book to movie adaptations

Started by bonanzataz, October 02, 2003, 05:42:34 PM

bonanzataz

what are some book to movie adaptations that intrigue you? ones that you would like to see done or ones that are already done that you really like.

i recently read beloved and then saw the movie. i think demme did a good job with it but have no idea how anybody could watch that movie without having read the book. i don't think it would make much sense. the movie felt like a companion to the book, rather than an adaptation, because it was so faithful to the material.

another really good adaptation is roald dahl's the witches, directed by nicolas roeg who made movies like walkabout and the man who fell to earth before this one. i haven't seen any of his others, but the witches is just plain awesome. i think it's angelica huston's best performance ever.

there's also 2001, of course, but i never read the book (has anybody?).

right now i'm reading palahniuk's invisible monsters. this would be one fucked up movie, i hope it gets made in 10 years or i'm scaring up a budget and buying the rights (wishful thinking, eh?). it's an incredibly quick read, too.

that should be enough to get your noodles going. discuss...
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

ElPandaRoyal

I liked what Coppola did with Apocalypse Now from the book Hearts Of Darkness (I believe that's the name ofthe book).
Si

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Si

godardian

That other thread is going nowhere and has a lame title besides, so:

The book I've longest cherished the fantasy of adapting and directing is Them by Joyce Carol Oates. Now, I think this is a truly fine book in its own right, but it also has all the "raw materials" you would need to make a good movie. It really suggested itself to me when I read it, and as I've been going through my recent Fassbinder phase, I keep dipping back into the book and thinking of all the Fassbinder-esque things that could be done with some of the stuff there...

A book needn't be good to make a good movie, of course, or vice versa; that's why I take pains to point out that, aside from being a good book, it could also make a good movie.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Ghostboy

I thought The Hours did a pretty remarkable job of turning an interior-monologue based novel into a movie almost entirely free of voice over. Also, one that no one usually mentions is Eyes Wide Shut -- the adaptation of Dream Story stayed close to the source material, but the few changes that were made are rather fascinating. Welles' adaptation of The Trial is also awesome.

The one adaptation I want to make, a dream project of mine, would be Cormac McCarthy's 'The Crossing' (which follows 'All The Pretty Horses' in  a literary trilogy by McCarthy). It's one of the most raw, elemental stories I've ever read. I also would love to make 'To The White Sea,' but I think I'd love it even more if the Coen Brothers got to it first.

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyI thought The Hours did a pretty remarkable job of turning an interior-monologue based novel into a movie almost entirely free of voice over. Also, one that no one usually mentions is Eyes Wide Shut -- the adaptation of Dream Story stayed close to the source material, but the few changes that were made are rather fascinating. Welles' adaptation of The Trial is also awesome.

The one adaptation I want to make, a dream project of mine, would be Cormac McCarthy's 'The Crossing' (which follows 'All The Pretty Horses' in  a literary trilogy by McCarthy). It's one of the most raw, elemental stories I've ever read. I also would love to make 'To The White Sea,' but I think I'd love it even more if the Coen Brothers got to it first.

I wanted so bad for Thornton's All the Pretty Horses to remain unsullied by grubby Weinstein hands, but it was not to be; you can actually see the gaps they left, as if there's a reel missing.  :(
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Ghostboy

Seriously. I think Billy Bob's disowned it, which is good.

Oh, and taz, I read 2001 a long time ago. I think it was written in conjunction with the movie, if I remember correctly. Anyway, it's the same story but without all the trippy stuff.

Banky

godardian

Quote from: Bankyi liked Lord of The Flies

Peter Brooks or Harry Hook?

Banky

pete

more elmore leonard novels should be turned into movies.  Also, a book titled "The Day They Stole Mona Lisa", it's one of the coolest heist stories I've read.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

2001, the novel, was written in conjecture with the film.

My own personal dream project of book adaptation would be Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, a horror novel. Kubrick had interest in it and almost did it. I'm glad he didn't. The little of theme that is in the novel, does fit Kubrick's repetoire of interests in movies, this an outsider being disguised as something else in order to fit into a world. My fear would be that Kubrick would propel this to dominate the entire movie. It would miss oportunities of what can be accomplished in the novel and cliche for him.

I have problems with the horror genre in general, but this would be in my interest in attempting pure realism in a world of a killer. The movie would be superficial, but intensely focused on everything this man did. Symbolism gone. Just trying to create the most unique of world and trying to just show the scariest mother fucker alive in the best way possible without having movie cliche riddle into it and give off comparison to a Jason or something.

~rougerum

ShanghaiOrange

2001 was based on a Clark short story called "The Sentinel" which was basically just the part on the moon.

Anyway, the best movies based on books: All of Kubrick's movies (The Killing onward), Apocalypse Now, and Rashomon.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

The Conformist
Raging Bull (based on the ghosted autobiography of LaMotta)
Pickpocket

One day I'll scrounge up some money and do a real version of either Great Expectations or David Copperfield, both of which have been butchered at every attempt. Before anyone freaks out, yes, the Lean version of GE was wonderful... until the 3rd act, when it dragged itself down into the shit heap.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.