Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I hope they at least keep the criterion collection insignia down the spine.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Gold Trumpet

Randon news and rumors from the world of Criterion. Don't miss anything.

-The announcement in the June newsletter is: "Criterion Couture Coming Soon" A few other DVD companies have released apparrel so it looks like Criterion will also get into the game. Hope for Director/Film apparrel besides just general Criterion logo threads.

-USA Today recently reported that Stuart Cooper's cult hit Overlord will be released by Criterion in 2007.

-Clean, Shaven(1994) will be released by Criterion in the new future. It continues the 90s American Indie focus that Criterion has been doing for the last year. The director is Lodge H. Kerrigan, who directed Keane last year, one of the best films of 2005.

-With a Rialto release this past April, expect the Criterion DVD of Army of Shadows in 2007. Rialto theatrical releases usually take 8-9 months for a transition to Criterion release.

-Also, expect the release of Fanfan la Tulip in 2007 as well. Rialto will begin showing the film in July.

- Criteriondvd.com is reporting that Criterion will reissue Amarcord, The Third Man, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and Seven Samurai before the end of the years. That news is astounding because it is so many reissues for a short period of time and also focuses on titles (like The Third Man) that many feel have no reason to be re-done. This news item could also be false as it is known all these titles were first rumored on criterionforum.org and then appeared on criteriondvd.com right after. Was criteriondvd.com using rumors as a news item or just confirming the rumors? Who knows. Seven Samurai, Sanjuro and Yojimbo were confirmed for re-issue earlier in the year though.

- Expect The Spirit of the Beehive to be released before the end of the year.

- A source also reports that Criterion is working on Maysle's doc Meeting Marlon Brando currently.

That's all.

tpfkabi

so there are no new prints, new extras or anything, they're just reissuing the titles?

i just bought Amarcord earlier this year. :yabbse-sad:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

w/o horse

Coming soon to Blu Ray and HD and perspective on the quantity of reissues versus the ability to see the movies.

I have a knack, an inborn, blessed be talent to purchase titles soon to be reissued.  I savor the fallen dollars.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: bigideas on June 10, 2006, 10:37:29 PM
so there are no new prints, new extras or anything, they're just reissuing the titles?

i just bought Amarcord earlier this year. :yabbse-sad:

Sorry. Let me clarify that re-issue means new print, new extras and new everything. Seven Samurai has already been confirmed to be a 2 disc set.

mogwai

brazil... yay! is it in 16x9 anamorphic this time then? or is it in george lucas letterbox?

hedwig

i prefer the old Amarcord cover. the kids ruin the new one.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm digging the new Seven Samurai cover.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Quote from: Walrus on June 14, 2006, 12:25:26 PM
I'm digging the new Seven Samurai cover.
when you say this i picture you as pierre delacroix.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: mogwai on June 14, 2006, 11:47:10 AM
brazil... yay! is it in 16x9 anamorphic this time then? or is it in george lucas letterbox?

Is anyone else going to just buy that 1-disc Brazil and leave the other 2 non-anamorphic discs alone?

mogwai

Quote from: becksparrow on June 14, 2006, 01:33:43 PMIs anyone else going to just buy that 1-disc Brazil and leave the other 2 non-anamorphic discs alone?
what?

modage

yay, finally i will buy seven samurai.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Quote from: mogwai on June 14, 2006, 02:07:45 PM
Quote from: becksparrow on June 14, 2006, 01:33:43 PMIs anyone else going to just buy that 1-disc Brazil and leave the other 2 non-anamorphic discs alone?
what?

He means for those who already have the box set

Pwaybloe