Shrek 2

Started by edison, October 23, 2003, 12:49:11 PM

SiliasRuby

I just saw it. This is an all around vastly entertaining and cute flick.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Gloria

This was such a funny film.  I agree that the animation was fantastic and looked wonderful, especially on the journey to Far, Far Away.  This was a huge audience pleaser and I think it had more laughs than the original.  The references to different movies was entertaining, especially any of the Disney cartoon references.  SPOILER! One of my favorite lines had to be when the fairy godmother was making the point that no fairy tales with happy endings have ogres, and she said "Cinderella, no ogres....Snow White, no ogres....Pretty Woman,  no ogres."  That just struck me as funny.

bonanzataz

ugh, i hate this movie already.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Stefen

Quote from: bonanzatazugh, i hate this movie already.

I haven't even seen it but it's going to have over 100 mil by sunday. Also, it opened on over 4000 screens. Is that a record?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Yes.  Shrek 2 is the first movie to cross the 4,000 theater mark.

A World Apart

I just got back from this. I'd say it was just as good as the first one. It seemed that there were a lot more jokes that only adults would understand...which made it really enjoyable in that aspect. I didn't laugh super hard or anything, nothing that would make me cry or something, but the first one didn't do that either. It was just a lot of fun.
Hell, even my husband liked it, and he hates movies! GASP
No, I've never seen that, I've never seen anyone drive their garbage out to the curb and bang the hell out of it with a stick.

depooter

I just got back. my son wanted to go...I think these movies are highly overrated. The animation is stunning, but they don't hold a candle to the pixar films (monsters, inc., nemo, etc.). They just don't have script or the heart....

Greg
www.ptanderson.com
www.theuncool.com

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: depooterthey don't hold a candle to the pixar films (monsters, inc., nemo, etc.). They just don't have script or the heart....
Agreed.

The movie was essentially meaningless aside from parody and homage. Not that there's anything, umm, wrong with that.

INTENSE SPOILERS

Same issue as with the first Shrek: can the formula plot be explained by parody? I mean this one was pretty thick with cliché... especially the party crashing last moment save the day redemption.

The COPS sequence was completely classic: white bronco, pepper spray, and (of course) catnip.

MacGuffin

Katzenberg announces two more Shrek films
Source: Moviehole

Jeffrey Katzenberg announced in Cannes this week that Dreamworks plans to do a "Shrek 3" and a "Shrek 4" should the latest sequel be a success.

"Before the first one was finished we talked about what the whole story of Shrek is, and each of the chapters answers questions about the first movie and gives us an insight."

"Shrek 3 and 4 are going to reveal other unanswered questions and, finally, in the last chapter, we will understand how Shrek came to be in that swamp, when we meet him in the first movie. There is a reason he came to be there, but there is another chapter to the story before that", he says.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

money-money-money-money...monaaaayyyh!

modage

saw this today and really enjoyed it.  while ill agree it cant hold a candle to ANY pixar film, (maybe Bugs Life), it was still one of the best things i've seen all year.  it was brimming with visual humor and just as many things as they could squeeze in the frame.  i havent seen the first one since the theatre, but remember being a little offput by some of the 'fart' humor they seemed to be stooping to, but i thought this one was much more clever.  i also remember thinking that mike myers voice seemed to be too awkward during the first film and as he was given much of the humor that was another drawback.  but this one, he was probably given the LEAST to do and everyone else got to be funny.  i was laughing to the point of tears a few times and laughing pretty much throughout.  puss in boots was hilarious.  this movie was good.  :yabbse-thumbup:

i wasnt terribly excited about this film but i was really surprised when i saw it to see how much i enjoyed myself.  i really appreciate how careful the studios are a lot of times about making sequels actually really good.  they know that one false step could 'kill the franchise' and eliminate potential hundreds of millions from entering their pockets, so now they realize the power of the sequel and a lot of times will go the extra mile to make sure they dont mess it up.  way to go shrek.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

Source: davisdvd
Release Calender: November 2, 2004: Shrek 2
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Ravi

Quote from: SiliasRubySource: davisdvd
Release Calender: November 2, 2004: Shrek 2

Wanna bet that gets pushed back to around Christmas?

While it didn't have the freshness of the first one, I liked Shrek 2.  I wish they had given Puss-in-Boots more catlike mannerisms.  The hairball scene and the big sad eyes were hilarious.  Yes, much of the humor is based on parody, but they did it very well.

Ghostboy

I managed to stay seated throughout the whole thing, and everytime I was getting dangerously bored something amusing enough would happen, but I really didn't like this much. I loved the first one the first time I saw it, but it had zero repeat value, and that trait apparently extends to this extension. Some of the jokes were funny, but every single one of them was just so obvious. The whole thing felt gaudy. The two Starbucks across the street from each other was an amusing touch, and I'm glad Tom Waits and Nick Cave will not have any financial troubles for the time being, but I'm sorta dreading the third and fourth installments.

It's funny, though, reading the reviews of this one...people who didn't care much for the first one LOVE this one, and vice versa.

I've seen Monsters Inc about thirty times by now, and still can't tear myself away from it when my little sister turns it on. I think Jeffery Katzenberg revealed the fallacy of this series when he said that he wanted it to be distinctly from an adult's point of view. The first one sorta worked, but here they tried waaayyy too hard to make it appeal to adults, while still making it safe for kids.

MacGuffin

Universal has today officially announced Shrek 2 for release in shops this November. The hit animated sequel will be available to own from the 5th November this year, priced at around $29.99. Details are still pretty sketchy, although as things stand, this will only be a single-disc release. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras will include an audio commentary with directors Kelly Asbury and Conrad Vernon, and a second commentary by producer Aron Warner and editor Mike Andrews. Rounding things off will be a number of behind the scenes featurettes, interactive games and more. Available from the same day will be Shrek: The Story So Far. This is a boxed set containing Shrek, Shrek 2, a Shrek 2 bonus disc and Shrek 3D. Retail for this will be set at around $54.99.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks