you know what he should do? (Spielberg)

Started by Alethia, November 16, 2003, 10:22:19 AM

mutinyco

Considering I think Spielberg was responsible for the best pictures of 2001-02, yeah, he'll probably go down. The thing that I would disagree with GT on is that I don't think his recent films were retreads. Not at all. I think he's at a point where he doesn't feel the need to impress anybody anymore. As he stated a few years ago, if he was interested in just making money he'd have done Harry Potter. And look at the grosses for his last 3 films -- with didn't do traditional business. It's because they were different than what he normally does. Even though Minority Report and Catch Me if You Can did $100-million, they were moderate successes, compared with modern day blockbusters.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ElPandaRoyal

One thing I think no one can deny is Spielgerg's love for movies. He loves making them no less than PTA or Tarantino or Scorsese, or whoever. His films just happen to make more money than the rest, simply because he has a prefference for the kind of stories that really attract audiences. I could never really understand why people say he makes films because of the money. I'm sure he doesn't need anymore money ever since he make "Jaws". He's a passionate filmmaker and you can like his films or not (I like most of them, but only love a few) but I don't think it's fair to concentrate on his box-office results.
Si

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: mutinycoConsidering I think Spielberg was responsible for the best pictures of 2001-02, yeah, he'll probably go down. The thing that I would disagree with GT on is that I don't think his recent films were retreads.

I think they were in the sense of how light they were as films. A.I. is an honest attempt at something more, but its a general failure to me and really appreciative as a light affair only. In the dramatic sense, the film is a mere melding of two men's art and serves better at referencing things in the film to their past work instead of serving as anything organic. Minority Report has a dramatic spirit very much lacking in the souless Raiders of the Lost Ark, buts its end is still on genre terms. Catch Me If You Can is a light affair all around. Of course, you knew my position on these films so maybe I am saying this just to post and update the topic.

MacGuffin

Spielberg dreams of low-budget filmmaking
Source: The Guardian

Steven Spielberg is contemplating a move into lower budget arthouse pictures at DreamWorks in the wake of the studio's takeover by Paramount Pictures.

The Oscar-winning talent behind such blockbusters as Jurassic Park, War of the Worlds and Schindler's List has also revealed Paramount was not his first choice to acquire the studio he co-founded in 1994 with David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg.

In a further bombshell, during an interview with Variety editor-in-chief Peter Bart to be broadcast on US television this Sunday, Spielberg says Hollywood chiefs snubbed his dream to film Memoirs of a Geisha in Japanese with subtitles for a cut-price $10m budget.

"Paramount gave us everything we wanted and more, and it turned out to be good for DreamWorks," Spielberg says in AMC channel's Sunday Morning Shootout. "But I was hoping it would be a Universal situation."

Universal corporate parent GE was regarded as the frontrunner to buy DreamWorks last year but pulled out after the parties were unable to agree terms. That paved the way for Brad Grey's hugely ambitious Paramount to swoop in a $1.6bn eleventh hour deal.

Spielberg praises recent lower budget releases by leading US specialty distributors like Focus Features and Fox Searchlight and the independent studio Lionsgate, adding: "I would love to go off and make a picture like Capote or George Clooney's Good Night, and Good Luck."

He expects to be able to do so in the coming years and firmly believes DreamWorks and Paramount will effectively operate as separate studios with distinct visions.

However the director will keep his office on the lot at Universal, which has played such an integral role in his career and backed hits like Jaws and the Jurassic Park franchise. "That lot, basically, to me represents home," he says.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Cheers, Mac. I loved how Spielberg was just getting a coffee before he sat down.

Looking forward to Brett Ratner.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

JG

I thought all the guests did that.

Just Withnail

No, Ratner will be furiously hitting on someone before he sits.

polkablues

Quote from: Just Withnail on June 18, 2006, 02:51:05 PM
No, Ratner will be furiously hitting on someone before he sits.

Just ask Woody Harrelson.

My house, my rules, my coffee