The Truman Show

Started by Derek, October 21, 2003, 05:30:49 PM

Derek

The aspect ratio on this dvd is nearly fullscreen. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct aspect ratio as it was shown in theaters?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Ravi

It was shown at 1.85:1 in the US.  DVD Beaver has a comparison between the US DVD and some other edition.

Derek

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

supremelegend

Actually, the aspect ratio of this movie was 1.66:1 (like Picnic at Hanging Rock, Peter Weir's earlier film).... it was shown as 1.85:1 at most U.S. theaters, because of the way films are usually projected here, in just 1.85 or 2.35. The 1.66:1 aspect ratio is the correct aspect ratio, and the one Weir shot it in. You are actually seeing the movie the way the director intended on the DVD, and if you saw it in the theater, you were seeing it in an altered aspect ratio.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: RaviIt was shown at 1.85:1 in the US.  DVD Beaver has a comparison between the US DVD and some other edition.

I'm just tickled that there's something called "DVD Beaver." But, then again, I'm easily amused.  :)

Ravi

Quote from: supremelegendActually, the aspect ratio of this movie was 1.66:1 (like Picnic at Hanging Rock, Peter Weir's earlier film).... it was shown as 1.85:1 at most U.S. theaters, because of the way films are usually projected here, in just 1.85 or 2.35. The 1.66:1 aspect ratio is the correct aspect ratio, and the one Weir shot it in. You are actually seeing the movie the way the director intended on the DVD, and if you saw it in the theater, you were seeing it in an altered aspect ratio.

But he was probably protecting the frame for 1.85:1 at the same time.  Whether it is smart to frame for 1.66:1 when US theaters don't project that is another question.  It makes sense for this film, because it deals with a man whose life is on TV, and 1.66:1 is the closest cinematic AR to 1.33:1 (short of 1.37:1).

MacGuffin

Paramount has announced The Truman Show: Special Collector's Edition for release on 8/23. The release will include anamorphic widescreen video (at last), along with 8 deleted/extended scenes and the 2-part The Making of The Truman Show documentary.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

sickfins

and according to mr. i am deabe, director peter weir filmed in the 1.66:1 ratio to make it feel more like a television show.