Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Ravi on November 19, 2006, 04:09:04 PM
The cover of STPP was pretty literal but that was the original poster design so I didn't mind.

I like my cover of Bicycle Thieves better.

...gold.

Quote from: modage on November 19, 2006, 05:12:38 PM
Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on November 19, 2006, 04:34:38 PM
It annoys me how the 'C' in Bicycle Thieves in inside the 'B' from Bicycle.
yes, big time.  i dont mind the C in general, but the placement on that cover is annoying.

& me too.

Gold Trumpet

Continuing the role of accountant for the cinema fan in everyone, this news is quite stunning. It is an email from Criterion sent to someone inquiring about Breathless.

"Dear Edgar,

We do in fact hold the rights to release Breathless. While the film is not on our current release schedule, we hope to have a finished product available some time next year.

I hope this helps, and please feel free to contact us with any future questions or concerns.

Best,

Matt Lipson
The Criterion Collection"

nix

If these past few pieces of news aren't motivation enough for me to get a job then I guess it's never gonna happen.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Rudie Obias

what does the "white ring" mean on out of print criterion dvds?  is it on all out of print criterion dvds?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

matt35mm

How long is that "C" gonna be on the XIXAX banner at the top?

Pubrick

as long as anyone here still thinks it's not awkard at all.
under the paving stones.

Ravi

Quote from: rudiecorexxx on November 28, 2006, 10:46:04 PM
what does the "white ring" mean on out of print criterion dvds?  is it on all out of print criterion dvds?

OOPs- Getting the real thing

You'd be better off waiting for SEs/anamorphic transfers or buying a better quality in a different region (if it exists) for most of the OOP titles.  Spinal Tap had a commentary that I really want to hear, though.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Ravi on November 29, 2006, 02:41:06 PM
Quote from: rudiecorexxx on November 28, 2006, 10:46:04 PM

OOPs- Getting the real thing

You'd be better off waiting for SEs/anamorphic transfers or buying a better quality in a different region (if it exists) for most of the OOP titles.  Spinal Tap had a commentary that I really want to hear, though.

i was gonna offer to give you an mp3 of it b/c i'm bored and have nothing better to do than rip criterion dvd's and make mp3's of them, but i lost the disc. whoops.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ravi

Quote from: bonanzataz on December 07, 2006, 05:35:02 PM
i was gonna offer to give you an mp3 of it b/c i'm bored and have nothing better to do than rip criterion dvd's and make mp3's of them

:yabbse-smiley:

Quotebut i lost the disc. whoops.

:yabbse-angry:

modage

from the blog...

Well, it's not exactly writer's block, but it's related. I've been trying to get this blog entry posted since Tuesday afternoon, but there's always something that takes me away from the task at hand. I'm procrastinating, and I know why: It's really kind of a momentous occasion. We are launching a new line. The news will be official on Friday when we ship out PDFs of the first sell sheets for Series 1: Early Bergman. For the past couple of days, we've been ironing out the last details of the packaging and finalizing the twenty-six words that will appear on the back of every cover: "Eclipse presents a selection of lost, forgotten, or overshadowed films in simple, affordable editions. Each series is a brief cinematheque retrospective for the adventurous home viewer."

There's something perilous about writing mission statements. Jon mentioned the famous one from Kane in an earlier blog. That one comes up in conversation a lot. It's hard to walk the line between idealism and practicality, but that is exactly what we are trying to do with this new line. We're nine years into the DVD market, and there are still hundreds of important films that can only be seen in old VHS versions or, if you're lucky enough to live in a town with a good repertory theater, a new print might come around once every ten years or so.

We want those films to be more readily available, and that's why we're creating Eclipse. Each month we'll present a short series, usually three to five films, focusing on a particular director or theme. There will be no supplements and the master materials will be the best we can find, but they won't be full Criterion restorations. Retail pricing for each set will average under $15 per disc, and we are examining the logistics of making the sets available at an even more favorable rate on a subscriber or club basis. The goal here is to make these films available, to make sure that Criterion's own work style doesn't contribute to the continuing unavailability of these films. Once our producers and restoration crew get started on a Criterion edition, the project takes on a life of its own. Months later, with a little luck, we'll have something really special to show for it, but at that rate we can't make a dent in the number of important unreleased films that we'd like people to be able to see.

The early films of Ingmar Bergman, the documentaries of Louis Malle—these are extraordinary and important films that are very hard to find outside the revival-house circuit. At the moment, you'll find more Mizoguchis in theaters (thanks to a traveling retrospective) than in the video store, and that's certainly also true for Naruse, Ozu, and Imamura. While Criterion is working on new special editions of individual pictures by all of these filmmakers, at a rate of maybe one or two a year, we'll never be able to represent the breadth of their bodies of work. Eclipse will help to fill that gap.

And then there will be discoveries. When you work at Criterion, everyone introduces you to films you've never seen, many of which have never been released in the United States It's surprising how many films of extraordinary quality have never been seen here. (If you don't believe it, just check out the New York Film Critics' Circle awards, where Army of Shadows, a 1969 film, was selected as best foreign film of 2006. Congratulations to our friends at Rialto on doing a spectacular job bringing this film out from the shadows!) We're looking forward to introducing quite a few new filmmakers to U.S. audiences, starting with Raymond Bernard whose 1935 Les miserables is the best version of Victor Hugo's novel ever brought to the screen, and it deserves to be seen alongside his antiwar masterpiece, Wooden Crosses.

Okay I'm going to post this now before I start tinkering with the mission language again.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Chest Rockwell

Love it. I'm not even gonna bother to bring up the C.

gob

A Matter Of Chance

GT I got another one for you: can we count on 'Pierrot le Fou', 'Two or Three Things I know about her', or 'La Chinoise' anytime soon? After that 'Breathless talk...

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance on January 14, 2007, 05:58:00 PM
GT I got another one for you: can we count on 'Pierrot le Fou', 'Two or Three Things I know about her', or 'La Chinoise' anytime soon? After that 'Breathless talk...

Considering the madness in which Godard gets his releases: First, the movie gets the rerelease (Rialto), tours the country and then 9 months later, gets Criterion DVD treatment. There has only been one Godard that was released that was an exception. As it stands now, only Two or Three Things I Know About Her has been released by Rialto (it is currently going around the country) so expect a DVD sometime late this year or early next year. There has been talk about Pierrot le Fou, but it has been going on forever and nothing has come about yet. I think that is more hopeful commentary. La Chinoise is the one that does not register on any timetable.