Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

edison

I had high expectations going in this interview, first i thought it was going to be the whole hour, and second i thought it was going to focus more on KB, not his past, and the footage they did show of him on set was PF stuff, i want some KB BTS.

Banky

www.killbill.com

check out all the new shit.  Make sure and see the bootleg trailer

Finn

I expected ABC to have a much longer interview with him than what we got. but I guess people would rather hear jewel than quentin! :roll:
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gloria

Quotewww.killbill.com

Not to be nit-picky or anything but the real site is at http://www.kill-bill.com.  The other link takes you to some monosomething site.

And I agree that the interview was quite a rip off. But I guess we have to wait til he makes the talk show interviews closer to the Kill Bill release date.  Plug-away time is near.

Ghostboy

Potentially old news, but...I just got the press screening pass (won't be able to go, though) and it says that the damn thing is only 93 minutes! Motherfuckers. I want my three hour Tarantino epic back!

ono

Ugh, that's not good news.  A three-hour Tarantino pic would be a dream come true.

I'm sitting here, though, wondering to myself why this film still "is not yet rated."  He says it's one of the goriest things ever.  It could test the bounds of the R rating, or (something Miramax would probably never do so I don't even know why I mention it), it could go out as NC-17 if it's deserving.  But I don't think the chances of that are too good.  Still, like I said, it's odd there's no rating yet.

edison

Ghostboy, GIMMIE YOUR PASS!!!!!!!! why cant you go?

pete

well I've mentioned this before, but the gory version I saw at the test screening felt long enough at the actual half-length.  After that climatic battle you really do need to take a break.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

The gorgeous blonde bombshell Uma Thurman is a mother, an in demand actress, and one of the most natural beauties around. Now she's starring in an ultra-violent, slightly camp tribute too all things B-grade kung fu in Tarantino's "Kill Bill" epic and in a recent interview with Time Magazine she talked quite extensively about her prepartion for the part whilst the article itself revealed some quite interesting details.

*READ FURTHER AT OWN RISK - MINOR STORY SPOILERS*

For example, despite its length don't expect much in the way of subplots in the film - "Whereas Pulp Fiction has three plots, Kill Bill barely has one; Tarantino created no layered subplots, no pathos and no circus of pop references to ground his movie in reality". The first scene Uma shot (just three months after she gave birth) had her stabbing a woman in front of her four-year-old child, whilst combat wise she had to learn "Three styles of kung fu, two styles of sword fighting, knife throwing, knife fighting, hand-to-hand combat, Japanese speaking. It was literally absurd". The finale sequence which has Uma fighting Lucy Liu & 88 Yakuza (the scene in all the trailers) lasts 20-minutes onscreen but took eight weeks to shoot. The writer has also seemed to have seen the film and comments on the performance: "Even though the reasons for the Bride's revenge spree are well set up, there are moments when Thurman portrays her as a beast who has tasted blood and might like more. Certainly there are also plenty of scenes in which Thurman seems to be holding herself together by the memory thread of her murdered child. Overall, it's a rich, nuanced performance in a movie that has lots of visual candy but no other source of depth".

More here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

the NC-17 rating would be okay with me, but it might not be too good for the box office
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Cecil

for making us pay twice to see the movie, the least they can do is release it uncut (or at least have some uncut prints for whoever would play them)

modage

Quote from: Sydneythe NC-17 rating would be okay with me, but it might not be too good for the box office

keep dreaming.  would never happen.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

picolas

from Aicn:
Hey folks, Harry here with a reaction from a film geek that got to see KILL BILL VOL 1 last night in Beverly... Hills that is...
Hola Harry,

Hope this gets your attention. Last night, I was fortunate enough to attend a press screening of Kill Bill Vol 1 in Beverly Hills. And rather than give anything away, as that would be just plain sacrilege, I will share some of the comments made afterward by myself and the friend who took me:

- "What are you doing the rest of the week?" "Masturbating thinking about this movie."

- "Hey, remember when God said, 'And let there be light?' This was better."

- "It's almost like Tarantino *has* to wait six years between every movie, because that's about how long it'll take before the talk begins to die down from this one."

- "I'm glad I'm not reviewing this, because you could pull out every superlative in the book, and it wouldn't do it justice."

- "For the first time in my life, I feel like I know what it must have been like to see Star Wars in 1977."

SHIT!

from Ananova.com (spoilers):
Hot reviews for Tarantino's Kill Bill

Quentin Tarantino's new film Kill Bill has been getting rave reviews ahead of its hotly anticipated release.

Total Film gives Kill Bill, Tarantino's first film since 1997's Jackie Brown, five out of five and declares it a Tarantino masterpiece.

The review concludes: "So good it deserves mention in the same breath as Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction."

More plaudits come from Empire Magazine, which gives it four out of five and also praised its "sly visual wit".

The review, published in next month's issue, also praises Uma Thurman's performance and urges filmlovers to "just sit back and enjoy the splatter".

The critics are divided on the decision to split the film into two. The first instalment hits cinemas on October 10, with the second part due out next year. Total Film declares it "all good news" while Empire reserves judgement until both parts are out.

Kill Bill's cast includes Lucy Liu, Michael Madsen and Daryl Hannah, as well as Thurman who plays an assassin who awakes from a five-year coma with a bullet lodged in her skull.

She sets out to track down her former boss, Bill, who ordered a massacre at her wedding after she tried to quit crime.

According to co-star Liu, who plays Japanese gang mastermind O-Ren Ishii, some of the violence in Kill Bill is so extreme, audiences may be physically sick.

And Thurman adds to the queasiness when she says of her character: "I get shot in the head, raped, kicked, beaten and sliced by samurai swords - they should have called it Kill Uma."

ono

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: Sydneythe NC-17 rating would be okay with me, but it might not be too good for the box office

keep dreaming.  would never happen.
Well, I just saw the Kill Bill commercial during a break from Leno, and the movie is now rated R.  Didn't see how the gore and violence was classified; I'm sure that can be found on IMDb.  If not now, eventually.

Ghostboy

Quote from: EEz28Ghostboy, GIMMIE YOUR PASS!!!!!!!! why cant you go?

Nevermind, I'm going. I'll report back tomorrow afternoon with what I think.

(notice how well I masked my intense anticipation)