Steve Jobs and Pixar vs. Disney

Started by Jeremy Blackman, February 10, 2003, 05:56:32 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: Neil on June 16, 2009, 10:00:09 AM
I'm quoting said article
Quote from: Madonna is a stupid bitch on June 12, 2009, 02:33:56 AM
We'd Like To See Some Girl Leads, Pixar!

"Why is it that when women — who make up over half of the species, by the way — respectfully point out that they're underrepresented in movies, it's seen as some sort of angry feminist screed?"

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2009/06/dear_pixar_from_all_the_girls.html

no problem with feminism, just quoting.

haha... you're pointing out a quote that is talking about exactly what you're doing... was this an overly-long meta joke?

Neil

are you guys slow?

stop getting so anxious to post a reply and actually read some posts.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

hedwig

no need to be rude, neil. i read your post carefully and i still felt confused by your explanation.

what does this mean?
I believe the claim is to "respectfully point out that they're [women] underrepresented in movies" AND it comes off as a femist rant according to one of the womem.

i didn't agree with GT's position, so i don't know what you mean when you say "this left handed piece glows with a little more assertion than you two are letting on." did you read MY post? i was obviously not just chalking this up to a fanboyish desire to see chicks in Pixar movies. :yabbse-undecided:

Neil

Fair enough hedwig.  I am sorry.  Rude was not needed.  I was quoting the piece with the first sentence you give, i just kind of tied them together, those are all the words found in the article, i should have used the quote function.  You are correct though, you and GT weren't saying the same thing at all...I don't really disagree with either, I mean these things exist, but i'm just speaking of the actual importance of them, i believe it is as harmful as one allows it to be, maybe this is my adolescence  speaking though.

Also with the lefty comment, i consider npr to be more leaning towards the liberal side of things. doesn't mean it's accurate, but at any rate i should not have lumped you in there..  I was just frustrated. It happens. Sorry man.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

MacGuffin

Quote from: MacGuffin on January 24, 2008, 10:22:12 AM
Toy Story Trio Goes 3-D!
Source: Walt Disney Studios

The Walt Disney Studios is taking the latest advances in digital 3-D technology "to infinity and beyond" with ambitious plans to debut new Disney Digital 3-D(TM) versions of Disney-Pixar's Toy Story on October 2nd, 2009, and Toy Story 2 on February 12th, 2010, it was announced by Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. Both of these beloved animated features are being newly converted to 3-D in advance of the June 18th, 2010 release of Disney-Pixar's Toy Story 3, which is being produced as a 3-D motion picture and will represent the state-of-the-art for the genre. Veteran Pixar filmmaker Lee Unkrich (co-director Toy Story 2) is directing.

Academy Award®-winning filmmaker John Lasseter (director of the first two "Toy Story" films and chief creative officer for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios) will personally oversee the creative side of the 3-D conversions for Toy Story and Toy Story 2 with his acclaimed team of technical wizards handling all the necessary steps in the conversion process.

Commenting on the announcement, Cook said, "We are committed to bringing moviegoers the best and most exciting 3-D movie experience, and we think they're going to love seeing Buzz Lightyear, Woody, and all the wonderful 'Toy Story' cast of characters in an eye popping and dazzling way. John Lasseter and the animation team are putting all their passion and hard work into making this the greatest 3-D experience yet, and we're excited to share their efforts with audiences everywhere."

Lasseter added, "The 'Toy Story' films and characters will always hold a very special place in our hearts and we're so excited to be bringing this landmark film back for audiences to enjoy in a whole new way thanks to the latest in 3-D technology. I am sure that this is going to be nothing short of fantastic and people are going to be blown away by the experience. With 'Toy Story 3' shaping up to be another great adventure for Buzz, Woody and the gang from Andy's room, we thought it would be great to let audiences experience the first two films all over again and in a brand new way. 3-D offers lots of great new possibilities for the art of animation and we will continue to use this new technology to tell our stories in the best possible way."

In converting Toy Story and Toy Story 2 to state-of-the-art 3-D films, the technical team is retrieving all of the original digital elements and rebuilding them in 3-D.

Originally released by Walt Disney Pictures in 1995, Toy Story was the first feature film from Pixar Animation Studios and director John Lasseter. The film went on to receive Oscar® nominations for Original Score, Original Song, and Screenplay, and earned Lasseter a Special Achievement Award "for the development and inspired application of techniques that have made possible the first feature-length computer-animated film." Toy Story 2 was released in 1999, and reunited voice talents Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, in their roles as Woody and Buzz. The film became one of the most popular animated features of all time, and received an Academy Award® nomination for Original Song.

Trailer here.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Disney to buy Marvel for $4 billion
Stock and cash deal to combine character library
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Mickey and Donald, meet Spider-Man!

Disney is purchasing Marvel for $4 billion. Disney said Monday that it will acquire the superhero factory in a cash and stock transaction that values each share of Marvel at $50, a 29% premium to where the stock closed Friday.

Disney will discuss the proposed transaction, which still needs regulatory approval, later Monday, when the companies will detail the fallout -- if any -- the merger will have on several films that Marvel's own studio has in the works based on characters such as Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.

"We'll take a look and see, but the bottom line is we like what they've been doing so far," Disney CFO Tom Staggs told The Hollywood Reporter.

Disney said it will pay $30 in cash plus about three-quarters of a Disney share for each share of Marvel. The payment consideration will fluctuate depending on the price of Disney shares so that not less than 40% of the price tag will consist of Disney stock.

