit the pavement ... which reminds me, what's red and green and goes really really fast?  A frog in a blender.

The Perineum Falcon

We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cowboykurtis

...your excuses are your own...

cine

DVDVerdict.com must visit Xixax. This is on their front page:

"Happy Christmas Eve, everyone! As we celebrate with a day full of Christmas reviews, we're highlighting a particular theme of Christmas reviews from our archives. What's the theme? Shall we say...inappropriate Christmas movies -- action and horror flicks that just happen to take place at Christmas. Let the season be merry and bright...with explosions!"

• Batman Returns
• Behind Enemy Lines
• Breakaway
• Cast Away
• Deep Cover
• Die Hard: Five Star Collection
• Die Hard 2: Special Edition
• Enemy Of The State
• Gremlins: Special Edition
• High Crimes
• L.A. Confidential
• Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut
• Reindeer Games
• Silent Night, Deadly Night / Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 2
• Trapped In Paradise
• The World Is Not Enough

Jeremy Blackman

They forgot
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSpring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

cine

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanThey forgot
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSpring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring

Quote from: dvdverdictaction and horror flicks
:saywhat:

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinephile• Lethal Weapon: Director's Cut
:yabbse-huh:

It's not like Richard Donner added the Christmas element to his cut.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks