David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

ElPandaRoyal

Fucking awesome, man!  :bravo:
Si

RegularKarate

Amazing!

Is Redford just going to be the voice of the dragon or are you Mo-Capping him too?

Cloudy

OrHowILearnedTo

Gold Trumpet

This is the best and nicest surprise since my return. Love every part of it. Congrats, Ghostboy.

Alexandro

This guy's so hot right now!

Ghostboy

Thanks folks. Hopefully I can actually finish the current movie (still making our post-Sundance tweaks) and get down to the business of making this new one. I think it'll be pretty awesome.

The Perineum Falcon

Shout out on NPR's On Point! Great interview with Carruth, and GB mentioned in the same breath as Malick! Way to go!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cinemanarchist

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/aint-bodies-saints-filmmaker-adapt-433273

Ain't Them Bodies Saints' Filmmaker to Adapt Brian Michael Bendis' 'Torso' (Exclusive)
source: Hollywood Reporter

David Lowery is attached to write and direct the adaptation of the crime thriller graphic novel by Bendis and Marc Andreyko.

After spending years in limbo, the adaptation of Torso, the graphic novel by comics superstar Brian Michael Bendis and Marc Andreyko, is coming back to life.

David Lowery, the filmmaker who drew much praise for his Sundance film Ain't Them Bodies Saints, has come aboard to write and direct the thriller, which will be produced by Circle of Confusion, the shingle behind AMC's The Walking Dead. Bendis and Andreyko are also producing.Hollywood has tried for more than a decade to get its hooks into Torso, which was written by Bendis and Andreyko and drawn by Bendis in the late 1990s.

The true story of Elliot Ness' time after his Al Capone days, when he moved to Cleveland and got embroiled in the hunt of serial killer who was leaving torsos in the river and taunting notes to police, attracted David Fincher, Ehren Kruger, Bill Mechanic, Todd McFarlane and Don Murphy in the mid-2000s.

Fincher was going to direct an adaptation for Paramount as a follow-up to his Zodiac and even had Matt Damon attached but at the last moment, Paramount blinked. The studio thought the budget was too high, and more importantly, saw Fincher's desire to do it in black and white as a risky commercial bet.

The project fell under its own weight and the rights eventually reverted to Bendis and Andreyko. Bendis, in the intervening years, has become one of the biggest named in comics, working exclusively for Marvel. In March alone, the comics he wrote -- Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, Guardians of the Galaxy, among them -- sold over a million copies, a rare feat in today's publishing marketplace. Andreyko, too, has moved on to mainstream comics, writing books for DC and Marvel such as Manhunter and Captain America and Bucky.

Torso is now starting from scratch, and is eschewing the studio route for a lower-budgeted, indie approach that will aim be to be a high-minded, period serial killer movie. Bendis said that while the project has had its ups and downs over the last 15 years, he's never lost belief in its cinematic potential.

"It's a cool true story that very little people know of," he said. "You think you know the story of Elliot Ness? You don't. You know the story of serial killers? You don't. And that's how I kept the faith." Lowery's Saints was described by critics as a crime saga by way of an art film, with THR's Todd McCarthy comparing the director to Terrence Malick, and saying the film serves "most decisively to put director-writer David Lowery on the map." Since Saints bowed, Lowery has kept things varied. He has booked a gig writing a remake of Pete's Dragon for Disney and is teaming up with Robert Redford on the indie crime drama The Old Man and the Gun.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

cinemanarchist

In other news, I have GOT to get my shit together.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Jeremy Blackman

David Lowery also needs to write and direct a screwball comedy about his insane schedule.

Lottery

On the topic of his schedule, I thought this was pretty cool.

http://vimeo.com/33515966

But I imagine things are different now because he doesn't plan on sleeping again.

Ghostboy

This marks the first time I've found out I'm attached to something on xixax.

(this is a real possibility, but it's a little ways off)

modage

It's now your responsibility to revive all of David Fincher's old amazing sounding projects. Rendevous With Rama or Black Hole next, plz?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Lottery

Make it Rendezvous With Rama.