129 DVDs You Must Own

Started by MacGuffin, April 17, 2005, 06:12:25 PM

Stefen

he asks for it, and he likes it, or he wouldn't ask for it.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Stefenmac, i've been wanting to ask you this for awhile. can i have some of your dvds?

Only if you pay for my penile enlargement to compensate what you take.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sigur Rós

I enjoy when 03 posts endless lists of pretentious (is that spelled right?) shit  :)

Two Lane Blacktop

Quote from: 03my list (R1):

I've seen almost as many on 03's list as I have on the other list, but I like 03's list better.

And The Company Of Wolves is really on R1 DVD??  I never knew!  This makes my day.  

2LB
Body by Guinness

Pubrick

Quote from: SHAFTR"ooo, Look how different I am"
"ooo, look how shitty my diss is"
under the paving stones.

SHAFTR

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: SHAFTR"ooo, Look how different I am"
"ooo, look how shitty my diss is"

Did you just say "Diss"?  Even though you might have left Junior High, it's good to see that Junior High didn't leave you.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

pete

dude, you guys serious? (though I know stefen ain't 'cause that pussyass manchild IMed me about several movies on the list) 03 actually owns some good movies instead of I dunno, Star Wars platinum and Die Hard trilogy and TV show boxsets.  Most of them are just foreign arthouse films, and you're giving him shit over that?  that's pretty fucking self-righteous.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

samsong

Quote from: SHAFTRDid you just say "Diss"?  Even though you might have left Junior High, it's good to see that Junior High didn't leave you.

:bravo:

i thought the point of responding to p was to defend yourself.

rustinglass

Well, 03's got underground, so that makes what? two of us?
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gamblour.

I think the most serious of flaws in both 03's and the other's list is the lack of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblor HatesMySpaceandUI think the most serious of flaws in both 03's and the other's list is the lack of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory.

I proudly own that for DVD.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

03's list should be titled "Incredibly Random Movies To Own" if anything.

The biggest problem in 03's list is that it is hardly topical, unless 03's essential dvd list is a bunch of above average efforts sprinkled in with some underrated titles from stellar directors.  The list itself is not pretentious at all, it has not the talent to be so, but the fact that it is posted inside of this thread is incredibly pretentious.  Moreso, it is a lie of a list.  It is obviously tailored to impress its audience, from the "(not cc)" on Tin Drum to the inclusion of barely impressive titles like Rhinoceros, the list reeks of "I've been saving this list to put inside of a thread."

If you would argue that it is his honest list, I would argue that there is the notable pressence of esteemed directors.  It is always easier and perhaps more fun to love the lesser known titles, but hell, that should have its own thread.  You know what, Star Wars is an essential DVD goddamnit.  It just fucking is.
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: Gamblor HatesMySpaceandUI think the most serious of flaws in both 03's and the other's list is the lack of Under Siege 2: Dark Territory.

It's a great movie, isn't it? It was on over the weekend, I was surprised that the bad guy was so fucking hilarious and pitch perfect, and the special effects were still pretty cool. I liked it when I was a kid, and I still think it's great.
WWPTAD?

Stefen

I never notice 03 talking about movies or music, he just lists them. or mentions them, which anyone can do.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblor HatesMySpaceandU
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

It's a great movie, isn't it? It was on over the weekend, I was surprised that the bad guy was so fucking hilarious and pitch perfect, and the special effects were still pretty cool. I liked it when I was a kid, and I still think it's great.

Its so much fun. Segal has that presence about him that he can pull off the tough guy applause the bad guys give him through out the film. And yea, the bad guy is great. I remember watching Igby Goes Down and being so happy he was given even a one scene role. He's still working, I thought. He manages to be funny and oddily demonic at the same time. The Last Boy Scout is the pinnacle though of great one liners mixed with a shit, over the top action story.