Cristian Mungiu

Started by wilder, April 10, 2014, 02:41:58 PM

wilder

105 Year-Old Manoel de Oliveira & Cristian Mungiu Line Up New Directorial Projects
via The Playlist

Manoel de Oliveira is 105 years-old, and while other filmmakers talk about retirement or wanting to try something different, the Portuguese director doesn't know the word quit. That's right, he's already in production on his next project, so whatever little complaints you might have about your day, maybe take it down a notch because Oliveira is still shuffling around, getting it down.

His new film is a short entitled "O Velho do Restelo (The Old Man from the Restelo)," and it "recounts the life and work of Portuguese romantic writer Camilo de Castelo Branco. It is through these literary references, which also incorporate others such as those of Miguel de Cervantes, that the film will create a reflection on Portugal and its history." Even at over at 100 years old, Oliveira had to hustle to get financing for the five-day production, but it has all come together, with everything expected to be completed in August. Venice Film Festival, anyone? [Cineuropa]

Meanwhile, Romanian filmmaker Cristian Mungiu ("4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days," "Beyond The Hills") has nabbed financing for his next project, "RMN." What is it about? No details yet but Romania's National Centre of Cinematography has given him one million euros to play with. And, frankly, any word about a new Mungiu film is good news, so let's hope this one gets rolling soon.

wilder

New Film from Cristian Mungiu
via The Playlist

Cristian Mungiu ("4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days," "Beyond The Hills") will start shooting his next film, "Fotografii de familie" ("Family Photographs"), within the next six months. "It's a story which is linked to where I am in life now" he said. "It's about compromise, parenting and children and understanding this relationship between what you say to your children and what they see you doing. It's set in Romania again. People are always asking me if I'm going to make an English-language film but I want to make personal projects about things that I know."