Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

mogwai

exactly. i was wondering if there is a single disc version released. or there already is because people like me need to ask. :yabbse-sad:

Pwaybloe

edison

Holy Hell!!!! I just creamed my pants

tpfkabi

they kept that one pretty much the same.

are there any new features on Playtime?

i paid a high price on eBay to get it 2 or 3 years ago.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

edison

My excitement about Playtime was just kicked in the nads

Playtime special features
- Spectacular digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced for 16x9 televisions
- Video introduction by writer, director and performer Terry Jones
- Cours du Soir, a 1967 short written by and starring Jacques Tati
- New and improved English subtitle translation

Same stuff, which really sucks, I guess there is not a whole lot of extra stuff about Tati. Could be saving most of it for the Traffic release at some point but it really does blow when every other re-release gets the 2-3 disc treatment.

Oh yeah, and if you go to the criterion website (http://criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=4) you will see that they accidently placed information about Heat and Dust, http://imdb.com/title/tt0084058/ , weird.

Ravi

On the first Criterion DVD of Play Time the video was cropped on all sides.  I bet this disc will correct that.

http://dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/playtiime.htm

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: edison on June 16, 2006, 12:33:38 AM

I figured those details were off.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer

Video introduction by writer, director, and performer Terry Jones

Selected scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp

Au-delà de "Playtime," a short documentary featuring archival behind-the-scenes footage from the set

Tati Story, a short biographical film about Tati

"Jacques Tati in Monsieur Hulot's Work," a 1976 BBC Omnibus program featuring Tati

Rare audio interview with Tati from the U.S. debut of Playtime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival

Video interview with script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot

Cours du soir, a 1967 short film written by and starring Tati

Alternate international soundtrack

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

edison

and thats why one always has to wait until criterion updates their site before one opens their big fat mouth.....awesome specs, can't wait

samsong

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 16, 2006, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: edison on June 16, 2006, 12:33:38 AM

I figured those details were off.

SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES

All-new, restored high-definition digital transfer

Video introduction by writer, director, and performer Terry Jones

Selected scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp

Au-delà de "Playtime," a short documentary featuring archival behind-the-scenes footage from the set

Tati Story, a short biographical film about Tati

"Jacques Tati in Monsieur Hulot's Work," a 1976 BBC Omnibus program featuring Tati

Rare audio interview with Tati from the U.S. debut of Playtime at the 1972 San Francisco International Film Festival

Video interview with script supervisor Sylvette Baudrot

Cours du soir, a 1967 short film written by and starring Tati

Alternate international soundtrack

New and improved English subtitle translation

PLUS: A new essay by Jonathan Rosenbaum

YES.

tpfkabi

from now on i'm going to have to stay away from barebones Criterions if they've been out a while
[see Amarcord re-release]

i think i'm going to have to buy this new Playtime edition though.

we need a Criterion review thread (unless i'm looking over one). we have this thread that builds up all the anticipation and then no one says what they think about it.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on June 17, 2006, 10:46:24 PM
we need a Criterion review thread (unless i'm looking over one). we have this thread that builds up all the anticipation and then no one says what they think about it.

A few reviews have been posted on this thread so I don't know if another thread is really necessary. If you want, I could follow the output of reviews with every new release and post links on this thread for everyone.

tpfkabi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 17, 2006, 11:42:18 PM
Quote from: bigideas on June 17, 2006, 10:46:24 PM

A few reviews have been posted on this thread so I don't know if another thread is really necessary. If you want, I could follow the output of reviews with every new release and post links on this thread for everyone.

that seems like it would be a lot of work, but if you want to do it that would be cool.

what did everyone who bought the Shoot the Piano Player release think?
i have the Fox Lorber and love the film, i just haven't gotten around to getting it.

Gold Trumpet

Big Ideas,

Ignore the Fox Lorber DVD. They were excellent for putting out the movies but notorious for their mediocre quality. The only major film they did release that stands as having a good look is Godard's My Life to Live.

But, the big news is The Double Life of Veronique will be released by Criterion. Someone sent a question to JM on Kieslowski and got this reply:

"We are actually currently working on a Double Life of Veronique release. As a lot of work still needs to be done, we do not currently have and estimated release date. If you check the "Coming Soon" page on our website you can see planned future release dates once they have been determined. I have provided a link to this page below."

w/o horse

My main incentive towards purchasing a Region 2 player just became my most anticipated dvd of the year.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.