The Departed (Infernal Affairs remake)

Started by MacGuffin, February 13, 2004, 02:09:12 AM

Kal

I was just looking up some songs from the movie and downloading... if anybody gives a shit, the song at the beginning is by Dropkick Murphys - I'm shipping up to Boston. Great song!

Derek237

Yeah I DL'd it too. I don't see why they haven't released a soundtrack album. There's some good tracks to be found. Splice it up with some of the film's dialogue and you got a hit. If Capote can release a CD Soundtrack, so can The Departed.

hedwig

Quote from: Derek237 on October 16, 2006, 11:11:47 PM
Yeah I DL'd it too. I don't see why they haven't released a soundtrack album. There's some good tracks to be found. Splice it up with some of the film's dialogue and you got a hit. If Capote can release a CD Soundtrack, so can The Departed.

Derek237

soixante

My initial reaction after one viewing -- somewhat disappointed.  The scenes with the female therapist were boring, and seemingly endless.  I don't buy Di Caprio as a hard-ass (the scene in which he beats up two guys in a corner store was laughable).  High-concept thrillers just aren't Scorsese's forte -- as Cape Fear demonstrated.  When you strip this film of its stylistic flourishes, it reminded me of a late 80's Touchstone high concept action film.

On the other hand, Damon did a good job of playing a cipher.  The opening ten minutes were great, showing Damon making his way up and through the ranks of the police.  I enjoyed Nicholson's over the top showboating.
Music is your best entertainment value.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Hedwig on October 16, 2006, 11:17:06 PM
Quote from: Derek237 on October 16, 2006, 11:11:47 PM

Release date: November 7, 2006

Track Listing
1. Let It Loose - The Rolling Stones 
2. Comfortably Numb - Rogers Waters feat. Van Morrison & The Band 
3. Sail On, Sailor - The Beach Boys 
4. Sweet Dreams - Roy Buchanan 
5. One Way Out - The Allman Brothers Band 
6. Baby Blue - Badfinger 
7. I'm Shipping Up To Boston - Dropkick Murphys 
8. Nobody But Me - The Human Beinz 
9. Tweedle Dee - LaVern Baker 
10. Sweet Dreams (Of You) - Patsy Cline 
11. The Departed Tango - Howard Shore Featuring Marc Ribot (dobro) and 
12. Beacon Hill - Howard Shore Performed by Sharon Isbin
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

tpfkabi

I could have sworn that I heard Mick Jagger more than once.

Too, I was under the impression that the Stones didn't allow people to include their songs on soundtracks since the great RS songs in Wes Anderson films are never included.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

polkablues

Quote from: bigideas on October 19, 2006, 05:31:29 PM

Too, I was under the impression that the Stones didn't allow people to include their songs on soundtracks since the great RS songs in Wes Anderson films are never included.

I'm guessing "Gimme Shelter" was too pricey to go on the cd.  Too bad.
My house, my rules, my coffee

tpfkabi

Quote from: polkablues on October 19, 2006, 05:42:48 PM
Quote from: bigideas on October 19, 2006, 05:31:29 PM

I'm guessing "Gimme Shelter" was too pricey to go on the cd.  Too bad.

It doesn't make sense to me. A song like "I Am Waiting" wasn't a single or anything, yet it wasn't included on the Rushmore soundtrack. It actually benefited the Stones by me because I started buying the albums with the songs on them.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

Quote from: bigideas on October 19, 2006, 05:59:42 PM
It doesn't make sense to me.

Quote from: bigideas on October 19, 2006, 05:59:42 PMIt actually benefited the Stones by me because I started buying the albums with the songs on them.

ps. the whole movie was my favourite part

modage

i think you can include the stones on your sntks,  its probably just expensive as shit.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on October 20, 2006, 08:13:26 AM
i think you can include the stones on your sntks,  its probably just expensive as shit.

No, it's that they are extremely protective of their material and very rarely lease them out. I think the whole Verve lawsuit had to do with it.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Also, it's a little pointless to put a song like Gimme Shelter on a soundtrack.  Everyone's heard that song and probably has like four or five copies of it from different sources so soundtracks often limit themselves to shit that not everyone will already own.

Pozer