put your Gondry right here.

Started by picolas, April 18, 2004, 01:23:38 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

very cool... he knows that stuff better than anyone, for sure.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Before he took his wild imagination to the big screen with "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," French director Michel Gondry was best known for his frequent collaborations with Björk, perhaps most memorably on the video for her song "Human Behaviour." Now the two are at it again. Gondry revealed to MTV News that a month from now, he will be directing the music video for "Declare Independence," from the Icelandic singer's latest album, Volta.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

well, that was boring and repetitive.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on December 08, 2007, 06:44:29 PM
well, that was boring and repetitive.

yep.

i thought the same thing and blamed it on watching it at 2am right before i went to bed. now i'm awake (i think) and it's still the same if not worse. poor gondry, poor bjork, they really fucked it up. at least she doesn't look really old like in earth intruders.

oh, can't wait for the defenders. "i like the minimalism/other fucking meaningless buzzword". none of his other videos needed justification. there is an idea here, that's not debatable, the problem is that it goes nowhere. it's lame by any standard.

it's like he had to make it on the cheap with practical effects. this should hav been epic.
under the paving stones.

brockly

only just saw this. it was alright. i definately liked it more after watching the making of, didnt even get wat gondry was trying to do wen i first saw it. p's right tho, this should have been epic, on a bachelorette scale. this is their long awaited collaberation after, wat, a decade? meh.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

If you skip ahead a lot and skim through the video, it's pretty cool.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

aside from it being relatively static and not as 'epic' as we might have liked to see... did anybody else think it was making a fucked up argument?

the video didn't develop any of its symbols in a way that said anything about independence from the mechanism that was making people zombies... they just became more festive zombies.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

modage

ATTN: NYC

indieWIRE continues its monthly series with Apple Store - SoHo that presents indie film professionals discussing various aspects of the filmmaking process.

WHEN: Friday, January 11th, 7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m
WHERE: Apple Store - SoHo, 103 Prince Street, NYC
COST: Free, No RSVP required. Seats are first come, first serve. Seating is limited.

Filmmaker Michel Gondry will participate in a discussion and show scenes from his latest film, "Be Kind Rewind," which stars Jack Black and Mos Def. When a man whose body accidentally becomes magnetized unintentionally erases every tape in his friend's video store, the pair set out to remake the lost films, including "Back To The Future" and "The Lion King". New Line Cinema will release the film in theaters in January 2008. The event will be moderated by indieWIRE Editor in Chief Eugene Hernandez.

i'm not going though cause this movie will suck and i already saw him there.  but maybe someone else is interested?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Gondry guest edits YouTube
Source: Mark Sweney; guardian.co.uk

YouTube has appointed Michel Gondry, the director of movies including Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Science of Sleep as well as music videos for acts such as The White Stripes, Radiohead and Bjork, as a guest editor.

Gondry, who is curating YouTube.com during the Sundance Film Festival, will follow in the footsteps of Oprah Winfrey and musician and director Rob Zombie in guest-editing the homepage of the Google-owned video-sharing website.

The French film director will choose his favourite YouTube clips to showcase during the week-long film festival.

in a typically quirky clip that features him pretending to pick his nose.

On the official YouTube blog, the company said that he will "programme a festival of sorts right here on YouTube".

With 233 million unique users visiting YouTube.com in November, according to web measurement firm ComScore, the decision to bring in a guest editor is no trivial matter for the world's biggest video-sharing website.

Guest editing has become fashionable in old and new media in recent years.

Vint Cerf, chief evangelist at Google, was one of a number of guest editors to take the reins at the Guardian's Monday MediaGuardian supplement towards the end of last year.

Bob Geldof guest edited an issue of Germany's biggest-selling daily newspaper, Bild, in June last year. He replaced the tabloid's usual saucy front page with a picture of an emaciated African child.

Bono guest edited the Independent on May 16 last year, while Giorgio Armani was guest designer, resulting in a sales rise of around 70,000 copies.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

25 of Michel Gondry's Favorite Videos
The French-born director of acclaimed offbeat movies has also directed numerous groundbreaking videos for Bjork, the White Stripes, and more. Here, he offers his picks of the best videos of the past 25 years
Source: EW

''Billie Jean'', Michael Jackson (1983)
''Sledgehammer'', Peter Gabriel (1986)
''Give It Away'', Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)
''Sabotage'', Beastie Boys (1994)
''It's Oh So Quiet'', Björk (1995)
''Rockit'', Herbie Hancock (1983)
''Individual Choice'', Jean-Luc Ponty (1983)
''Burning Down the House'', Talking Heads (1983)
''Un Autre Monde'', Téléphone (1984)
''Close to Me'', The Cure (1985)
''Perfect Kiss'', New Order (1985)
''Fight for Your Right to Party'', Beastie Boys (1986)
''Walk this Way'', Run DMC featuring Aerosmith (1986)
''You Can Call Me Al'', Paul Simon (1986)
''Leave Me Alone'', Michael Jackson (1987)
''Like a Prayer'', Madonna (1989)
''Wild Thing'', Tone Loc (1989)
''Bust a Move'', Young MC (1989)
''Unfinished Sympathy'', Massive Attack (1991)
''Are You Gonna Go My Way?'', Lenny Kravitz (1993)
''Virtual Insanity'', Jamiroquai (1996)
''Drop'', The Pharcyde (1996)
''Come to Daddy'', Aphex Twin (1997)
''A Ribbon'', Devendra Banhart (2004)
''Trapped in the Closet'', R. Kelly (2005)

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

private witt

"If you work in marketing or advertising, kill yourself.  You contribute nothing of value to the human race, just do us all a favor and end your fucking life."  ~Bill Hicks