The Video Rental Thread

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 06, 2003, 10:56:11 AM

Redlum

Signed up to an online rental place a while back, only just noticed this thread though. Seems like a good place to pick up recommendations, I'm quite interested in The Shooting

Three Colours Blue - Great. Really liked it. The use of music was amazing.

Red Beard - Cinematography was brilliant. I didn't really care about the slow pace because as a film fan there was always some great shot to perk me up - like the one in the well.

Catch 22 - Again brilliant cinematography. I love Mike Nichols, his stuff is just so well thought through. Director, Editor, Cinematographer and writer are so well coordinated they pull off some great stuff. The stuff in the planes is really impressive. The Soderbergh and Nichols commentary was interesting - lots of stories and 'how did you do that's'

Last Picture Show - Still to come.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

zerocool41

identity - disappointing...but i guess it was well done

anything else - hated it...and i love woody allen

bend it like beckham - slow, but it was okay - for kiera

heaven - so so

gigli - not so bad
I'm going to lay down a monster hand here.

NEON MERCURY

naked...... :? ....i didn't "get it".....it just seem like som eguy wonndering annnd talking to people that he meets then sex ...then bad foot......but the music is stellar.....

...welcome to the doll house...very good....

cine

Persona

Wild Strawberries

Shoot the Piano Player

NEON MERCURY

the discreet charme of the .......-..i enjoyed this.....don't really know what it is about unnder the surface ......other than justa  satire on the upper class and their ettiquette and personalities and habits......just enjoyee for the sake of watching ..puts you ins good mood....

the man who fell to earth....-.....this is one wild flick........just a jot to watch....

my left foot.....-damn ......day -lewis .... 8)

cine

Just rented Alphaville and I Am Cuba for a week.

Weak2ndAct

My current place of employment (hell) allows me to get free rentals.  So this is what I've watched recently:

HOME MOVIE: See my post in the Director's Chair.  Crap.
SO CLOSE: Decent Hong Kong chick-action flick.  Decent enough that it will be remade.
FREAKY FRIDAY (new one): A little weak until the 'switch,' but once it does, the movie really works.  Jaime Lee Curtis is great.
INTOLERABLE CRUELTY: Read the script, thought it could be great.  Marginally enjoyed it, forgettable.
BRING THE PAIN & BIGGER AND BLACKER: Chris Rock stand-up is just wonderful.  I never want to see Head of State.
JUNK: Japanese heist/zombie movie.  Gigantic piece of shit.
CONFIDENCE: Hoffman is great, the movie is not.  What a horrible, abrupt ending.
PHONE BOOTH: :?
CAPTURING THE FRIEDMANS: Great, still arguing w/ friends about the truth and lies.
OPEN RANGE: Fuckin' kick ass.  A great, classical western.  Best shootout in recent memory.
ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO: I wish Rodriguez would have just made a Johnny Depp movie instead.  He came close.
UNDERWORLD: Ass warmed over.  All this movie was missing was a gratuitous bullet-time shot to make the rip-off complete.
T3: You know, I really liked this.  A lot.  And the ending too.

Ravi

Not really a rental, since I watched it at the media library, but I watched Jacques Tati's Play Time.  I had no idea what it was about before seeing it and was totally bewildered by it.  I'm intrigued enough to watch it again.  Sad that this film bankrupted Tati.

Weak2ndAct

Despite feeling like I have no spare time, I manage to see all of this stuff.  

LOVE LIZA: Angst, huffing, and Hoffman sounds like a wonderful cinematic souffle.  It collapsed.
RUN RONNIE RUN: A fucking abortion.
AMERICAN SPLENDOR: Masterpiece.  Made me weepy for my homeland.  
THE SEARCHERS: Moderately enjoyed it, though I realized I kept watching it b/c I 'should' see it.
LEGALLY BLONDE: Finally saw it, wish I hadn't.
TEENAGE CAVEMAN: This is the biggest piece of ammo ever for the 'Clark is a fucking pervert and not a filmmaker' argument.  Utterly worthless crap.  
SUPER TROOPERS: For every joke that succeeds, four do not.  Brian Cox needs to be tanked in more movies.
LOST IN TRANSLATION: It's still good.
COWBOY BEBOP THE MOVIE: *shrug*
THE TRANSPORTER: The fight scenes work, the 45 minutes of crap between them do not.  Jason Statham is actually pretty decent.
WILLARD: Wonderful.  Great movie.  Great dvd.  Comes off like a fable or children's story, reminds me of when Tim Burton used to be good.
IN THE CUT: Jane Campion = crazy person.  The implosion of the film is something that should be tought as a guide 'how-not-to-construct-a-story' to future generations.
LOST IN LA MANCHA: It's so depressing to see someone's dream explode in their face, but surprisingly compelling.
CQ: Surprisingly decent, though I wish Coppola would have gone all the way and really done a full-on homage to 8 1/2 (having Giancarlo in the movie was not an accident).
COFFY: Bad movie, great fun.  Pam Grier is a fox.

SoNowThen

^^

Awesome post.

How movie reviews should be!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

Quote from: Weak2ndActCQ: Surprisingly decent, though I wish Coppola would have gone all the way and really done a full-on homage to 8 1/2 (having Giancarlo in the movie was not an accident).
why?  was it supposed to be bad?  i loved it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

Yeah, I just bought it and watched it last weekend. It was a cute little film, nothing mindblowing, but very fun to watch.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

i thought it resembled Day for Night more than 8 1/2, (although i can also see some of that as well as Contempt in there too).  but i thought it was totally great.  i liked it as much as any of Sofias movies.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SoNowThen

EXACTLY!!

Actually (this is a little public back-patting here) I felt the Il Bidone thing going on during the party sequence, and then later read that Roman had indeed screened that film as an influence.

1 point for SoNowThen.

MacGuffin

Did you see the "David Holzman's Diary" influence?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks