The Last Picture Show

Started by Derek, September 04, 2003, 09:42:19 AM

Derek

Preface: I could not find a thread already specific to this topic, so I went ahead and started one.

Certainly one of my favorite films, I think The Last Picture Show rests on a level of recognition just below some of the other greats of the seventies like the Godfathers, Jaws, A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, among others. It fits nicely into that Five Easy Pieces, Harold and Maude mode of fame. I don't know if that made any sense.

But what I'm wondering is if many more here have seen it and if not consider this a whole-hearted recommendation of a gem of a movie.

Post-script: I would also like to take this opportunity to endorse Psycho 98.

Public Service Announcement: Avoid Texasville at all costs, the much-belated sequel to Last Picture Show.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

SoNowThen

I'm  with you on Last Picture Show.

brilliant flick!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

I'll third that.  Too bad the best thing Bogdanovich has done since is the interview he conducted with David Chase on the Sopranoes First Season DVD.  Oh sorry I'll correct myself, I just remembered he did mask which was good, but nowhere near Picture Show greatness.

mutinyco

Bogdonovich likes to tell the story about he and Orson Welles were talking about Garbo. Peter said that she'd only made 1 great film. Orson replied that that's all you need. Fitting.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

I haven't seen any of Bogdonovich's movies but if I saw one of them and it was bad and if I wrote a review about it, as a joke, I would call him Peter Boggeddown(incrap)ovich.
But anyway Cybil Sheppard was really hot back in the day. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Gold Trumpet

I'll get personal a little: A few years back, I'd been wanting to see this movie really badly. Knew nothing of it and the only other Bogdonovich movie I had seen was Paper Moon, innocent enough. I was going out of town with my gf to visit her grandparents. A rather dry medium sized city with not much to do. She always fell asleep when watching my kind of movies. Ten, fifteen minutes into it, she'd be out. With Paper Moon and a few others, she managed to stay awake and really enjoy it. I told her The Last Picture Show was even more acclaimed. She actually really wanted to see it. In her grandparent's town, we decided to rent a movie and surprise enough, Last Picture Show was available to rent. The end result of us watching it and her grandparent's being present for a good period during the movie and also being overtly protective is obvious. Most uncomfortable fucking experience on watching a movie ever!

Finally, my gf didn't care for the movie. After seeing it, I expected that much.

~rougerum

Duck Sauce

The Last Picture show is such a depressing name for an equally depressing movie.....

I havent seen another movie that potrayed such a realistic level of abandonment and lonliest..... it seems like thats how it would be if you got held back in school and watch all your friends move on

Bud_Clay

Quote from: DerekBut what I'm wondering is if many more here have seen it and if not consider this a whole-hearted recommendation of a gem of a movie.

Yeah absolutely...It ranks up there in the tops.  One of the truly most beautifully written & directed films.  It's kind of funny how I was introduced to the film.  My 12th grade English teacher had recommended it to me & she was very much one of those insane teachers who'd write up pretentious poetry on the board for students to comment what they think the meaning of it is.  She was a fucking crackhead but I thank her for having introduced me to this gem of a film.

SiliasRuby

Great film with beathtaking scenes and beautiful but severally flawed characters. Anyone who hasn't seen this, go out and rent it as soon as possible.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

classical gas

why must you guys insist on bossing me around?