Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Find Your Magali

Well, the re-releases are discouraging, but I'm looking forward to Harlan County USA

SoNowThen

Just a bit of a warning to all you blind buyers out there: Elevator To The Gallows has one, count 'em, ONE decent feature to it, and that's the Miles Davis score (which you can buy on its own). This is a very mediocre movie.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Astrostic

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=22186

I know this has been all but confirmed by now, but just thought I would drop this in.

[concerning a conversation between Harry Knowles and Richard Linklater]

"He's also told me that FAST FOOD NATION is coming along great and at the same time he's working on the script for his next project - along with a Criterion Edition of DAZED & CONFUSED!!! That's the shit right there!"

john

Elevator to the Gallows, Harlan County U.S.A.....great, great.....but what I want to know is this:

Why the fuck can I no longer get a deal on ANY Criterion title on amazon any more? They used to discount pretty good on pre-orders, new releases, and even the good selling catalogue stuff....now every Criterion disc is hiked up to list price.

I'm glad I got my Virgin Spring order in on the cheap....but, goddamn, this shit is gonna hurt if they keep it up.

Is it because Criterion is switching/switched hands?

Is it transisitory?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: john on January 18, 2006, 11:39:24 PM
Elevator to the Gallows, Harlan County U.S.A.....great, great.....but what I want to know is this:

Why the fuck can I no longer get a deal on ANY Criterion title on amazon any more? They used to discount pretty good on pre-orders, new releases, and even the good selling catalogue stuff....now every Criterion disc is hiked up to list price.

I'm glad I got my Virgin Spring order in on the cheap....but, goddamn, this shit is gonna hurt if they keep it up.

Is it because Criterion is switching/switched hands?

Is it transisitory?

Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller?

Criterion noticed your pain......

"A number of Criterion collectors who shop at Amazon.com have written in to let us know that Amazon is not currently offering its regular discount on Criterion Collection discs. We have no control over Amazon's pricing, but we do encourage customers to shop around, because there are plenty of good deals out there. Tower Records is offering 10 to 25 percent off most Criterion titles, and you'll find discounts of up to 30 percent on selected titles at Barnes&Noble.com. CriterionDVD.com is an entire online store dedicated to Criterion discs, with most priced at 25 to 28 percent off SRP. At DVDpricesearch.com, you can quickly compare prices and shipping rates at a number of leading online retailers, and one store that consistently stands out for great prices is DVD Planet, where the entire Criterion catalog is 35 percent off and shipping is free on orders over $25.

We recognize that Criterion discs are a significant investment, and we're determined to do what we can to help our customers build their collections. If you find a retailer you think is doing an especially good job supporting Criterion customers, please don't hesitate to let us know, so we can spread the word."

www.criterionco.com

samsong

Alethia

Ravi

modage

oh didnt i tell you guys?  i'm a designer at criterion now.  (just kidding, but man.  that would be a dream, right?)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Fernando

Quote from: modage on February 02, 2006, 08:30:44 AM
(just kidding, but man.  that would be a dream, right?)

But then you spoilatar them all!

Unless you make deka-like caps of them.

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on February 02, 2006, 11:44:41 AM
Unless you make deka-like caps of them.
then he'd Close-Uptar them all.. :yabbse-sad:
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

MAY:

Viridiana
Late Spring
À nos amours
Harlan County USA
Grey Gardens 2-disc

Yep, I know. If June is to continue this bad trend it will be just two unannounced films plus two titles here. God forbid any Criterion title be released on schedule anymore.

w/o horse

Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee