Stand By Me? Suck on this

Started by Ernie, June 11, 2003, 09:03:24 PM

Alethia

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaYes, but Richard Dreyfuss is hardly a plus for the movie considering he's in it for not five minutes, I'd say.

but he does narrate it, and that's good enough for me!

jokerspath

Ebeaman:
QuoteUm, yea...I suck at critiquing and reviewing movies...so I'll keep this short. I'll even pull a muscle and try not to ramble too much.
I appreciate your response.  I'm also a bit unsure of my analytical skills, and try not to say too much that I might trip myself up.  

I can understand your points (the schmaltzy blahblahblah) and can understand why you dislike the film.  But there are just a few things that I'd like to bring up in return.

QuoteI could swear there's a scene where they're talking about a group of women or something and which one they would fuck.
If I'm reading you right, you're talking about the Mickey Mouse Club conversation, saying "Annette" has big tits, blahblahblah.  I guess my view of the scene was some vulgar, barely pubescent kids talking about a girl on television they cannot have.  Rape is definitely not a possible implication of their vulgar speeches.

QuoteI don't care for a movie that wants to potray kids like the kids in Stand By Me as heroes. Kids that age can be HORNY or IMMATURE (of course) or maybe a little GROSS...but for christ's sake, off set that shit with a FEW likable traits.
What is there to dislike about Gordon's character.  He is a sensitive and talented kid who cannot stop hanging around the hangdog losers.
What about Chris Chambers?  He realizes Gordie's talent and is playfully jealous.  And you're told he became successful although he is stereotyped as a delinquet.  Vern's character is cowardly but likable; his weakness is endearing.  And Teddy, although he's probably the least likable of the four, has the moment with the junkyard man about his father, "the loony".  I find these more than sufficient to believe in these characters.

Regardless, it seems you dislike the movie because it reminded you of people you don't like or agree with, which is totally understandable.  It is good that there are some highschoolers mantaining a modicum of innocence out there.  Thanks for responding...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT