Respect

Started by MacGuffin, October 25, 2003, 01:33:49 AM

godardian

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: godardianThat's not the point... the point is, either of us doing so would contribute to an atmosphere that's not what this board is supposed to be about. We would be detracting from it, rather than contributing.
if this board was strickly about film...I would agree...but I think it's obvious a lot of us have more than just that to talk about...maybe I am wrong, but like the worlds we live in...this board is proof that even though it's film that brings us togetther....

...all...I mean ALL ...have much more to say.

But there's just this ONE... specific... thing that's been asked to be toned down. Of course there's more to talk about than just film. But that one specific thing is making this place feel more exclusive than it needs to. If you were in a group of three guys and three girls, would you honestly feel comfortable talking about breasts and the size of breasts you like and which woman movie stars you find hot, in the enthusiastic-verging-on-masturbatory way some (again, I don't know why you think it's just you or even really you that we're necessarily talking about) on this board do? Do you think the women present would feel comfortable? Even all the other guys? There are more women coming into this community- a very good thing- and I think Macguffin is just pointing out that this online situation will "virtually" simulate the situation I just described.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

ask pookie where her comment stemmed from.  that's why I take it personally...

that's why I will do my part to cease.  That's all...nothing more.  Yes, I am a big offender of this talk...I admit, I will do my part...that, and nothing more.  I just don't want people to feel discouraged...about anything....whether it be girls, men...a shitty flick, or a decent lick.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: aclockworkjjbut don't share them cause they may not fit into this "xixaxian behavior".  If you think there aren't a few that will in fact try to mold you...think again.  Don't "post like this", "post like this"...do this, and whatever you do, "don't ever disagree" with a few.

This is the age old question, isn't it? It comes down to this. Demanding respect on a message board is not censorship.

Quote from: aclockworkjjYes, I am a big offender of this talk...I admit, I will do my part...that, and nothing more.
Quote from: aclockworkjjBut do I think some are (guys and girls) tight wads that can't take a joke...yes.

You apologize and you apologize, but you still defend it, using the "I was trying to be funny and some people don't get it" line. In the words of Sean Connery, you're playing both sides.

Gamblour.

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIn the words of Sean Connery, you're playing both sides.

You mean..."You're plahying booth shidez." Sorry, but if there's one thing I've been gifted with, it's my Connery impression.
WWPTAD?

godardian

Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: godardianI'm trying to paint you as some evil person.

Uh oh. A little flip of the singers...?

Come to think of it... I DID "flip singers"... avatar-wise.  :lol:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Gamblor the Manwhore
Quote from: godardianI'm trying to paint you as some evil person.

Uh oh. A little flip of the singers...?

Come to think of it... I DID "flip singers"... avatar-wise.  :lol:

Ahh...very nicely done! I toss it up and you slam dunk it  :yabbse-tongue:
WWPTAD?

SHAFTR

Alright, here is my 2 cents on this issue.

First off, I love women.  I don't mean that in just a sexual way.  Four of the (probably the top 5) most important people in my life are women.  The last two years of my life have been amazing (despite many very bad things happening) b/c of a girl.

I have noticed the comments and I guess my assumption with message boards is that everyone here is of the same demographic (straight college male), which is a very false presumption.  In fact, I don't know which members are females, so that has never influence my opinion on anyone.

I have been trying to think of offensive things I have said/done on this board.  I think the Jeter/Clemens photo is probably the closest, thinking about it now I can see how it could offend people.  

Mac's point is valid, and I think respect is important.  The option still exists though to avoid certain threads.  I think avatars are a problem though because they are kind of forced upon the readers, no matter the thread.

This board IS about film, but I think more of my personality has shown through non -film related posts (hell, read SHAFTR says...).

Anyways, for those I've insulted, I am sorry and if I could receive a PM about how I did so, I would like that.  So I know what I did and so I know what to avoid, and PMs are nice to get.

I understand how females are sometimes thought to be really hot girls who post.  I think that is male fantasy kicking in (she likes the same topics, what if she's hot too?  show me your boobs!).

This thread has also made me realize, in an indirect way, that I should throw in more of my film analysis (which is one reason why much respect goes to GT), than just comments of films (i liked it).

This is long, those of you who read it...thanks.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

I don't know what's more sad:
The fact that things have gotten so out of hand on the board that we actually need to address this stuff and argue about it
OR
The fact that a bunch of dudes are sitting around posting about it on a Saturday night (present company guilty, of course)

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SHAFTRJeter/Clemens photo
you hater!!!!....

SHAFTR

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
The fact that a bunch of dudes are sitting around posting about it on a Saturday night (present company guilty, of course)

I'm at my g/f's apartment....does that help?
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

Quote from: SHAFTRI'm at my g/f's apartment....does that help?
You're twice as sensitive now :wink:

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Weak2ndActThe fact that a bunch of dudes are sitting around posting about it on a Saturday night (present company guilty, of course)
guilty....as assumed.  THough the night is young, maybe a visitor later.

MacGuffin

QuoteDemanding respect on a message board is not censorship.

I'm not even demanding this request. I'm just stating that out of respect to our female members, we should be more mindful. Way I see it, there's nothing wrong with expressing the beauty of a woman, but when a thread about Uma Thurman goes to a discussion about her tits within a few posts... That's what I'm talking about. And GT is right, if the phrasing of the 'SEX' thread was different, I wouldn't have done this... But it was, so I did. It's not like that was the only thread with such vulgarities, just one I felt was the "last straw".

No where in my first post did I say 'these are the rules from now on' ('Quell' in my dictionary means supress; not extinguish). I didn't name names or point fingers and didn't accuse any one of being the sole culprit (I included myself, and that was the only person I named). I felt I expressed myself clearly enough that this issue should be addressed among us as a whole. I think some seem to have passed over the ladies who have posted their thoughts already, and I encourage you to go back and read them, and I hope more continue to do so. To end, I feel I got my idea across and those who understand it will take it to heart. Thank you.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanYou apologize and you apologize, but you still defend it, using the "I was trying to be funny and some people don't get it" line. In the words of Sean Connery, you're playing both sides.
either that or you continue to conjure up falsehoods about me to make your point seem relevant.  I said "sorry"  for for the "boobie" talk...as I didn't know it would offend....

But the stick up the ass can easily be directed yer way (not hatin')...you read like a ben stien ferris day off monotone.  you fabricate certainties and instead of adding a reply...you pick apart and quote each line of a given paragraph.

Jb...I like you...but you search of faults where they simply don't exist.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: aclockworkjjeither that or you continue to conjure up falsehoods about me to make your point seem relevant.

Right. Because I quoted two contradictory statements, and then said that you were contradicting yourself. Did I magically "conjure" these quotes?

Quote from: aclockworkjjI said "sorry"  for for the "boobie" talk...as I didn't know it would offend....

...and you still spite the offended by saying they just don't get it. That's not an apology.

Quote from: aclockworkjjyou read like a ben stien ferris day off monotone.

What makes me sound like that? I'm curious.

For the record, I don't like Ben Stein. And I don't really like "Ferris Beuller's Day Off." It's really just another overrated John Hughes movie, don't you think?

Quote from: aclockworkjjyou fabricate certainties and instead of adding a reply...you pick apart and quote each line of a given paragraph . . . you search of faults where they simply don't exist.

I like to quote a lot so people can see exactly what I'm reacting to, and so they can't get away with what you just said ("they simply don't exist"). If I didn't quote like that, you would accuse me of making generalizations.