"Disney stock is attractively priced and that's why it's important to Marvel," said Staggs.

Disney acquires ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters to be overseen by Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter, who is charged with cherry-picking when and where they'll show up within Disney's vast empire, including online and in video games.

The move marks the second largest acquisition since Bob Iger replaced Michael Eisner as CEO of Disney and quickly purchased Pixar for $7 billion.

"We believe that adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation," Iger said.

"Disney is the perfect home for Marvel's fantastic library of characters given its proven ability to expand content creation and licensing businesses," Perlmutter said. "This is an unparalleled opportunity for Marvel to build upon its vibrant brand and character properties by accessing Disney's tremendous global organization and infrastructure around the world."

In a conference call Monday morning, Iger said the deal should close by year's end.

He called the Marvel integration an opportunity similar to the $7 billion acquisition of Pixar a few years ago, saying the combined assets will be more valuable than its separate parts. And Iger pointed to the global and cross-platform appeal of Marvel's characters as key opportunities in his second-biggest acquisition at Disney that are even more important in "a world of increasing consumer choice."

Iger said though that longer-term Disney wants to be the exclusive distributor of Marvel films. While the company respects and will honor Marvel's third-party licensing deals with Paramount, Fox and Sony, "it clearly would be in our best interest if we ended up as the sole distributor," he said. "When you distribute your own films, the opportunity is even better."

The Paramount deal, for example, contemplates another five more pictures and will then be reviewed, Staggs said.

Asked about potential Pixar-Marvel synergies, Iger said Disney executives have had some conversations internally, and Pixar creative guru John Lasseter has met with Marvel folks as well. "The group got pretty excited pretty fast," Iger said, adding he expects exciting collaboration opportunities. "Sparks will fly," he said.

Staggs said the Marvel deal will dilute Disney's earnings in the mid-single-digit range in fiscal 2010. He projected it should add to earnings by fiscal 2012.

Miller Tabak analyst David Joyce called the deal a "good move" for Disney, even though it "should put some near-term risk arbitration pressure on it."

He pointed out that the Pixar acquisition a few years ago worked out well for Disney under Iger's leadership.

"Disney already knows how to monetize characters across multiple platforms, and now it has 5,000 (Marvel) characters to apply its success to," Joyce said. "It helps give Disney a new, rational area to expand its exposure to younger audiences, especially boys, in which Disney had lost some balance in recent years." Iger said more Marvel content will, for example, be seen on the boys-centric Disney XD channel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

squints

does this mean we won't see anymore movies as wonderfully violent as The Punisher: War Zone?
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Reinhold

Quote from: squints on August 31, 2009, 04:36:10 PM
does this mean we won't see anymore movies as wonderfully violent as The Punisher: War Zone?

No, it means that we're going to see wonderfully violent new titles like Toy Story 4: War Zone.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Reinhold on August 31, 2009, 07:29:02 PM
Quote from: squints on August 31, 2009, 04:36:10 PM

No, it means that we're going to see wonderfully violent new titles like Toy Story 4: War Zone.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

matt35mm

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

With Cook Gone Is "Pirates 4" In Jeopardy?
By Garth Franklin
Source: Dark Horizons

Monday September 21st 2009

With Dick Cook's shock departure on Friday after seven years as chairman of The Walt Disney Studios, the lingering aftershocks have yet to really have an impact though rumors have been running rampant even as the juicy details have yet to really emerge.

The news broke on Friday afternoon and was quickly followed by official statements from both Cook and Disney President and CEO Bob Iger which essentially said nothing beyond PR-approved empty platitudes.

Earlier this year it was reported that Iger blamed Disney's film division, specifically it's live-action efforts, for the company's severe drop in operating income due to less than expected returns on Disney's disappointing Holiday 2008/Early 2009 film line-up. That line-up included such low-to-moderate performing titles as "Bedtime Stories," "Race to Witch Mountain," "Confessions of a Shopaholic," "Earth" and the Jonas Brothers 3D concert movie. The studio has had success since with "Up," "The Proposal" and the "Hannah Montana" movie all doing well above expectations.

The loss of Cook however, generally considered of the most popular executives in the industry and a veteran with nearly four decades of experience at the studio, has not played well. In fact speculation has quickly begun to spread that many of the studio's upcoming projects and promising relationships are now on questionable, if not outright shaky ground.

For example is an LA Times interview with Johnny Depp about Cook's departure. Depp says his enthusiasm to be a part of a fourth "Pirates" movie has waned with the news of Cook's exit. "There's a fissure, a crack in my enthusiasm at the moment" says Depp who claims one of the big reasons he committed to the film was Cook's involvement.

Cook himself was one of the key reasons why Depp's Jack Sparrow performance in the first 'Pirates' remained intact as many in the studio expected a more toned down and atypical pirate-like interpretation. Cook is also allegedly one of the big reasons behind Steven Spielberg and Stacey Snider's Dreamworks/Disney deal and so Iger will likely fill Cook's now empty position with someone who'll try to keep the Dreamworks relationship strong.

Pubrick

first of all, fuck pirates of the carribean.

secondly, i'm sure johnny "needs a new pair of diamond shoes" depp is just using this old fart as an excuse to get out of this soul-destroying franchise. isn't verbinski out already? i can't wait for all franchises to end.

anyway, those pics above are amazing. the best one is Carl Fredricksen hulking out.
under the paving stones.