David Lowery

Started by Robyn, January 26, 2013, 06:00:07 PM

Robyn

Well, someone had to do it.

For future news...

72teeth

I heard theres a guy that posts on here who could totally get us some inside skinny on his potential next project  :shock:

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Cloudy

This is the shit. It's really cool knowing that Xixax has the potential of breeding some quality filmmaking, or that people with a quality understanding of filmmaking love Xixax. Either way. This is the shit.

Tictacbk

After Gritty Sundance Debut On 'Ain't Them Bodies Saints', David Lowery To Reinvent 'Pete's Dragon' For Disney
Source: Deadline: http://bit.ly/15o9Rzs

EXCLUSIVE: I didn't see this one coming. After making his feature directing debut on one of the most talked-about films at Sundance Ain't Them Bodies Saints, David Lowery has hired on with writing partner Toby Halbrooks to script Pete's Dragon for Disney and producer Jim Whitaker. I'm told they will reinvent the core story of a venerable Disney family film. It will not be a musical and at this point Lowery is just engaged as writer. The original 1977 Pete's Dragon mixed an animated fire-breather with a live-action cast of actors that included Mickey Rooney, Red Buttons, Shelley Winters, Helen Reddy and Jim Dale, with Sean Marshall playing the orphan boy who comes to a town with his magical dragon, his abusive adoptive parents in hot dispute.

It is certainly a departure for Lowery, who made the jump from editor to director on Saints, a gritty drama he wrote and directed that stars Rooney Mara, Rami Malek, Casey Affleck and Ben Foster. It's the tale of an outlaw who escapes prison and sets across the Texas hills to reunite with his wife and the daughter he has never met. The film was acquired by IFC, which will release the pic August 16. Lowery's repped by WME.

cinemanarchist

My assholeness knows no bounds.

Ravi

Alexandro

this is really fantastic!!!
pete's dragon, the original, has always seemed to me like a wasted opportunity.
and the best of luck, ghostboy.

polkablues

This is the strangest, greatest, most hilarious thing ever.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Robyn

Reel

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkablues on March 19, 2013, 09:32:59 PM
This is the strangest, greatest, most hilarious thing ever.

This is our take on it too!

It's definitely a remake, albeit in name only, but we're pretty excited about the story we came up with. We are only writers on it, but fingers crossed for a classic and sincere family movie. With a mostly-practical FX dragon.

Next directing thing will be shortly down the road.

Just Withnail

Am.azing! Congratulations, and good luck!

Sleepless

Awesome. Congratulations. Are you only doing projects where there's a connection to a Rooney in some way?
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Reel

Quote from: Ghostboy on March 20, 2013, 02:01:15 AM
fingers crossed for a classic and sincere family movie. With a mostly-practical FX dragon.

NICE!

I haven't even seen Pete's Dragon BTW, definitely kicking my childhood self for that. I always got it mixed up with 'Puff The Magic Dragon.'

I'm wondering if the guys at Disney saw your attention to period detail in ATBS and thought you'd be a candidate for this?

RegularKarate

Seems like St. Nick is closer to Pete's Dragon in heart... don't know though SINCE I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING FROM ATBS!!!!

Seriously, congrats... fingers crossed on this one. Pete's Dragon is one of those movies I would watch every couple of days one summer (with the one kid on our street who had a VCR)... I haven't seen it in decades, but it still really stands out as an important film to me. I remember having a fight with my friend about whether the lyric was "Money Money Money BY the pound" (the correct me) or "Money Money Money IN the pound" (my friend, who also thought you were supposed to pee inside a girl during sex).