the vocalist

Started by Vile5, September 10, 2003, 07:17:11 PM

phil marlowe

i dig frank sinatra alot. my favorite singer ever.

godardian

Quote from: Cecilthe moz

...absolutely. Without him, The Smiths would've been absolutely nothing, as evidenced by the ever-fading fortunes and squandered talents of the other band members.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SHAFTR

Thom Yorke & Billy Corgan for their unusual voices
Axl Rose before he ruined his voice with substance abuse
Q-Tip for his smooth delivery
Jack White may have one of the best rock voices
Julian Casablancas for his cool delivery

...That is all I can think of for now.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

phil marlowe

i would like to nominate dimitri minakakis of dillinger escape plan.

SoNowThen

Paul Simon, oh he of the angelic voice
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

Quote from: SoNowThenPaul Simon, oh he of the angelic voice
i'd like to see paul and dimitri ina rap battle.

SoNowThen

Quote from: phil marlowe

that would officially be the seventh seal, right there...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

phil marlowe

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: phil marlowe

that would officially be the seventh seal, right there...
angelboy fights the giant rat

freakerdude

Quote from: Vile5someone remember her?? great vocalist too
I believe that is Shirley Manson.

A few more singers to add:

James Brown
Barry White
Roy Orbison
Jim Morrison
Freddy Mercury
Tupac Shakur - obviously not a singer but much more than just a rap artist.
MC Pee Pants

Jeremy Blackman

That's right. It's thread necromancy time. Last one for now, though...

I'm going to post a few songs with great vocal performances. Check them out and post your own!

"Careful" by Paramore (particularly 0:23 to 0:45)
"In For The Kill" by La Roux (3:35 anyone?)
"Little Bird" by Imogen Heap
"Medicina" by Buke and Gass (couldn't resist)
"Illuminated" by Mum
"Get Out" by Circa Survive
"Blown Away" by Shiny Toy Guns (not so much the chorus, but I love the delivery of the verses)

A couple live performances off the top of my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUmmsMeHAaE&feature=feedlik

Stefen

I listened to the first one -- Paramore. Good vocals, but it just seemed so overproduced. That amount of producing and studio tinkering can probably make anyone sound good.

The blond was cute tho.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Stefen on February 20, 2011, 05:17:40 PM
I listened to the first one -- Paramore. Good vocals, but it just seemed so overproduced. That amount of producing and studio tinkering can probably make anyone sound good.

Well, yeah... Not the case here though. Hayley Williams is probably one of my favorite vocalists...

Paramore needs stronger songwriting, and they'd be a great band.

squints

Quote from: Stefen on February 20, 2011, 05:17:40 PM
The blond was cute tho.

There's naked pictures of her out there in the interwebs.

Two years ago i went to/played at a festival where paramore and the all-american rejects were the featured headliners for one of the two days. Paramore fucking killed it live and when the Rejects followed they really didn't compare. BUT, paramore's music is borderline unlistenable otherwise. I think they just broke up too?

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: squints on February 21, 2011, 09:35:39 AMBUT, paramore's music is borderline unlistenable otherwise. I think they just broke up too?

It looks like the latest news is that they're releasing something this summer. I don't see any breakup news.

But yeah, like I was saying, I think their problem is lazy/inept songwriting, except for a few very good songs.

polkablues

There's no denying that Hayley Williams has a nice set of pipes (and her singing's pretty good, too... *rimshot*).  They do have some fun songs as well; I like them better when they're channeling Cheap Trick ("That's What You Get", "Misery Business") than when they try to be balladeers.  And they didn't break up, but two of the founding members left the band recently.  It seems I know way more about Paramore than I feel comfortable with.

Here's some more Great Moments In Vocal History:

Tool - (the part starting at about 8:27 wrecks me every time)

Mayfield Four - - Myles Kennedy is the best rock singer alive, and he used to be in an amazing band called Mayfield Four that made great music, and none better than this Marvin Gaye cover.  He is now in a not so amazing band called Alter Bridge, which is the band the former members of Creed started after Scott Stapp left.  I miss Mayfield Four.

Brandi Carlile - - Brandi Carlile has just a great voice in general, but when she gets to the part at 2:53 and her voice cracks I get goosebumps.

The Decemberists - - Don't worry, Cron, I'm not talking about Colin Meloy's voice on this one.  I'm talking about the backup vocals provided by Shara Worden, of the band My Brightest Diamond.  She first comes into the song around 2:08, and her voice is so fucking powerful and Grace Slick-y.  I saw them live shortly after Hazards of Love came out, and her voice was even more amazing live.  Also great in this song is Becky Stark, whose background vocals start around 4:17.

EDIT: I forgot to include my favorite voice of all voices, J Tillman: ,
My house, my rules, my coffee