Kill Bill: Volume One

Started by Satcho9, January 19, 2003, 10:18:06 PM

Ravi

Quote from: SydneyI was kind of surprised that there weren't very many people in the theater when I saw it. I bet it'll be packed tonight. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does at the box office and how the audience will react to it. There maybe some walk-outs tonight, who knows? :?

I bet college and high school guys will love this film, whether or not they know about the influences.  Maybe even the girls, given that a woman is the main character and she kicks everyone's asses.  I went to a 1:45pm showing and more people were in the theater than I expected.  What competition does it have for this week, Good Boy?

Quote from: ebeaman
By the way, anybody else obsessed with finding more French-Japanese women??? God, that girl was fucking gorgeous. What a great, unique combination.

Her name is Julie Dreyfus.  When I saw her credit at the beginning I thought, "Elaine is in this?"  :)

Lucy Liu, you have made up for Charlie's Angels.

brockly

aww, kill bill got 18+ in Australia.  :( I will have to end my life if i can't figure out a way to get in. anyone got any strategies?

Banky

Quote from: Brock Landersaww, kill bill got 18+ in Australia. :( I will have to end my life if i can't figure out a way to get in. anyone got any strategies?

yeah, wait fir it on video

brockly

Quote from: Banky
Quote from: Brock Landersaww, kill bill got 18+ in Australia. :( I will have to end my life if i can't figure out a way to get in. anyone got any strategies?

yeah, wait fir it on video

:shock: dude..... dude........... don't make me kill you

©brad

i just picked up the soundtrack and it is excellent. the songs r in order as they r in the movie. i luv the sinatra song that was under the title sequence.

RegularKarate

Shit Yeah!  This was great!
The two dipshit women next to me left twenty minutes into and the audience was mostly missing the funniest jokes (my wife and I had to cover our mouths, we were laughing in a silent theater during the kitchen scene).  

The Ennio Morricone rip-off score was fucking amazing... worth seeing the movie by itself, but there are so many other reasons it rules.

I've thought about it though... I don't know if I could take a 4 hour version.  like both back to back?

How different would this be if it were one movie?

Did anyone see a trailer after the credits?  I was told there was like a preview or something at the end, but we got nothin'

lamas

Everyone in my area must be unemployed or something because I went to a 2:30 show and the theater was packed.  What kind of dumbasses bring their little kids (who proceed to whine throughout) to KILL BILL?!  Pretty cool to see the old ShawScope logo at the beginning.  Not as violent as I would've thought based on what I had heard other people say.  The violence was comical more than anything else.  The anime was very brutal though.  The RZA produced a nice score.  The high-pitched synthesizers during the flashbacks were just ill!  The whole movie was just a great homage to old-school kung fu flicks.  I think alot of people who go in expecting anything but that will be very disappointed.  And I'm VERY pissed that the film had to be broken into two parts.  There's no real cliffhanger and it just doesn't feel like a complete picture.  (Though that might be because I read the rough draft of the screenplay and I kinda know how it's gonna end.  I'm never reading a screenplay before I see the movie again!)  Definitely looking forward to Vol. 2.

lamas

RK, I could definitely take a 3+ hour version.  I felt that just as momentum started to build and was at a high point it just stopped.  That sucked!  What a ripoff!  No more splitting movies up into smaller ones!  I stayed until the credits ended and I didn't see any trailer, previews, epilogue or anything.  I noticed a few walk-outs too.

Pas

I hated this movie ... so bad... CAUSE I LIVE IN OPPOSITES WORLD ! HAHAHA GOTCHA !

Fuck that was the best time I've had at a theater since maybe Jurassic Park when I was like 10 or 11. The crowd was awesome and people laughed at the right time which is fuckin rare.

The violence brought back my inner child...sweet.

I don't have anything to say about this movie. It is perfect.

modage

goddamn.  i was worried about this not living up to impossible expectations, but it blew them out of the water.  i pretty much agree with what everyone else has said here.  this is the fucking movie.  as soon as it was over my girlfriend and i walked into another theatre where it started right up again and watched it a second time.  fucking ruled.  goddamn, hard to describe.  i loved the violence. i loved the music. i loved the anime sequence (which i had been worried about). i loved the cinematography, god did i love the cinematography.  and i thought uma was great.  its like tarantino is playing a whole different ballgame from other directors.  its hardly even the same sport.  it ruled my fucking world.  more later.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

You mean you're girlfriend actually wanted to see it again ?!

Wow. You're a lucky bastard. My imaginary girlfriend walked right out when Uma got her head blown off.  :cry:

Alethia

i had to miss this tonight, but me and my girlfriend are getting up bright and early tomorrow morning (well, actually, THIS morning, seeing the time it is and whatnot), going to breakfast, and seeing the first showing at the spectrum.  and im about to shit myself, im so fucking excited.

EDIT: it says 10:24 on the thing, but where I live it is 12:24, just to clarify.....

Banky

i liked the movie but it sems like some of you are voer-praising it

neatahwanta

I don't think this flick can be over praised/

SHAFTR

After buying tickets online for the 3:45 show I was very disappointed when b/c of traffic I was unable to arrive on time.  

At 7, with my g/f being dragged along, I went to the same theatre and they redeemed by 3:45 tickets, and I got to see it on the ultrascreen.  
First off, this film was great, amazing, blew me away.  I am pretty sure I felt every emotion during the film.  The fight scenes were very long but not matrix reloaded too long.  I want to see Vol 1 again and I want to see Vol 2 right now.  I think it works perfect as one film, that ending....wow just amazing.  The opening, wow just amazing.  The anime, wow just amazing.  This film is an example of when a filmmaker on top of his craft decides to experiment and pulls it off.  

Edit:
Anyone notice the acronym of the team of assasins.
Deadly Viper Assassination Squad = DVAS (DiVAS)

I just read Ebert's review, this is pretty much what I thought:
http://suntimes.com/output/ebert1/wkp-news-killbill10f.html
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"