David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

jenkins

you see him in Alexander the Last, which i'm special mentioning because once you start looking for Ghostboy's name in the Thanks section of movies you're going to see his name around all the time. imdb doesn't provide a helpful credits list in this regard, because i assure you the list is long. The House of the Devil is when i first noticed this.

of course i want to see Baby Mary and Empire Builder and wonder when/how i will.

JG

really appreciated what david had to say about making a movie with a non-confrontational personality. its something i think about a lot!

Reel

I listen to hours of podcasts everyday and they're usually just to drown out my own thoughts, but the true sign of a quality conversation is when I have to pause and rewind because I feel like I missed something good. I did that about 4 times with this one, and I'm sure you'd be glad to know you're in the company of Paul Thomas Anderson and William Friedkin with that, for their WTF interviews ( with Paul's, I was pausing about every ten minutes). I'm always hesitant to listen to directors on podcasts because I'm worried they'll talk more about their body of work than themselves, but you and Alexi are so closely linked that she seems more invested in promoting you as a person than a Director. She gives you a stellar intro, but my favorite parts are how she says you "look like a vampire" because I guess I never put my finger on exactly what it was, but you've got a fucking intense look about you.

Did you take that line from 'Pi' to heart and stare into the sun as a child? No, it's good to have a mystery around you as a director. Can't be all toothy smiles and good naturedly on the red carpet. The public should know you're a force to be reckoned with!

The other thing she says is that you're "Obsessed" with 'The Brown Bunny', and I don't think I've ever heard of anyone even liking that movie. It got such a weird reception when it was released, between the Roger Ebert feud and the critical consensus that Gallo was basically trolling the audience. I still haven't seen it, but between your praise and how much I like "Buffalo 66", I think it's well worth a shot.

What I appreciated most about the interview was to learn that you come from humble beginnings. 1 of 9, and homeschooled! These are things about you I wouldn't have gleaned just from knowing you here, but it seems to explain so much about your work ethic. You never dealt with the confinement of going to school and were basically taught to pursue your dreams over just holding down a job. The other thing it does is force you to learn independently, and choose your own courses of study. It's always interesting when a heavy hitter comes along with the badge of never going to film school. The influx of these directors in the 90's seems to have made us take it for granted how much intensive study is required in making a film, whether you like it or not. We come across these success stories time and time again, but the message always seems to hold true that no one is simply going to come along and ask you to make a film. You have to prove yourself through your own work what you're capable of. Once that gets recognized, the sky's the limit!

So, even more than the recent press surrounding 'Pete's Dragon', this interview got me excited for your overall career. You have certainly paid your dues in the business, but the release of this movie is going to put a lot more attention on your unique aesthetic outlook. It makes me wonder how successful you'll be in making another $12,000 movie like 'St. Nick' when there are plenty of people willing to give you $120,000 for it. You guys always talk about going back to your 'simpler days' of filmmaking until it gains traction with certain actors who can't operate on a film of that budget.

I'm really looking forward to 'Pete's Dragon', though. It'll be such a trip, watching one of your movies at my Mall! I know you will do the story justice and exceed all of our expectations with the depth of characters and atmosphere throughout.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Reelist on March 24, 2016, 12:08:32 PM
Can't be all toothy smiles and good naturedly on the red carpet. The public should know you're a force to be reckoned with!

Despite the stoic look that seems to be oft captured by cameras, seeing him in person can fill you with the same friendly glow a big smile does. As intense as his face can go, you can't help but feel he's a kind person. We've only met a few times, but I felt I should speak out against the implication that he's scary (unless that's what David wants implied, in which case, I'm sorry to out you as a nice guy).

Quote from: Reelist on March 24, 2016, 12:08:32 PM
The other thing she says is that you're "Obsessed" with 'The Brown Bunny', and I don't I've ever heard of anyone even liking that movie. It got such a weird reception when it was released, between the Roger Ebert feud and the critical consensus that Gallo was basically trolling the audience. I still haven't seen it, but between your praise and how much I like "Buffalo 66", I think it's well worth a shot.

I don't love the movie, but it's definitely worth watching. You know all the bad shit that was said at the time was based on a cut that was a lot different than what got released. Ebert even gave the final version a positive review and praised the edit of the movie and gave it three stars.

Ghostboy

Loved reading that post! I'm glad y'all enjoyed that podcast. Alexi is awesome.

And in case anyone doubted my commitment to The Brown Bunny....here's the poster I have that's too big to hang on any of my walls.

ElPandaRoyal

That Brown Bunny part was the funniest, I think. It's the perfect movie to have people watch at your place.

