Vote for my short film (or I'll ban you)!

Started by Ghostboy, July 20, 2006, 02:59:45 AM

Ghostboy

Just kidding!

But not about the short film part. My first effort at semi-documentary filmmaking, a short essay entitled Some Analog Lines, is a finalist in the doc category of SXSWClick (which is SXSW's annual short media festival). It's also up for an audience award, which is why I feel the need to be self promotional.

Click here to watch it:

http://sxswclick.com/watch/some_analog_lines/

And then, if you like it (or even if you don't but just want to be nice), you can vote for it. Once a day. For the next week or so.

And if you like it or dislike it enough to feel like commenting about it here, I'd love to hear what you think....good or bad.

hedwig

i was unsure at first what you were getting at. the first few minutes had me thinking you were knocking computer animation for what i percieved to be the implication that it hindered hands-on creativity.. then i realized you weren't saying that at all.. and then i totally got what you were saying when you (along with stating it explicitly at the end of the film) presented that great image of yourself working the computer program in the air with your hands, embracing the way technology and artistic innovation (in theory and practice) can be merged. that image really brought it home.

i'm obviously gonna vote for it but i do have a couple criticisms. i didn't like the overlapping monologue, and i think the shelf and book bits were somewhat redundant. other than that, a fine visual essay.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Redlum

Nice one. I think you presented, very succinctly, some issues that can be pretty frustrating to those involved in any kind of digitalvsanalog arguments.

Some great visual flair - particularly the transition from shelve sections to film strip and the minorityreport-like manipulation of the NLE timeline.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

ProgWRX

:bravo:  Very nice. I really enjoyed the whole thing. Some really beautiful shots, particularly when you were working on the stop motion animation. Is there any way we can see THAT movie too? 

The only thing I didnt enjoy was the last bit with the Minority Report thing. It kind of threw me off from the rest of the mood. Still that scene alone was very well done, it's just that to me it didnt fit with the rest.

Overall very nice imagery and i like the way you exposed the topic that even someone with very little knowledge can appreciate what you are saying.

-Carlos

children with angels

Already voted for it this when I read your blog entry! Loved the flow of it from first film with your brother to what you're doing now: perfectly conceived. I also was ever so slightly visually perturbed by the Minority Report-esque moment (though, embarrassingly for me, what came to mind first was 'Disclosure'...!) but intellectually it does make perfect sense, so really it's just a question of aesthetic tastes.

But, all in all,  :)

Also: I presume this beautiful-looking first movie was where the name Ghostboy grew from...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Ghostboy

Thanks, folks!

Regarding the criticism of the last scene: the Minority Report thing is sort of like an epilogue (or a punctuation mark for an epilogue). It doesn't really fit with the rest of the film, but I felt it was a necessary closing beat. It was one of those things, like the shelf sequence, that just seemed right for what I was trying to do. That shelf sequence feels like the most important part of the film to me, in a lot of ways.

Quote from: children with angels on July 20, 2006, 09:39:43 AM
Also: I presume this beautiful-looking first movie was where the name Ghostboy grew from...?

Actually, surprisingly, no....the name came from the title of a short childrens' film I made in high school. I've got a thing for ghosts, I guess.

I haven't had time to work on the stop motion film for almost a year now, unfortunately...the set is sitting there in my room, gathering dust. It's about two and a half minutes long at the moment, and there's probably about two minutes left. It took me forever to get this far because I was making it up as I went along....I figured I'd take the Wong Kar Wai approach, which I've since realized isn't the best thing to do when you're animating.