Aguirre, der Zorn Gottes (Aguirre, Wrath of God)

Started by ono, July 14, 2003, 08:30:44 PM

ono

Possible spoilers.

This weekend I checked out six movies, and was exhausted by the time I got to this one.  Foreign films can really take a lot out of you.  This film started out dragging, but it slowly and slowly got better until the third act, where everything just seem to click.  I don't know why the film has obtained such an amazing, seemingly cult status, but the ending and whatever happens to get the film there may warrant it, so that's alright.  Surprised to see it on Ebert's  Sight and Sound Ten Best of All Time list, but after thinking about it for a while, I can understand why.  There are some damn good scenes in the film, and some less good ones that seem to fall into almost slapstick at times (the election of the king, the trial, and how the "king" meets his fate, all seemed out of place, and a little tongue in cheek, especially for the 1400s).

What really sold the film for me was what happened at the end.  Aguirre having his henchman chop the rebel's head off as he counts, then cut to a shot of the head with mouth still moving a bit, talking, before it dies.  And then, finally, Aguirre alone on the raft, with all those monkeys (where'd they come from?).  I wasn't sure why the film was so notorious, and that "Thriller" feel I was led to believe was there didn't seem as pervasive as I thought it'd be.  Rumor has it Herzog, the director, constantly threatened the lives of the actors and his own (he was suicidal) in order to get them to act in those unpleasant conditions, so the lines became blurred between film and reality.  Reminds me of Zwigoff in the making of Crumb, though I digress.  What I took from the movie was the proverbial message about greed, and the other message about the downfalls of overzealousness, and the silliness that some religious people succumb to.  But I guess that's up for debate.  ***/**** (7/10)

MrBurgerKing

Thanks for making a Herzog thread, I love you for this. I'll never forget it.

polkablues

"Spears are in this season...."

Great flick.  There's a making-of doc that makes it even better.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

The best film to do Herzog that I've seen is, by far, My Best Fiend. He's also a stitch in Julien Donkey-Boy. Of the films he's directed, I've only seen Fitzcarraldo, and it put me off seeing anything else of his. There was something so very tiresome about it, and I couldn't quite place what it was. It was a feat, but it had no life, either intellectually or viscerally, I guess is how I felt about it. The vampire one looks intriguing, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

polkablues

Godardian, is that Fassbinder in your avatar?  Because I swore after watching "Fox and His Friends" that I wouldn't put myself in the position of having to look at his face again.

Good director, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

godardian

Quote from: polkabluesGodardian, is that Fassbinder in your avatar?  Because I swore after watching "Fox and His Friends" that I wouldn't put myself in the position of having to look at his face again.

Good director, though.

Good call!. I had to, at least for a little while. I'm so sick to death of the cliche of gay guy as primped-up and good-looking. Some brilliant, strange-looking, legendary gay film director some people can't even stand to look at: That's my kinda culture-hero!
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianGood call!. I had to, at least for a little while. I'm so sick to death of the cliche of gay guy as primped-up and good-looking. Some brilliant, strange-looking, legendary gay film director some people can't even stand to look at: That's my kinda culture-hero!
i would identify him as a drug-fucked/addict director, before gay.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: P
Quote from: godardianGood call!. I had to, at least for a little while. I'm so sick to death of the cliche of gay guy as primped-up and good-looking. Some brilliant, strange-looking, legendary gay film director some people can't even stand to look at: That's my kinda culture-hero!
i would identify him as a drug-fucked/addict director, before gay.

Interesting biographically, but not as relevant as the gay thing to his work as we experience it.

samsong

I saw this movie three times within three days, the third time being at the American Cinematheque where they were doing a week long in person tribute to Herzog, which coincidentally happened to be the week when I found out who he was.  Aguirre, the Wrath of God is an incredible, hypnotic piece of epic cinema... one of my favorites.  For those themes about madness and obsession, I'll take this movie over Apocalypse Now (a film i love as well) any day.  Kinski's performance should be recognized with some of the best ever.  

Godardian, what's your favorite Fassbinder film?  Or i guess what do you recommend for a Fassbinder newbie... i've only seen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul which quickly found a spot on my top ten.  Which of his films do you (highly) recommend?