Potential new P.T. project.

Started by marblefawn, October 05, 2005, 10:12:29 PM

marblefawn

http://whinecoloredsea.blogspot.com/2005/10/blind-item.html

BLIND ITEM

We here at The Whine Colored Sea are super well-connected with all the high-powered industry types. Or something. We've been sworn to secrecy about a potential project for one of our favorite filmmakers, so, uh, we'll have some fun keeping this one vague. Try to spot this one:

Which punch-drunk auteur got Focus Features to snap up the rights to David Grann's sprawling New Yorker piece "The Lost City of Z"*?

And in a completely unrelated note, I stumbled across an online version of an Esquire piece I never thought I'd see again. In December of 1999, the magazine asked various critics (and Martin Scorsese) "Which young filmmaker is The Next Scorsese?" The answers run from the obvious (Todd McCarthy picks, ahem, Paul Thomas Anderson) to the sad (Andrew Sarris opts for Kevin Smith). For the record, Martin Scorsese says The Next Martin Scorsese is Wes Anderson.

* I can't find an online link to the piece, but it appeared in the Sept. 19, 2005 edition of The New Yorker. Trust me when I say it's an unbelievable feat of writing/journalism. Grann synopsizes it thusly: "For centuries, adventurers have searched for evidence of a lost civilization in the Mato Grasso region of Brazil. Many of them have been swallowed up by the 'green hell' of the Amazonian rain forest--which has been described as 'the last great blank space in the world.'"

ono

Smacks of Aguirre, Wrath of God  Just a skosh.

Find Your Magali

Very interesting. I'm going to go scrounging around for a copy of that issue.

Pubrick

u brought Find Your Magali out of hiding!
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

It's one of the New Yorker's magazine-only features. One my friends is a subscriber, so I can get a copy from him.

I read another synpsis of the piece:

"...a lengthy (even by New Yorker standards) story by David Grann on the century-old effort to locate the British explorer Colonel Percy Harrison Fawcett, who disappeared in the Amazon jungle in 1925 with his son and a companion. I stayed up until late last night — after eating a plate of sausages and turning pages as quickly as I could with greasy fingers — to get to the end.

Grann himself ventures into the dense jungle to find out what happened to Fawcett, whose disappearance is one of the great unsolved mysteries of the century. It's a marvelous tale weaving together the history of Amazonian exploration, the story of Fawcett's likely demise and the current state of affairs in the Amazon, where rampant deforestation has utterly changed the state of the forest (certain areas explored by Fawcett that were once thick forest are now clear and smooth as a baby's bottom). Grann encounters several of the same tribes Fawcett met, one of whom may have killed him, and tells the story so well (it is the New Yorker, after all) that you'll immediately be tempted (as I was) to do a bunch of Fawcett research of your own."

Gold Trumpet

I'll stay skeptical. It doesn't correlate with his filmography. It's an exciting idea though. For me, the good news is I am at a university that has a library with New Yorker's entire catalogue of magazines. I'll read it likely tomorrow.

modage

yeah, this seems crazy.  but no crazier than an adam sandler comedy did, or oil! did either.  so if there is any truth to this then he seems really set on adapting SOMETHING.  i'd kinda prefer if he only made 'original' movies instead of leaping off from other peoples stories, but we'll see.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

hell just as long as hes making movies im good

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

he'll just as long as hes making movie's im goo'd

ono

hell just, as long as, hes making movies, im good

Alethia

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Alethia