I don't know if I'd recommend it, Reelist, because it's a very peculiar experience, but I also loved it. Saw it when it came out in the theatres here in Portugal in 2004, with my older brother (which was just weird) and a few other older ladies in the audience (which was even weirder) and it is fascinating. The slow pace is almost hypnotic, and even if the ending feels like it's out of place, it's just the catharsis that movie needs. Bought the DVD but have never seen it again. However, some of those shots, particularly in the beginning, have stayed with me since. Powerful stuff.
Si

jenkins

Reelist we're twitter friends and my header is/always has been from The Brown Bunny. so i'd like to support RK and EPR supporting Ghostboy supporting The Brown Bunny. and i don't like things in tepid ways. i like The Brown Bunny all the way. i think it's perfectly geared toward reflecting its character, from an emotional/psychological state. the problem is it's not a perfect character. but a perfect character is movie bullshit anyway.

Reel

You know, I like to think that I've swayed this conversation away from David and towards what xixax is and has always been about: gushing over the undersung movies that we LOVE. I can identify with you guys because I've always felt this away about 'Sling Blade'. So simply shot, yet so emotionally effective. I'll consider 'the brown bunny' in that sense as I carry onward.

I didn't want to sound like such a fanboy on that first post, but I consider ghostboy a true brethren. There's a part towards the end where he talks about "eating a lot of food, incredibly fast" that I totally related with. I didn't grow up in as big a family as his, but when I have a huge spread in front of me, I just think "I gotta have it ALL!". And I eat like smeagol, it's gotten to an embarassing point where I have to hide from my coworkers at lunch so I can devour my meal like a true savage.

Anyways, ghost. keep it under the sheets! if you get my draft

Jeremy Blackman

Jenkins spotted this. And as he said, the headline is the story. Not much more info.

Disney Sets 'Pete's Dragon' Helmer David Lowery For New Live Action Peter Pan Film

http://deadline.com/2016/04/peter-pan-live-action-disney-film-david-lowery-petes-dragon-1201736940/

EXCLUSIVE: Disney will make its own live-action Peter Pan film, and has set David Lowery to direct a script that he will write with Toby Halbrooks. They teamed to write and Lowery directed Pete's Dragon, a new version of Disney's 1977 live action/animated musical. It will be the second effort in the family film space for Lowery, who was best known for writing and directing the edgy indie Ain't Them Bodies Saints.

Disney might as well reclaim the J.M. Barrie work about the boy who would not grown up; it was the focus of its successful 1953 animated film. Many other studios have made their own versions on the big and small screen, including Steven Spielberg's star-studded Hook to most recently the Joe Wright-directed Pan, which didn't work out well for Warner Bros. Lowery is separately working towards directing Robert Redford in The Old Man And The Gun, which Lowery adapted from the David Grann Vanity Fair article about an aging thief who in the 1980s knocked off a lot of banks in throwback style and became a folk hero outlaw.

This becomes another strong project for Disney's live-action division, run by Sean Bailey, which has generated its own list of family-themed blockbusters from past Disney properties and theme park attractions and some originals. It doesn't get the ink accorded to sister silos Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm, but it has gotten results that should continue with the upcoming Jon Favreau-directed The Jungle Book, which is already slated to develop a sequel. The division has a Tim Burton-directed Dumbo percolating, and Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, which directors Joachin Ronning and Espen Sanberg have wrapped.

Also percolating is the James Bobin-directed sequel Alice Through The Looking Glass, a Mary Poppins sequel with Rob Marshall directing Emily Blunt and Hamilton's Lin Manuel Miranda, the Bill Condon-directed Beauty And The Beast with Emma Watson, Angelina Jolie in Maleficent 2, Emma Stone set for Cruella De Ville, Dwayne Johnson attached to Jungle Cruise, James Mangold developing Captain Nemo, Ehren Kruger developing Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, with a version of Tower Of Terror based on a John August idea. There is also Tinkerbell, which has Reese Witherspoon attached. Latter film is on track to happen before Peter Pan, and it is possible that there could be some crossover cast.

Reel

What's next, the "Pete & Pete" movie?!?!

Ghostboy

Just Withnail

Interesting! Will this happen before The Old Man And The Gun?

Reel

polkablues

I'm going to take this as a good sign that Disney's happy with how Pete's Dragon is turning out.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Ghostboy

Quote from: Just Withnail on April 13, 2016, 05:59:57 PM
Interesting! Will this happen before The Old Man And The Gun?

OLD MAN first. Plus something else.